Home | About | Donate

Residents of Welsh Village Set to Become UK's First Climate Refugees As Soon As 2042

Residents of Welsh Village Set to Become UK's First Climate Refugees As Soon As 2042

Julia Conley, staff writer

Residents of a Welsh coastal village are set to become the first climate refugees in the United Kingdom.

The 850 residents of Fairbourne will meet next month to discuss a plan that the local lawmaking body, Gwynedd Council, is developing to evacuate the town by 2054 at the latest, amid concerns about rising sea levels.

2 Likes

The residents of Fairbourne, a village in existential crisis and of ironic naming, has the relative luxury of time to plan in cooperation with resources larger than itself. The conversion to a salt marsh is greatly appreciated by this environmental hydrologist. Let’s wish them well and remember that oh so many villages throughout the coasts of the world will not be so fortunate.

1 Like

It’s becoming very difficult to distinguish between the climate refugees and those that are refugees of the USAs 21st century resource wars. In the end I suppose they are pretty much the same.
We are quickly approaching a “critical mass” when it comes to our climate and our ever dwindling petroleum resources. Remember peak oil? Well it’s here. There are now three times as many wells as there were just 20 years ago, yet they are now just barely maintaining supply. All that despite the fact that demand has plateaued right along with supply, with renewables taking another 2% of the market every year. Yet the west, lead by the USA, insists on fighting regional wars in the Middle East and central and South America (and a few in Africa) in order to consolidate the remaining reserves, creating a massive refugee crisis in Eastern Europe and along Americas southern border. A refugee crisis only exacerbating the growing one from rising seas, inland flooding, and drought.
I guessed back in the 1990’s that humankind, and particularly Americans, would have a hard time grasping both peak oil and global warming. They are so obtuse, and have grown so fat on the technology boom of the late 20th century that they simply cannot fathom a world where the weather is out of control and petroleum by products don’t exist. I guessed back then that it would take a singular disaster, one reminiscent of a Hollywood blockbuster, to get people to change their habits and recognize their fate. Yet one has not materialized. It has been a slow march of ever increasing disasters that have us still living in the same kind of denial that a frog has in a pot of hot water. Of course the saddest part is that the frog has no intellect. It won’t know what’s happening to it until it’s being served with two side dishes. Mankind on the other hand knows exactly what’s happening, yet we CHOOSE to do nothing, or at least the equivalent of nothing.
In the end I guess that old philosophical genius George W Bush May have been correct. The rapture may be our exit strategy now.

1 Like

Don’t set your snooze alarm to 2041. The feed back loop will become an exponential runaway by 2042. The soft propaganda that it is a minor inconvenience since you will have to move due to rising water will be among the least problems in 2042. The 1% will gladly help you to overcome the symptoms with their usury and will spend down to their last $10,000,000,000 (each) to stop anyone from actually going after the cause(s)… extracted carbon and the ancillary products.

Don’t forget the exponential function. Sea level rise is accelerating year over year as more CO2 is loaded into the atmosphere. Greenland and Antarctica’s melt rates will only increase ever moreso. As a result, this Welch village will be underwater way before 2042. That’s only my educated guess, however.

1 Like

Why do people put permanent housing so dangerously close to sea level. That includes the people that rebuild along the shore of the Mississippi, and other flood prone rivers?
I won’t have the same amount of sympathy for these as I will for the ones on higher ground.

I guess people want to live right in the front row of Nature’s beauty. Many homes were lost in Northern California back in 1983 in the San Francisco Bay area (I lived there at the time) when a huge El Nino system dumped rain on the State. We watched house after house in Pacifica fall into the ocean as cliffs crumbled away. I was only 16 years old then, but I remember thinking, “Why did they build their homes so close to the cliffs’ edge?” Maybe it’s Humankinds desire to feel as though they/we are controlling Nature.

Just imagine when Metro Miami, Norfolk, and lower Manhattan have to be permanently evacuated. We will see it in our lifetimes!

1 Like

At least where there are subways people will have a new sport. Cave diving city style.

Goes back further than that. I lived in California when I was 7, in the 60’s and remember seeing houses hanging over the edge of hillsides on stilts and asking why they were so stupid. After that, I lived in North Carolina and visited the beach regularly. The stupidity took a little longer to take hold there. The older beach houses were invariably the ones further back from the water, a quarter mile some of them. The newer ones were the ones right beside the shore.

1 Like

There is no city anywhere in the world that is built to withstand the kind of devastating climate that is about to become the new normal. Be it massive earthquakes, “century” storms (now a bi yearly event), tornadoes, hurricanes or fire igniting droughts.
We will all experience one or more of these things no matter where we live, and that includes sites with nuclear power plants all around the world. Chances of there even being a 2042 is slim at best.

I fear you are correct. If the 50 gigaton burp of CH4 occurs in the Arctic sea bed, I think the proverbial fat lady will have sung her last song.

Indeed. The scientists studying the methane leaks from Siberian permafrost say we may have as little as 7-35 months left until it becomes a full blown rupture.
It looks like this really is it. Millions of years of evolution, countless unfathomable struggles and trials all to accomplish…this.
No idea what the ultimate purpose of life was, but i am pretty certain it was a failure.

2 Likes

There is no purpose to life outside of self-perpetuation.

1 Like

I always thought a self regulating, self perpetuating experiment seemed plausible. Perhaps with the goal of perfecting organic life. Doesn’t matter much now i suppose.

As I often say, “it’s the Human Experiment” that is the failure…though we did create beautiful works of art and music over the centuries. What a loss. Moreso to the loss of biodiversity we’re taking down with us. And now I just read that Crumpus wants to end all long term studies of Climate Change. We really are done…

1 Like