Home | About | Donate

RESIST DAY #41: What You Can Do Today

RESIST DAY #41: What You Can Do Today

Common Dreams staff

Resistance in your community, across the country, and around the globe

Eh. Resist what, and how? By leaving a message for our legislators, telling them we don't approve? I don't think they care. Why would they? The same people we rail against are re-elected, often only because they are assumed to be the "lesser of the evils." Politicians have their own agendas.

As for the Women's March, no, we haven't heard anything indicating economic justice. The Women's March is seen as just another "middle class thing" by many, and much of the country no longer sees protecting the advantages of the middle class as a critically urgent issue. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

What matters the most to people is whether they have the means to keep their families together, housed and fed. Many don't. Democrats brought the war on the poor to fruition in the 1990s. Over the past 20 years, countless families have been torn apart, and the overall life expectancy of the US poor has fallen below that of every developed nation. The US shut down/shipped out a huge number of jobs since the 1980s, ended actual welfare aid in the 1990s. We can't do anything to save our collectively butts without legitimately addressing our poverty crisis, and we don't want to.

Hey Dems. let's register as Republicans and primary some of these cretins. I loved Ike and voted for Nixon twice, in spite of his warts. I know a lot of Republicans, they are not all bad, stupid, myopic, xenophobic misogynists. Some are actually human and not all get their news from Fox.

I know -- tell Kellyanne Whatsername to get her feet off the sofa. That'll show 'em!