Home | About | Donate

Resisting Trump: The Great American Awakening

Resisting Trump: The Great American Awakening

Robert C. Koehler

Old wounds break open. Deep, encrusted wrongs are suddenly visible. The streets flow with anger and solidarity. The past and the future meet.

The news is All Trump, All the Time, but what’s really happening is only minimally about Donald Trump, even though his outrageous actions and bizarre alliances are the trigger.

lot's to think about, here! and we citizens must think long and hard about how to abandon this road to destruction and find a new path toward a better future. demonstrating is not enough. in fact many of the demonstrations are more about identity politics that solidarity. the dnc sees trump as an opportunity for them to win back congress and the white house and as robert says the elected will not and cannot save us. it's up to us to reassess our life priorities and stop supporting an imperial, capitalistic system which feeds on war, exploitation and death. i know, old habits die hard, but koehler is spot on with this:
In point of fact, however, the United States has always been an empire, a national entity certain of its enemies — both internal and external — and focused on conquest and exploitation. Yes, it’s been more than that as well. But the time has come to face the totality of who we are and reach for real change.

we cannot afford empire america neither morally nor financially. let it fall under the weight of its own excess. let empire american be the last of a long line of failed empires. aren't we humans better than this?

Thank you for this excellent article, Robert.

May it be so! A nation that refuses to face its history cannot have a future.

IT Is an opportunity for the Great (though I hesitate to use that word...) American Awakening. We can turn to those who are already awake and join forces in a national consciousness-raising that is truthful and action-oriented. Hard work but lots of fun, too.

I saw a sign at a rally recently that said, "been holding this since the 60's." That sums up how I feel.

I am heartened to see all the actions, better late than never. But many people are holding dearly to their ignorance and are in a foul mood. I'd like to bop them on the head with something but I think reality is doing a pretty good job of that.

Resist!

Yes, I think so.

I just watched the movie "Sully" - about the airline pilot who landed that Airbus A320 on the Hudson River in January, 2009, and all 155 passengers survived.

Focused on the likes of the politicians and financiers of the last several decades, the movie reminded me that there really are many many extraordinarily competent and decent people around. It made me proud to be a human being again.

Obviously little or no comparable competence is required to become 'power and privilege'. But perhaps one must be a sociopath ?

I think I personally have lost all faith in 'the system' - elections and the like. We are trying to 'fix' a criminal racket. I don't think it can be done.

Perhaps Robert Koehler is right - and the question Lincoln posed will be answered:

"Why should there not be a patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people ? Is there any better or equal hope in the world ?"

During the 60s you were either part of the solution or part of the problem...there was no gray area.

The 70s ushered in a very gray era that accelerated with the 1980s Saint Ron revolution and Democratic Leadership Council (DLC) formation that pushed the diminishing numbers of those who continued to be part of the solution to the margins and demonized us...until now.

In Trump's Murka if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

Robert,

Thank you for reminding of Bob Fitrakis and Harvey Wasserman's courageous work. As much as I appreciate your particular passion, there's something missing, i.e., Deep State analysis --- for reference Peter D Scott, and Nafeez Ahmed.

Progressives and liberals dismiss and regressives repel, then attract (when rhinos out of power). "Deep State" is an analytic tool not a specific noun --- necessarily..

Also, catch up with cognitive science and George Lakoff's work.

There are more than two enemies here, railing against Trumpists (Yes!) alone indicates you don't see the whole. Go deeper my friend.

Any time our "socalled" president decides to take on Serious campaign finance reform, income inequality, and of course the utter fantasy of Climate Change well then I will eagerly listen to what this man wants to say. If he is going to rant on about being abused by the press and drivel about his majority and its size compared to Obama's and Clinton's then I'll be watching something worthwhile like Vern and Shirley reruns, So far he screwed up his very close win by saying it was a mandate from the people, then he picked people for his cabinet who have no possible day to day connection with average Americans, two of which have withdrawn from service. He tweets like a bird with no more effect but with a great deal less grace and does so to try to cover the fact that little is getting done.

Would that there never were lynch mobs or terrorists.

Without the DLC and Third Way we wouldn't be in this mess.

Freedom is not free; you have to fight like hell for it every day. Wake up America. Get the hell out of the food court at the mall and get to the streets. Power yields only to greater power. Those in -power will not roll over; they must be rolled over. Paraphrasing Ben Franklin: Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither. The time for action is now, in place, right where you are!

It is not just about Trump. It is about the evils that produced him. They are what have awakened the sleeping lion. We will resist those evils with openness, tolerance, compassion, social justice and love for people, animals, planet, community and peace on earth. Only the convergence of all our progressive movements can defeat the evils of Trumpism. #NoBans, #NoWalls, #NoPipelines, #Resist, #Revolt, #Rebel

Please continue to post. You provide a counterpoint to documentation that enhances the recognition of precisely how those terrified of recognizing the symptoms of collapse perpetuate failed empire as if nothing exists other than empire. Part of that sad swallow is the argumentum ad hominem. You might want to become familiar with it.

Good article, as far as it goes. Would have liked to hear a lot more about the nature of the resistance, and more examples of how this is being expressed.

“TO BE HOPEFUL in bad times is not just foolishly romantic. It is based on the fact that human history is a history not only of cruelty, but also of compassion, sacrifice, courage, kindness.
What we choose to emphasize in this complex history will determine our lives. If we see only the worst, it destroys our capacity to do something. If we remember those times and places—and there are so many—where people have behaved magnificently, this gives us the energy to act, and at least the possibility of sending this spinning top of a world in a different direction.
And if we do act, in however small a way, we don’t have to wait for some grand utopian future. The future is an infinite succession of presents, and to live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvelous victory.”
― Howard Zinn

hah! i thought to say that this poster who drew your response would most likely have a very short visit with the common dream's family.

The Media is Mightier Than War ©

As a Marine Vietnam Veteran for Peace and former Community Organizer trained by Saul Alinsky's executive team in the mid-70s, I concur with the perception that the U.S. is an "empire!" I recently viewed Oliver Stone's "Untold History of the United States" which was frightening and horribly sad.

Thus the challenge for the progressive media is to enhance its analysis with stories How to Occupy the elitist U.S. Foreign (most often Folly) Policy establishment! Noam Chomsky started to address this existential strategy in his book, "Occupy".

We The People (WTP) MUST demand to participate in the decisions about whose sons and daughters serve, sacrifice and suffer, and who pays! In essence, who will own the Soul of U.S. Foreign Policy = the 99% or the pernicious, cowardly 1%? The latter and their adult children should be drafted immediately as grunts and put on the front lines searching for IEDs supporting our brave volunteers purportedly protecting "our way of life."

WTP must connect U.S. Folly Policy, especially vast expenditures for preventive wars of empire to our devastated economy! This point of concurrence must enlighten Americans, as organized, independent thinkers so that they can influence and eliminate the propensity to wage WAR by delusional members of the Complex that President Eisenhower and Dr. Martin Luther King (and others) warned us about.

Communities must strategically organize nation-wide and participate fully and equally in the foreign policy debates creating modesty, realism, transparency and accountability, keeping in mind that WAR PROFITEERING is the existential threat to our humanity!

When it comes to protecting and supporting our troops, veterans and their families, herein lies the moral essence of U.S. citizen obligation. Therefore, one of the greatest challenges is going beyond the villains, grossly incompetent national security officials, insidious politicians and lapdog pundits, devastated victims and heroes of the 9/11 Attack (and subsequent vile debacles in Iraq and Afghanistan) to intensive, comprehensive, open debates about those critical issues of our economic security, human and civil rights, justice, sustainable defense and foreign policy objectives, and how best to counterattack terrorism and eliminate its underlying roots and hateful true believers everywhere, especially the hatemongers in America.

We must deeply understand the very complex nature of genuine fears, threats, and the concomitant measured responses, which must eliminate the obsolete components, assumptions and foundations of post-World War II U.S. Folly Policy, and their most devastating economic and environmental impacts on communities here and entire cultures abroad.

As citizens of a democracy, we MUST, repeat, must demand and integrate the facts (genuine intelligence and public knowledge) to fully comprehend the enormous challenges before us. We must rethink our political and diplomatic relations, passionately reflecting on and changing our values and allegiances that have had and continues to have brutal effects on our fellow humans. We must strongly influence our foreign policy decision making which has profound and devastating impacts on hundreds of millions of men, women, and children.

In strategic collaboration with the International Criminal Court, The Hague, our justice system must hold elected and/or appointed decision-makers and officials accountable with severe sanctions when they break international and US laws ~ crimes against humanity, genocide and peace...etc.

WTP are the Best and Brightest and ultimately responsible for their decisions. We must instruct our government employees about the great truths for solving our most dangerous problems. This dynamic struggle is about our core beliefs and ideas of our diminished democracy, its vision and the underlying democratic principles and values inherent in our Constitution, Declaration of Independence and most international treaties that inspire us to take preemptive actions to protect our world...when we choose.

Arthur Engendorf, a Vietnam Veteran author notes, “healing is the way we restore ourselves...with a little help from our friends, we can heal ourselves, even from war...healing culminates in a renewed vision of what is possible for us and our world. In light of this vision, our individual healing shifts from being the center of attention to an instance of much more encompassing possibility ~ healing for all humanity.”

Legitimacy of moral life depends on the willingness of men and women to struggle with such questions before they decide what to do. Also Karl Jaspers, a Jewish-tainted German WW II philosopher notes, “all men, like all nations, are tested twice in the moral realm ~ first by what they do, then by what they make of what they do. A condition of responsibility denotes a kind of second chance: men are, as if by a kind of grace, given a chance to repay to the living what it is they find themselves owing the dead.”

President Anwar Sadat noted before going to Israel to Wage Peace ~ “To every man on this land who has sacrificed himself, to every woman who has given her son for the battle, and to every youth, I say this: we will not allow any single one of you to be hurt so long as we can make peace. We will destroy the idols of fear and we will be victorious over the enemies of life.”

Sean O’Casey ~ “The bells of the world have tolled long enough for death, let them now ring out for life...a dead youth is a blasphemy against the God of Life, no one desires war, but a fool or a madman, and there is no longer room [for them]...we affirm the infallibility of the brotherhood of man the world over.”

Gandhi ~ “My patriotism is not an exclusive thing. It is all embracing and I should reject that patriotism which sought to mount upon the distress of the exploitation of other nationalities. The concept of my patriotism is nothing if it not always, in every case, without exception, consistent with the broadest good of humanity at large.”

Salmon Oliver Levinson ~ "War as an institution to settle disputes and establish justice among nations is the most barbarous and indefensible thing in civilization. The real disease of the world is the legality and availability of war . . . [W]e should have, not as now, laws of war, but laws against war; there are no laws of murdering or of poisoning, but laws against them."

Sean MacBride ~ “Peace then has to be the DESPERATE IMPERATIVE of humanity.”

To ignite change for the common good ~ this will take incredible moral and political courage to choose. Will the Common Dreamers choose to > Wage Peace?

Treasure Life & Semper Fidelis.

David DeChant
Jarhead Clan
Combat Intelligence NCO
Assigned to Scouts