Home | About | Donate

Resolution Condemning Trump's Racist Attacks 'Not Enough,' Say Progressives: 'We Must Impeach'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/07/17/resolution-condemning-trumps-racist-attacks-not-enough-say-progressives-we-must

The DNC/DCCC echo chamber blown completely out of proportion [ quite literally in terms of all criteria inherent to aspirations of “representative democracy” ] by the fifth estate eaten alive by advertising revenue priorities; Citizens United and the 21st century sphere of predatory capitalism. The latter is now demonstrably proven to be thoroughly deluded by its cancerous growth into the material realm. We are presented the conundrum epitomized by the “Gordion Knot”.

We prepare for elections and STILL the corrupt machinery, long proven to be manipulated by the interests of the above - is not being addressed. The address to which attention is due would appear to be the following:

IN CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America

“When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.”
A bunch of longhaired hippymusicians got it right decades ago.

By the way … “the devil is in the details” is an expression worth revisiting. It tends to be considered only in terms of ex post facto analysis. Something is laid out on paper and you have to check off all the details. It needs to come off the paper and applied to description of the arrival and fetid presence of the satanic using the media to create constant tsunami of detail FAR BEYOND what is applicable, necessary, functional and healthy.
Like the devilishly evasive responses to placing a law based dead stop on abuses. Those details? A virtual parallel ‘class’ universe called one thing to those from whom material gain is being extracted - thee and me - and another for those accumulating the treasures from those extractions - 90% of the planet and her creatures.

Time to name ALL the “classes” under the rubric of predatory capitalism.

2 Likes

While removing the Trumpster fire from office is a complete pipe dream, impeachment proceedings must be held, if for no other reason than to rally the troops and excite the progressive base prior to the 2020 election cycle.
Just look at recent history. The GOP was in a similar pickle dealing with the transgressions of Bill Clinton. They knew they couldn’t possibly remove him from office with a democratic majority in the senate. However, they deftly used the proceedings as red meat for their base, rallying their voters into action in 2000. The result was the beginning of the American conservatives end game. In 2000 they not only won a presidency for the utterly corrupt imbecile W, they began a revolution among the states that saw the democrats not only lose governorships but entire state houses. And now in subsequent elections they have further solidified their minority/majority to the point where in 2010, they were able to gerrymander all the key states and thus guarantee the survival of their ideology for another ten years.
2020 is too important to be left to the likes of Nancy Pelosi. She and her cronies just don’t seem capable seeing the big picture. 2020 will either see the nation turn away from fascism, or it will see a compliant and complacent Democratic Party march arm in arm with the GOP into the authoritarian meat grinder.
Any turn away from fascism has to start with impeachment hearings.

8 Likes

62,984,828 voted for this putz. Boggles my mind. The physicist in me assumes it’s a matter-antimatter thing, or at least an anti-judgment thing. America’s religiosity toward politics has left rational discourse in the dustbin of history. Until policies and principles are returned to the focus of elections, I expect more of the same erosion of this nation. How can so many people be so stupid? H. L. Mencken was right. “As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” He did leave out a host of psychological dysfunctionalities, however.

3 Likes

You have to keep in mind, trump received only slightly more votes than did Mitt Romney 4 years before. And unlike the bullshit narrative that the delusional Democratic Party continues to push (the russkies somehow manipulated masses of democrats to vote for Trump) the truth is very simple. So long as voter turnout rates remain in 52-55% range Republican presidential candidates will always garner around 45% of the vote, without even trying. That group, which encompasses about 25% of the actual eligible voters, are the most loyal in the nation. That means that the average GOP candidate needs only win a very small percentage of the independent voters in order to achieve victory.
Trump won for the same reason W won. THEIR faithful came out and voted, and all the while the democrats ran another milquetoast center/right moderate that their electorate met with a collective yawn, and ignored the fact that 8-10 million democratic voters had been purged from voter rolls in 5 key states.
Apathy and voter suppression are how the republicans won in 2016. They’ve been running that playbook since 2000, and will continue to do so, as it’s the only arrow they have left.

8 Likes

You don’t galvanize a nation by politics as usual.

You inspire by standing on high principal, and demonstrating courage.

7 Likes

Conventional wisdom holds that failed impeachments hurt the impeaching party. The GOP got beat up in the 98 elections over it, and in 2000, they did lose to Gore but also in Congress, too (but still kept the Senate).

This is what Pelosi’s thinking about. Although since they’re already getting their butts kicked, she’s probably wrong about the price the party would pay for trying to impeach a president they can’t get to.

1 Like

Actually, what progressives need to do is get octogenarians like Pelosi, Hoyer, Feinstein… and on and on-- to retire. As any reasonable, responsible and decent person would have done some several years ago.

Next, it’s high past time to take out embarrassingly corrupt, loudmouthed wannabee Trump/Clinton like ones, such as Adam Schiff and Josh Gottheimer. To name but a few on the congressional level.

There’s are couple dozen- but really, not all that many to take out of the equation to change the long term losing streak,

2 Likes

Yeah, but why elect a Congress, if they mean to just sit there? They’re sworn to take care of the people’s business, goddam it. Is there any question whether it’s the duty of Congress to impeach a tyrant? All this focus-group cautious calculation (personified in Pelosi) is driving the whole country straight into the ditch.

Don’t forget that Pelosi has been protecting Republicans for a long, long time. The deceptive illusion is that the right (Pelosi) and the far-right (tRump) are the “left” and “right” in American politics.

“Impeachment is off the table.” Bush

“It’s not worth it.” tRump

“the green whatever.” Corporations

1 Like

Phew, thought for a second DC would move on to fixing this country.

But no, we’ve found another reason to mull over another Trump impeachment for the remainder of his presidency, which might be extended thanks to liberals and their identity exploitation.

1 Like

The Democrats have been suffering from conventional wisdom syndrome for decades, and apparently the leadership yet believes that the best way to beat Republicans is to appeal to Republicans.

3 Likes

The Democrats have suffered from conventional wisdom syndrome for decades. Their conventional wisdom has been that the center is where all the votes are and despite an abysmal record of Republican policy success and Dem electoral failure they still cling to that antiquated notion.

1 Like

I was merely explaining the situation, not defending it.

As to your question, sure, I’d love a Congress that worked like Schoolhouse Rock said it would, but I don’t. I’m a working class bloke. I haven’t had representation since Trafficant.

And honestly, I don’t bother electing a Congresscritter for that reason. I couldn’t care less which letters get in there. The results the same either way in my world.

1 Like

Of course she has. She’s a corporatist or a neoliberal, depending on your label preference.

She’s an elite who has to appeal to a different set of voters than her GOP friends do.

1 Like

Strictly speaking, if we’re going to get all poli sci wonky here, they’re specifically trying to aim at the “muddled independent middle”–in other words, the voters so stupid they don’t even know what they stand for on any given day. A sliver of a percentage point or two that their models tells them swing elections (the mysterious and inscrutable “swing voter theory”).

there are those who are seeking to equate dissent with disloyalty. It’s a dark day in our nation when high-level authorities will seek to use every method to silence dissent.

3 Likes

hey, no fair, you added on! heh heh

Well, I’ve never accused Democratic leadership of actually understanding statistics properly.

Exhibit A: the Clinton campaign.

"Congress Must Impeach The Racist Conman."

History must record his crimes for all future generations to be taught that "No one is above the law."

4 Likes

This is John Atcheson’s central theme, which I find threadbare at this point. The problem with this theoretical motivation of Dem elites is it presumes they suffer from a terrible deficit of the most basic opinion survey tools. By now they know there’s nobody left “in the middle” – they’d just have to know. (Well, except for foggy old Biden, anyhow.)

And so this idea that if only they could find out there’s nobody left in the middle their strategy would change is a fantasy, because they haven’t been aiming at voters in the middle all along. It’s just been a (now-transparent) pretext for serving the same masters. Their true motivation is to exclude liberation, clearly. They’re in the way, and need to get out.

2 Likes