Home | About | Donate

Responding to Clinton Barb, Sanders Blasts US Imperialism in Latin America

Responding to Clinton Barb, Sanders Blasts US Imperialism in Latin America

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

Hillary Clinton's interventionist record in Latin America is being called into question after Wednesday night's Democratic presidential debate saw her and rival Bernie Sanders sparring over the U.S.'s role in the region.

"Is Hillary Clinton a credible voice for condemning support for despots and human rights abusers?"
—Glenn Greenwald, The Intercept

After Hillary Clinton repeatedly brought up today's consequences for Bernie's past decisions/votes, there's one thing I wanted Bernie to throw in her face:

Based on Hillary Clinton's past votes that supported unnecessary wars, like the one in Iraq, how many TRILLIONS of dollars did we squander?

How many TRILLIONS of dollars would be available, today, for all the education/healthcare/etc. needs and programs that Hillary Clinton says we simply cannot afford?

Hillary Clinton was instrumental in creating the problems we have today.

Bernie is the best thing that has happened to US politics in my lifetime; HRC is one of the worst things that has happened to US politics in my lifetime! We need to do everything possible to see that HRC is denied the nomination for POTUS, because I would argue that could give the US a Trump POTUS in 2017. There is no doubt in my mind that Bernie would bury Trump, but it is not Trump that progressives have to be concerned about. The MSM keeps saying Bernie has no chance of getting the Democratic nomination for POTUS. DO NOT LISTEN!

No surprise that the Clinton cabal is smearing the Sanders campaign as "coddling dictators" (while simultaneously dog-whistling red-baiting for key constituencies).

No surprise that the Clinton campaign and its media chorus blatantly distort not just Sanders' record, but the historic role of the USA, as well as Clinton's concrete leadership in coddling numerous murderous and dictatorial regimes.

Despicable? Sure! But with a proudly mindless communications media feeding such distortions to a profoundly ignorant "heart of America" populace (ignorance engineered by endless attacks on education, and by that proudly stupid media): What's the downside for the neoliberal / neocon convergence that is the Clinton campaign?

Many of us understand the history and the context, sure, and we're more or less outraged by this latest outrage of shameless distortion in service to US imperial license. But will there be a sudden leap in clarity among the majority of US media consumers?

We all need to keep working against the engineered ignorance inside the USA.

Think about how Hillary Clinton branded Edward Snowden a traitor, and then compare that stance with these words. There was a famous poem by W. H. Auden entitled, "The Hollow Men." Boy, is Hillary Clinton a hollow woman... her words could not ring more empty!

"Clinton continued. "You know, if the values are that you oppress people, you disappear people, you imprison people or even kill people for expressing their opinions, for expressing freedom of speech, that is not the kind of revolution of values that I ever want to see anywhere."

I'm glad Jeremy Scahill brought up the "School of the Americas," ground zero for training in Torture 101:

jeremy scahill

"The US sponsored deaths squads that massacred countless central and Latin Americans, murdered nuns and priests, assassinated an Archbishop..."

Basically, what was done to Honduras through the removal of its democratically elected leader runs parallel to what was done to Libya.

I think the better argument can be made that Mrs. Clinton specializes in creating failed states!

"Zelaya, while not perfect, "backed rural peasant and indigenous movements, such as the one Cáceres led, in the fight against land dispossession, mining, and biofuels," Grandin said. "Since Zelaya’s ouster, there’s been an all-out assault on these decent people—torture, murder, militarization of the countryside, repressive laws, such as the absolute ban on the morning-after pill, the rise of paramilitary security forces, and the wholesale deliverance of the country’s land and resources to transnational pillagers."

This is a clear example of the essential difference between Bernie and his essentially moral point of view in world affairs, and Clinton's that supports and pushes coups, war, destabilization and trillions in "defense" spending as what the US should stand for! Civilian priorities, the things that make a nation truly strong, take a back-seat to military spending (read arms manufacturer profits) and war - "privatization" is pushed as somehow more advantageous to america - again only to those that profit at the expense of others!
Hillary does NOT represent what the US should stand-for, but policies that in fact are a threat to our real security and respect in the world! Beside supporting banker/Wall Street usury and corporate profits above all else, Hillary is also a supporter of war as the answer - the dominance of the MICC war-machine that is NOT in America's best interests in any way regardless the spin and BS she speaks with every breath!

The US supporting dictators (if they are our SOB) corporate dominance (United Fruit et al), right-wing death-squad politics,and throwing our weight around to install and support brutal dictators in Latin America has been very long! We must work to try to end that terrible legacy......

Once again, I ask that posters question the use of these all-inclusive frames.

Do these imperial gambits favor average Americans? Or are they done to establish the hegemonic control of a handful of muscular corporations (as John Perkins often explains.)

How many U.S. citizens identify with the military ("our weight")? (The answer would be far less IF our media were not itself an organ of the M.I.C. The constant promotion of fear, enemies, war, and glorification of soldiering and acts of aggression are INVERSIONS of the Law of Nations along with the Truth.)

And I think it's also fair to say that women, in general, have far less a reflex to identify with armies, soldiering, and the use of force. Men are more conditioned to see their manhood validated through these martial channels.

the more she accuses Bernie of the better it becomes as her true values and record on things finally see the light of day. Keep it up Hillary cause that's how Americans and "feminists" will finally be able to judge who you really are. Being responsible for the deaths of thousands around the world just like her buddy Henry the K has, has never been a feminist value in the books and life experiences I myself have read and heard and experienced myself.

We need to not only support Bernie, but absolutely need to deny the Hillary/DLC faction that controls the Democratic Party a victory in November - no matter what the cost. Nothing will EVER change with the Democratic Party as long as that faction of 1%-owned pols continues to control the Democratic Party. Both parties are oligarch-controlled, and part of the same rotten system. The Democrats just wave a carrot of being modestly more socially progressive in front of their party's supporters. However, the things that truly matter - the control of the economy, foreign policy, war-and-peace, there isn't a dime's worth of difference. It couldn't be more clear than with Hillary's mocking of Bernie for his principled stand against our imperialism in Latin America, a stand that was considered the standard Democratic response to Reagan's illegal support of right-wing insurgents and death squads in that era. It's just mind-blowing, but really not surprising, from someone who pals around with a war criminal like Henry Kissinger, and considers him a mentor.

The worst in the human heart seems to often rise to the top in American politics - we have a rare chance to speak for an alternative.......to fight for a different vision of life on Earth......

rep·re·hen·si·ble
ˌreprəˈhensəb(ə)l

adjective
deserving censure or condemnation.
"his complacency and reprehensible laxity"

synonyms: deplorable, disgraceful, discreditable, despicable, blameworthy, culpable, wrong, bad, shameful, dishonorable, objectionable, opprobrious, repugnant, inexcusable, unforgivable, indefensible, unjustifiable

con·niv·ing
kəˈnīviNG

adjective
given to or involved in conspiring to do something immoral, illegal, or harmful.
"a heartless and conniving woman"

des·pi·ca·ble
dəˈspikəb(ə)l

adjective
deserving hatred and contempt.
"a despicable crime"

synonyms: contemptible, loathsome, hateful, detestable, reprehensible, abhorrent, abominable, awful, heinous

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Absolutely; should have included the hundreds of thousands of dead people in my argument against her.

"I think in that same interview, he praised what he called the revolution of values in Cuba and talked about how people were working for the common good, not for themselves. I just couldn't disagree more. You know, if the values are that you oppress people, you disappear people, you imprison people or even kill people for expressing their opinions, for expressing freedom of speech, that is not the kind of revolution of values that I ever want to see anywhere." - Hillary Clinton

Another example of Hillary Clinton's duplicity. She proudly promotes her hawkish approach to foreign policy including her affinity for regime change, her membership on President Obama's Drone Kill Team, and her embrace of the use of crowd killing (signature strikes) as righteous yet she dismisses the efforts of hundreds of thousands of Cubans to promote literacy, health care, and the well being of the Cuban people as: "not the kind of revolution of values that I ever want to see anywhere".

Nice reply. Both parties are really the war parties. Both parties support the Amerikan Empires vested interests, hegemony and hubris in 147 countries around the world. Both parties support war criminals like Cheney and Kissinger.

I foresee a future situation where a foreign country in which U.S. Corporations have relocated their manufacturing plants, nationalizing these factories through a citizen uprising. If history repeats, the U.S. will take military actions against this country, not because our nations security is threatened, because the corporate lords of our congressmen will demand it. I would never risk my life to protect the assets of a U.S. Corporation, but of course the reasons for taking military action will be obscured by lies and deceit. I favor Bernie's point of view. The campaign contributions come with strings attached.

Here from the day before is the NY Times pretending the Nicaraguan Contras are back with a legit reason for war in 2016:

Of course the Times can't be bothered to point out all the crimes of the Contras back in the 1980s.

Amen, it is time to create a body count for all the deaths in Latin America and the Middle East and to keep pounding the war issue and to keep up the pressure around an Evil foreign policy. This can resonate with religious people. Also, the money spent is important. Our people are denied benefits and real security because of our imperialist wars and bases. Time for us to push these talking points and keep it up. The Trumpsters are angry and rightly so, they have been shafted.
The Left needs to give them ideas and frames to better understand just who is shafting them.

hi

Does anyone has the link to that fragment on CNN?

thx

r

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

The (MSM) media is anything but stupid. See quoted:

"Despicable? Sure! But with a proudly mindless communications media feeding such distortions to a profoundly ignorant "heart of America" populace (ignorance engineered by endless attacks on education, and by that proudly stupid media)"

Practically the entire (MSM) media is owned by 6 large, wealthy corporations which act together as a propaganda organ for our government similar to the old Pravda of the USSR. We have become, at least since WWII, what my generation was taught to fear and loathe. Hillary Clinton in my opinion is a person to be feared, certainly not respected. Her record and judgment show her for who she is. Our country is at a crossroad of any possibility of being the moral country most would like to believe in. Feel the Bern and ignite the fire.