Home | About | Donate

Retired General: Obama's Drone Program 'A Failed Strategy'

Retired General: Obama's Drone Program 'A Failed Strategy'

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

President Barack Obama’s former top military intelligence official Lt. General Michael Flynn has denounced the administration's drone program as counterproductive and a "failed strategy."

Flynn was director of the Defense Intelligence Agency from 2012 until his retirement in 2014, and has been described by investigative journalist Jeremy Scahill as "Stanley McChrystal’s intelligence czar at the Joint Special Operations Command at the height of their Murder Incorporated operation in Iraq."

Dear Lt. General Michael Flynn. You are a psychopath and a war criminal who belongs in prison. Spare us.

Dick Cheney at the Washington Institute's Soref Symposium, April 29, 1991

I think that the proposition of going to Baghdad is also fallacious. I think if we we're going to remove Saddam Hussein we would have had to go all the way to Baghdad, we would have to commit a lot of force because I do not believe he would wait in the Presidential Palace for us to arrive. I think we'd have had to hunt him down. And once we'd done that and we'd gotten rid of Saddam Hussein and his government, then we'd have had to put another government in its place. What kind of government? Should it be a Sunni government or Shi'i government or a Kurdish government or Ba'athist regime? Or maybe we want to bring in some of the Islamic fundamentalists? How long would we have had to stay in Baghdad to keep that government in place? What would happen to the government once U.S. forces withdrew? How many casualties should the United States accept in that effort to try to create clarity and stability in a situation that is inherently unstable? I think it is vitally important for a President to know when to use military force. I think it is also very important for him to know when not to commit U.S. military force. And it's my view that the President got it right both times, that it would have been a mistake for us to get bogged down in the quagmire inside Iraq.

.. until, of course, enough changes had been made to ensure the resulting quagmire would be hugely profitable for the military-industrial-congressional complex

Dear Psychedelic_Chicken

Your characterization of General Flynn may be correct. With all respect, might not a more useful -- to the cause that I infer from your comment you (as in any event do I) support -- response be, simply, "This statement, from one who has served and acted as has General Flynn, is surely a most damning and informed indictment".

Informed by what?

Nothing but military madness "informs" this psychopath. Surely you took note of his comment regarding ISIS. He would like nothing more than to get back in Iraq and kill better this time, you know, with fewer "strategic mistakes".,

No, I'll stick to my statement thanks.

Then he fits right in with Obama. Say one thing, do the opposite. Talk about peace but engage in war.

That has been the modus operandi of U.S. foreign policy for at least the last 120 years. Talk peace engage in war.

"Say one thing, do the opposite. Talk about peace, but engage in war."

What do/did people really and truly expect from any of our politicians, especially Presidents? All of them, including Barack Obama, are famous for their "bait and switch" policies, if one gets the drift.

"He would like nothing more than to get back in Iraq and kill better this time, you know, with fewer 'strategic mistakes'".

You may well be right. But how do you know? And assuming that you are right, mightn't there be utility in the Black Panther's maxim, "Use what you've got to get what you need"? We need an end to these armed invasions, My words against them won't help. General Flynn's might. Use what you've got . . .

He also said the U.S. invasion of Iraq was "a strategic mistake," given the rise of ISIS in the country. "We definitely put fuel on a fire," he said, adding that "history will not be kind to the decisions that were made certainly in 2003."

"It would be foolish for us to wait until [violent Islamists pose an
existential threat before taking decisive action," he wrote, adding, "we
must engage the violent Islamists wherever they are, drive them from
their safe havens and kill them."

How do I know? I'm absolutely certain that he hasn't taken the position here that you seem to project on his words.

He wasn't questioning the invasion of Iraq, so your assertion that his statements on drones not being a sound strategy isn't evidence that he thinks we "need an end to these armed invasions". His statements regarding ISIS most certainly mean that he wants incursions of troops into Iraq, rather than ending armed invasions.

Thus, his words are of zero "utility" toward any good end, and specifically toward ending "these armed invasions".

Talk to your average 'hippie peace-nik' 10yrs ago and they would have told you how the violence in Iraq will get us nowhere, or talk to anyone who had a f-ing clue about the history/culture in the area and they would have told you the same, but who listens to them? Surely not these generals, who I find a bit disgusting. I suppose he's a 'good guy', since he admits some mistakes, but they just seem to just want another crack at the same military-based solutions with fewer 'mistakes'. More proof the US military is out of control and has been for a long time.

A failure? But if we can't manufacture terrorists with drones how can we justify our continued destabilization of the region? Nay!!! The drone program has been an unqualified success!!!

Most of USAian foreign policy since at least 1945 has been failed strategy. Nothing new about the recent failures, apart from 4 million Syrian refugees.

Unfortunately, General Flynn chose to express his views on Al Jazeera, which is the private media of the medieval dictator of Qatar. This channel, and the official Russian media site RT where Chris Hedges and others have appeared, should not be used by anyone who wants to be taken seriously. There are still sites like Common Dreams, The Nation, or Democracy Now where opposition voices can be heard. I realize that people like Flynn or Chris Hedges may be eager for the larger audience at tyrant-controlled outlets, but I do not believe that the trade-off in credibility is worth it.

Unless, of course, Flynn feels more comfortable in the company of medieval tyrants, which is likely considering his history.

Barry the Liar, whose "failed drone strategy" has been responsible for killing more than 1,100 innocent civilians in the pursuit of 41 "HVTs" ( high value targets). Obama is a war criminal but in Washington, DeCeit this murder from the sky is referred to as "unfortunate collateral damage" and it will, in no way, change their heinous strategies.

Actually, they have not been failed strategies. The MICC has made billions, even trillions from them.
* And the beat goes on! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!
;-})

I suppose from that perspective you are right. I still think in terms of the old style of empire, of folk such as the Romans, or indeed that of we Brits who built infrastructure and actually got around to building hospitals, railways, roads, irrigation canals and schools as well as re-distributing the wealth of overly wealthy feudal maharajahs back to the UK, so our wealthy feudal overlords could build our future tourist attractions. The USA just leaves behind an infrastructure of bomb craters, internationally funded refugee camps and consequent future terrorists.

Yeah, it is even worse than that, at least for blatancy. During Baby Bush's first invasion, KBR was given huge sums to act as commissary for the military, then was tasked to build camps for the military and to rebuild some of the infrastructure of Iraq. Whole pallets of shrink wrapped $100s were unloaded from planes and disappeared.
* KBR stayed in Kuwait as "Civilians were not expected to enter combat zones" and sent truckloads of MREs to the troops, while they slept in trenches or under their trucks.
* When KBR finally entered Iraq, their work was so shoddy that several guys were electrocuted by bad wiring. in the shower rooms.
* Finally some Congressional group "investigated." KBR could not account for the money that disappeared, so they were given more contracts, and more pallets of shrink wrapped $100s were sent over, along with large amounts of weapons, which also disappeared.
* And people thought Warren Hastings looted India? By today's standards, he was a rank amateur!
;-})