Part of the reason We the People are in so much trouble today is the "It can't happen here!" rationale that so many people in the
US Fourth Reich still subscribe to. By the time they realize it can, it has.
* If Nazi Germany had had the technology that our Gestapo uses, we'd probably be speaking German.
* In WW-II, resistance groups would gather, four or five in a cellar. They would print out leaflets on an old hand press, then sneak out and post them on walls and telephone poles around the town or countryside. Many were caught and killed, but the effort did succeed.
* If the Gestapo had had our current abilities, a black van would slowly cruise through the streets, scanning every home. The IR sensors would pick up four or five people in a basement. They would listen in, then call in a drone to blow the building and take them out.
* The Fourth Reich's Gestapo and SA have that ability right now. It is currently used primarily to create records, future "kill lists", but the day after martial law is declared and the Bush Era concentration camps are formally opened for business, they will swing into high gear and the people will find out that it has happened here, and many will die. (After all, those three billion 9mm hollowpoint rounds aren't meant to be in storage forever.)
* I remember WW-II and what we were fighting to erase from the world. When I see it transplanted and nurtured here in this country, I am just grateful to be old enough that I won't live to see the end of it.