Home | About | Donate

Rhodes Scholars on Bernie, Buttigieg, and Meritocracy

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/02/19/rhodes-scholars-bernie-buttigieg-and-meritocracy

4 Likes

If Buttigieg were appointed to a Sanders’ cabinet he would have to be watched closely for fealty to his corporate donors. As for being anywhere on the ticket, poppycock!
BERNIE 2020! THE ONE AND ONLY ONE!

8 Likes

Oh but Imperial Pete Buttigieg is very much following in the footsteps of his forebear:

On March 10, 2015, a student threw excrement at the statute of Cecil Rhodes at the University of Cape Town in South Africa.

It was a symbolic gesture of protest against the British imperialist and avowed white supremacist who some call the “architect of apartheid.”

Just one month later, the Rhodes Must Fall movement succeeded, and the Rhodes statue came down. But perhaps more importantly, it launched a national dialogue about addressing historical oppression in public spaces in South Africa.

Wandile Kasibe is a PhD student at the University of Cape Town who was a part of the movement from the beginning. He saw parallels when violence unfolded in Charlottesville, Virginia, at a white supremacist rally organized to protest the removal of a statue of a Confederate general.

“There are people in [South Africa], and perhaps in the United States, who still look at these statues as a way of affirming their own supremacy,” Kasibe said.

He thinks it’s necessary to remove statues that commemorate racist and colonial actors and ideas from public spaces and relocate them to museums, so that their place in history can be displayed in context.

Public spaces should be for everyone, Kasibe says, instead of promoting a “society built on trauma.”

ttps://www.pri.org/stories/2017-08-17/removing-racist-statues-taking-history-task-south-africa

9 Likes

Mayo Pete is the phoniest cardboard cut out of a candidate since the last smalltown mayor who rose to prominence. Her name was Sarah Palin. She couldn’t match Mayo Pete in IQ. But they’re twins when it comes to conniving. Speaking of which, lying racist Mayo Pete is faking more endorsements from black influencers in S. Carolina – this time ABC News caught him redhanded:

(h)ttps://abcnews.go.com/Politics/democrat-pete-buttigieg-overstated-pledges-support-black-leaders/story?id=69053705

5 Likes

Elizabeth Warren Elizabeth Warren Elizabeth Warren …put these Scholars on the ROAD, Jack.

1 Like

Good for you, Jaz. After seeing that Rachel Maddcow and Bill the Blowjob Clinton were Rhodes Scholars I was beginning to wonder what kind of people this outfit attracted. You and the people who signed with you have given them a better name than they deserve.

6 Likes

Why does the term “evil genius” spring to mind?

2 Likes

Hmmm maybe it’s time to rewrite that old saying ( with apologies to the Rhodes scholars who genuinely are Rhodes scholars…so here goes: as it applies to Buttigieg:

All RHODES lead to ROAM the halls of corporate America. : )

6 Likes

The felling of Mr. Rhodes was very much appreciated in some quarters here in the U.S.
Thanks to all who brought the end to one more piece of the old British Empire.
Pete Buttigieg is Bob Roberts. With opening remarks by Tim Robbins, if necessary.
FYI- Many white S. Africans were allowed work visas into the U.S. in the mid-1980s and, going forward, possibly to the present day They brought their professional skills and prejudices with them, as well. They’re probably citizens by now. Sound familiar? Such a deal.
" Is this a great country or what? "
Just sayin’.

2 Likes

Better yet, don’t appoint him.

6 Likes

People forget that Cecil Rhodes was first a White British Imperialist, who did his best to subjugate almost half of Africa. While the “big picture” of the scholarship named after him is essentially good, there are Rhodes Scholars who have not always turned out to be the best of the best in academia, business, politics, or life.

1 Like

Ah, perpetuating the new Democrat slogan: don’t fault wealthy people for being successful. Who was it who told us that? Another Rhodes “scholar”–Bill Clinton. How oddly un-Platonic that the main purpose of being a Rhodes scholar is to advance your ego!

What would Plato have written when comparing political candidates who say, “vote for me, because these are my policies, and they will improve your life,” to those who say, “vote for me because I was awarded a Rhodes scolarship?”

1 Like

My own basis for picking a democratic party nominee is mostly to do with some decent Green New Deal, none yet a sensible program according to my perspective as a transit/transport system planner. A viable GND would effect change in social programs in education and health care; as such, I’d strip social perks from any GND proposal.