Home | About | Donate

Rights Group Warns Against Amazon Marketing to Law Enforcement 'Dangerous and Invasive' Facial Recognition System It Claims Can Detect People's Fear

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/14/rights-group-warns-against-amazon-marketing-law-enforcement-dangerous-and-invasive

“Innocent people could be detained, deported, or falsely imprisoned because a computer decided they looked afraid when being questioned by authorities,”

Tell me, who is not afraid when being questioned by authorities?

3 Likes

THe Police State is here, and it’s not going away - peacefully

3 Likes

I have a system for sale to tell if a politician is lying to you. Really simple, put on these special dark glasses, look at the politician to see if his lips are moving. If a lie is detected, it’s off to the Greybar Hotel.

1 Like

Smell the fear?

Smell the money

2 Likes

Yasha Levine (author of Surveillance Valley: The Secret Military History of the Internet):

“[A]n accurate sense of what Silicon Valley monopolies are today: privatized extensions of American Empire.”

3 Likes

Hi Phred_Pharkel:

Sometimes I bet the fact that someone is stressed might be that the person really, really wants to go the bathroom. Or maybe, something awful happened to a person when they were young, and any time a voice is raised, a small child reaction can take over an adult’s face.
Sometimes too, there are many people who don’t like to look another person in the face and their eyes dart around so as not to see the face. That can seem suspicious. to some
This is on the job learning from being a substitute teacher----and truly, being called on or asked a question can make some people very uncomfortable, even though they have done nothing wrong.
Then too, there are the Bully questioners who seek power by lording it over others.
I would think that were we able to see film of what happened to many prisoners at Guantanomo, the we would see similar reactions.
By the way, Mr Amazon Bezos, if you are going to try and make money off of this horrible idea, then I would like people to seriously look at your face. Caught in the headlights—you would look guilty of plenty of things too.I’m sure your wife would agree. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I look forwards to those Washington Post articles, from all of those “independent journalists” who would attest that Jeff Bezos as owner does not affect what they are willing to write that critique this trend as a grave threat to individuals rights and fundamental freedoms along with all of those Democratic principles.

After all they did write a whole pile of “The Russians threaten our democracy” stuff.

1 Like

I love intelligent sci-fi and thriller movies because they’re so accurately predictive, almost like prophetic documentaries.
Science and technology can be incredibly evil when unethical, greedy, immoral, deluded people create and use them.
These folks are like children playing with bombs, and they have utter disdain for the precautionary principle. They’re mostly unregulated, and they operate on black budgets without any effective oversight.
Unless the techno-industrial grid collapses to prevent these science clowns from creating it, we will see a wholly dystopic, feudal, tormented future that looks like parts of these movies:
Gattaca, They Live, Ex Machina, THX 1138, Matrix trilogy, Fight Club, Idiocracy, Blade Runner, Running Man, Minority Report, Handmaid’s Tale, Manchurian Candidate, and similar films.
We will also likely see “limited” if not total nuclear war. After all, Trump himself can start one without hardly anyone interfering. If that doesn’t scare you, nothing could.
You can bet we’ll all be monitored, and anyone who posts here at CD will be on a hit list…like a high-tech, updated version of “The Lives of Others.”

3 Likes

As if the richest person on the planet is going to be told what to do. Ever.

1 Like

Coming soon on Pay-Per-View: Decision 2020: Who Will Support Trump If He Is Defeated (And Won’t Leave): The Police or The Military?

2 Likes

“there just isn’t a strong enough correlation between facial expressions and actual human emotions,”

Maybe they combine it with some kind of thermal component detection, checks the body and face temperature. High enough resolutions could detect the size of the pupils and correlate with the ambient light check whether they are more or less the proper aperture.

Erik Prince - Blackwater
Nazi Bikers
and of course Ms. Lindsey

1 Like

A little over thirty years ago I was involved with Ohio State researchers studying how stress affects the immune and endocrine systems and how it affects human health and I was introduced to this area. At the time there was a researcher at University of Washington (John Gottman) whose experimental technique involved video taping married couples who were put under stress by having to discuss touchy issues in their marriage. He then had staff watch those videos frame by frame and hand code the visible movement of the 43 muscles in the face. Using that data, he developed an algorithm to measure stress off of those videos and indeed it did correlate strongly with biological markers like changes in stress hormones and immune system reactions.

So now it is thirty years later and instead of a grad student taking a week to code 5 minutes of video, it now takes a machine a microsecond to do so and analyze the data in the next microsecond. There are definitely still lots of issues with the accuracy of the technology - but it will get better with time as cameras and algorithms improve.

Amazon and Microsoft aren’t the only players in this area, a company called Affectiva seems to have the best software at this point. Like most advanced technologies, this kind of emotion reading artificial intelligence presents the ethical dilemma of how to take advantage of positive uses and control negative ones. Unfortunately, humans have never been very good at doing that (especially when some of the negative use might gain a military advantage for a country). Pretending that you can just shove the genie back into the bottle is equally flawed reasoning in this scenario.

2 Likes

Amazon, Google, Microsoft…et al. These sickos and their ilk of Police & Security Monster Snoops need to be broken into a 100 small pieces.
The probability that anything like these technically advanced invasive systems will be horribly abused is about 100%. " Who died and appointed these disgusting a-holes gods? " ( I have my list of the usual suspects, do you? )

3 Likes

If I want any privacy or anonymity I’ll have to don a series of masks. Perhaps cartoon characters like Donny Duck, Pluto, Goofy, trump, and Daffy Duck.