Home | About | Donate

Rise Up: Anti-Planned Parenthood Bill Just Hit the House

Rise Up: Anti-Planned Parenthood Bill Just Hit the House

Cecile Richards

A bill to prohibit patients from getting care at Planned Parenthood health centers just got introduced in the House. The time to rise up is NOW. Tell your representatives to stop this dangerous bill no matter what it takes.

Cecile Richards.....Bernie supporters all over the country howled when they found out that you sold them down the river by endorsing HRC so your daughter could get a promised position in the HRC organization. You got bought off Cecile, you never let your supporters vote and that's primarily the way HRC did it . She also bribed the head of the teachers organization, the NEA without a vote by the members. So called bought off "leaders" are what got DT elected.

It is unconscionable to do anything but support an organization that has been a real benefit to so many. I can think of few organizations or efforts that has meant so much to so many, Those who seek to lessen its availability and effectiveness are craven to the enth degree and have little use for women in general.

What's wrong with Planned Parenthood?

Both capitalized, and not?

It goes against Patriarchal Religious Beliefs, while it empowers Women, making it a hell of a Distraction Wedge Issue, which suits the PWB just fine as they attempt to further, and endlessly, Vandalize and Undermine, US Citizens and our Nation.

Old fights, time to get over it. A white power nationalist is advising the president and a neoconfederate attorney general will be enforcing the law. Time to work with folks who you may not agree 100% with all the time, but who generally share your values. We need a new Congress to check the president and limit damage.

You want Ellison in a leadership position in the House, give him a majority. You want Bernie chairing the budget committee in the Senate--which he is in line to chair--give him a majority. That's how progressives get a seat at the table, not giving the hard right more power by bitching people out for supporting a different candidate than we liked in a primary that's been over for months.

Excellent point, olliebubs, not necessary for anyone to blunt it.

@KC...Just to make the record clear, I am a strong supporter of Planned Parenthood and contribute $ to them every year and have for a long time. It is not necessarily time to get over it, it is time to make sure this type of thing doesn't happen in the future. My point is that the primary was not a fair one because of the undue influence HRC exerted with her $1.2 Billion spent on the election. Progressives would prefer to get the dirty money out of the political process altogether with publically funded elections.

But this is not the place to discuss the election that's over. You distract from and encourage the present serious threat to PP. I'm not even hearing this little provision discussed amid all the other problems with the health-insurance proposal. Demand that the first amendment to be made to it is to strike this provision.

I'm looking for the provision(s) to reference, but it ain't easy. Ryan was just in front of the mics encouraging us to "read the bill," but it appears basically illegible, mostly consisting of "strike x and insert y." I'll keep looking.

Actually, it is pretty easy. They put it right up front, pp. 2-4 of the bill as they are posting it. It couldn't be clearer that what they intend is to define PP (and only PP) as a "prohibited entity" for Medicaid spending under either federal or state control:

pp. 2-4, Energy and Commerce markup of edits to ACA:

Title I Sec 103 (a)
“for the 1-year period beginning on the date of the enactment of this Act, no Federal funds provided from a program referred to in this subsection that is considered direct spending for any year may be made available to a State for payments to a prohibited entity….”

“(b) Definitions.—In this section:
“(1) PROHIBITED ENTITY.—The term ‘prohibited entity’ means an entity, including its affiliates, subsidiaries, successors, and clinics—
“(A) that, as of the date of enactment of this Act—
“(i) is an organization described in section 501(c)(3) …;
“(ii) is an essential community provider described in section 156.235 of title 45, Code of Federal Regulations …, that is primarily engaged in family planning services, reproductive health, and related medical care; and
“(iii) provides for abortions, other than an abortion—
“(I) if the pregnancy is the result of an act of rape or incest; or
“(II) in the the case where a woman … as certified by a physician, place the woman in danger of death unless an abortion is performed…; and
“(B) for which the total amount of Federal and State expenditures under the Medicaid program … in fiscal year 2014 made directly to the entity and to any affiliates, subsidiaries, successors, or clinics of the entity, or made to the entity and to any affiliates, subsidiaries, successors, or clinics of the entity as part of a nationwide health care provider network, exceeded $350,000,000.”

Call on your representatives to make sure that Title I, section 103 is deleted from the bill.

This isn't about H- it's about a century old wonderful organization.

Thank you- finally someone who nailed it as it should be!