Once again, the relative handful of corporatists and their mostly white male well-endowed (fiscally, that is) comrades gather in secret to determine humanity's collective fate and another writer posits that decisions reflect that great, amorphous pool of "WE."
What decisions do you suppose might evolve (in lieu of the usual deadly outcomes featuring an emphasis on war, inequality, and rabid resource decimation) if the operational WE determining policy were composed of the following: Vandana Shiva, Medea Benjamin, Amy Goodman, Chris Hedges, Pepe Escobar, Naomi Klein, Bill McKibben, Kumi Naidoo, Naomi Wolf, Robert Jensen, Father John Dear, Kathy Kelly.... and others?
The deciding FEW do NOT reflect the will, wishes, intentions, concerns, needs, or values of THE MAJORITY.
It is irresponsible and disingenuous at this point in time to whitewash over the problem: Democratic consensus is NOT what's driving policy. And too often in order to create the ILLUSION of that consensus the following coercive tactics (akin to how Republicans win elections through all sorts of chicanery) are used:
- Control of media & thus message
- Lies told often and no one held to account (like creating an entirely false pretext for the wars launched against numerous Middle Eastern nations)
- Ruining the reputations of whistle blowers when not using legal muscle to do away with them
- Presenting a stable of writers who traffic in the cozy-sounding "WE are all in this together" idiom even when studies like "Page & Gilens" make it clear that policies put into action are diametrically opposed to those that citizens (via poll numbers) support
- Mock any alternatives to the existing system
- Make treaties that will determine energy policy (continued ruination of sustainable ecosystems), what we eat (Monsanto's sickening shit), who gets health care, who gets birth control, and who gets to work. These decisions are made by corporate moguls in SECRECY and forced onto the rest of us! (TPP makes that blatantly evident.)
This is not about WE. It's about elites--shadow and otherwise--running the world like a hostile business takeover. With all the $ they bribed politicians into allowing them to print, they can purchase private armies (and they do!), court justices (via financing their campaigns), senators, congress persons, and heads of nations!
It's a massive CON job not helped by pushing a frame of citizen input and engagement--WE--when THAT has disappeared.
And it also whitewashes over the fundamental achievement made by Occupy Wall ST in defining a major political and economic distinction (along with a likely moral one given that the LOVE of money constitutes the root of ALL evil) between the 1% "decider" caste, and the rest of us... arguably the larger WE pool that is hardly behind these odious decisions!
The unexamined use of the collective WE-idiom is on a par with "Columbus discovered America." It's another fiction used to anesthetize the public and dilute the greater Truth of our times.