Home | About | Donate

Risking World War III in Syria

Risking World War III in Syria

Joe Lauria

Defense Secretary Ashton Carter last October said in a little noticed comment that the United States was ready to take “direct action on the ground” in Syria. Vice President Joe Biden said in Istanbul last month that if peace talks in Geneva failed, the United States was prepared for a “military solution” in that country.

Politics makes strange Bedouin fellows...

...and at a time when one side appears to be led by rational people, but the other has at least some war hawks in charge and could get much worse within a year depending on the outcome of the election--and even the Democrats, even Sanders, can't be trusted not to welcome war.

Even when you have nothing useful to say you egotistically still try to be first to post.

Does your comment sound profound to you?

Disturbing article, to say the least. We hear so little about it in main-stream media. If it's true the U.S. is prepared for the possibility of a "military solution", (a contradiction in terms, no?), then the 50 special forces now being sent might just be the advance guard. We need more transparency and coverage.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Watching the RepubliCon circus clowns last eve was a real barf-bag trial. The performances of the candidates showed their utter disconnect on social issues and utter depravity on war - All those on stage showed their contempt for the future and people in one comment/answer or another. The "moderators" were also often obtuse but any attempt to get a straight answer failed. MK Ham lived up to her last name and con/Faux News credentials.

On war in the ME and elsewhere they all clamored for more and deadlier conflict as the answer, in terms that should frighten the bejesus out of everyone - only a person ignorant of what war can do would say such contemptible things -its notable that none has ever been to war or even served in the military as one moderator brought out.. "Rebuilding" the US military-war machine after Obama's "gutting" it was on everyone's lips. Eisenhower's warnings on the power of the MICC to subvert our democracy on full display. Every one attempted to offer-up words designed to show they held the people rather than their own extremism and self-interest in high regard - anyone listening could see the truth of those diversions.

The lack of moral compass, whether personal or due to servitude to the party, was astonishing - not a one qualified to hold the reins of power, not a one educated, experienced, substantive, or moral enough to lead much of anything, much less a military with such power to destroy. The RepubliCon candidates should have taken some wisdom on war from a Republican of times past (now shunned by party hacks) - clearly all have no inkling of wars consequences - all only delivering sound-bites........

"Men acquainted with the battlefield will not be found among the numbers that glibly talk of another war. Many people think I glorify war, but I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity. In fact war is no longer a lively adventure or expedition into romance, matching man against man in the test of the stouthearted. Instead, it is aimed against the cities mankind has built. Its goal is their total destruction and devastation. And although I have lead many into battle I have come to the realization that next to the loss of freedom, war is the ultimate, which can befall a nation. It is so horrible that imagination cannot grasp it in all its hideous aspects."
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

"The U.S. cannot likely stand by and watch Russia win in Syria. At the very least it wants to be on the ground to meet them at a modern-day Elbe and influence the outcome." What do they win?

Google Oded Yinon for more.

Eisenhower was right. Too bad that all the people who push for war as a solution on any side can't be required to be the ones who fight the damn thing.

A new "Axis of Evil" in a very real sense - the US and our supposed "allies", Israel, the Saudis, Turkey - all provoking and baiting "enemies", all concerned with power and domination above all, even all-out regional war including nuclear Armageddon......"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds"

Alas for humankind, they cannot master their ignorance, ambition, aggression or depravity........."Our task must be to free ourselves from the prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

"A human being is part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest. A kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from the prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. The true value of a human being is determined by the measure and the sense in which they have obtained liberation from the self. We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if humanity is to survive." - Albert Einstein, 1954

Yes, Russia. Putin may not be very democratic, but he has consistently acted to fend off war.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

" From the outset Russia's intervention in Syria."

HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!

Russia has had military bases in Syria for a long time and unlike the US who was never asked to intervene in Syria, Russia was asked by Assad's government to intervene in Syria against the rebels who are proxy's for the West's plans for regime change in Syria.

We truly must learn to think outside the box of self. I'm half serious when I say that a paradigm shift in thinking where we actually would require those who advocate war do the actual fighting would be needed before any real movement away from war could occur. Can we humans make such a radical change in our collective awareness or are we doomed to eventually be destroyed by our own technology and selfishness?

I agree David - all who advocate and push for more war should have themselves and/or sons/daughters neck-deep in the horrors.

" Can we humans make such a radical change in our collective awareness or are we doomed to eventually be destroyed by our own technology and selfishness?" Sadly it seems the later - doomed to self-extinction. While we have millions dedicated to all the things that make for a sustainable future, the ruling class and their minions are mired in the quest for domination and wealth via vulture capitalism, and will drag/force all others to the same dead-end path. Wisdom in politics seems to have long since vanished as the playing-field has become so oppressive, controlled by big-money, ignorance, and viciousness. People that possess such wisdom and other qualities, ability to lead and have a desire for public service have been forced-out - who in their right mind would subject themselves to such evil madness and corruption? Only a very few, and we should latch on to them like there's no tomorrow..........

The list of today's "leaders" that never had experience in war encompasses most of them, as the "greatest generation" have mostly and sadly passed - we are left with snot-nose punks of little experience outside their own prejudices and bigotries, with even less moral compass......My cynicism and contempt runneth over....

Words or action, which make a policy?

A very relevant quote follows, which among others equally relevant, show the corrupt nature of today's politicians and the MICC President-General Eisenhower warned our nation against.

"Of all the enemies of true liberty, war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes; and armies, and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few. In war, too, the discretionary power of the Executive is extended; its influence in dealing out offices, honors and emoluments is multiplied; and all the means of seducing the minds, are added to those of subduing the force, of the people. The same malignant aspect in republicanism may be traced in the inequality of fortunes, and the opportunities of fraud, growing out of a state of war, and in the degeneracy of manner and of morals, engendered in both. No nation can preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.

War is in fact the true nurse of executive aggrandizement. In war, a physical force is to be created; and it is the executive will, which is to direct it. In war, the public treasuries are to be unlocked; and it is the executive hand which is to dispense them. In war, the honors and emoluments of office are to be multiplied; and it is the executive patronage under which they are to be enjoyed; and it is the executive brow they are to encircle. The strongest passions and most dangerous weaknesses of the human breast; ambition, avarice, vanity, the honorable or venal love of fame, are all in conspiracy against the desire and duty of peace" -- James Madison

It is hard not to become cynical and harbor contempt toward the status quo concerning our society's willingness to use violence but now that we have the ability to destroy ourselves, our home planet and the home of countless other species several times over it is now absolutely necessary that WE change. The question is how. I would love to see some discussion on this. I believe there is good in most people that could prevail if we make the effort to educate ourselves on each others needs, which are not too different from our own. One thing I think is that the like-minded will have to band together and refuse to do the bidding of the war-mongers any longer. A massive civil disobedience movement ala-1960's maybe for starters. I don't know, I'm not a mover/shaker, I just know we have to DO something. Any comments/ideas?

Weapons of mass deception ! :-

• Pretending to fight ISIS
  • In reality, installing ISIS and providing them with training in order to overthrow Syria.
  • Not interfering with oil trade and arming ISIS via turkey:- See John McCain FINALLY tell the truth in the armed services committee and slams Carter: We knew about ISIS fuel trucks all the time:-

Ashley Carter's response about not interfering with the arming of ISIS on "humanitarian grounds" is clearly a complete load of bunk. In reality, the USA has been bombing oil wells, only AFTER Sryia has recaptured them with the help of Russian air cover.