Home | About | Donate

'Risky and Reckless': Environmental Groups Renew Fight Against Shell

'Risky and Reckless': Environmental Groups Renew Fight Against Shell

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

A coalition of environmental and conservation groups on Monday renewed their challenge of a 2008 federal lease which opened nearly 30 million acres of Arctic waters to offshore drilling and was recently upheld by the U.S. Department of the Interior.

What's disgusting is the endless vigilance required against the oil companies by ordinary citizens. Here in California a suit was just filed by a Santa Barbara fisherman with intent for a class action against the company that recently caused the pipeline break. And, after all these years, a closure of several miles of beaches. I was 11 when the first one happened, and it's sickening that people are expected to be vigilantes against these companies forever.

Yeah, I was much older when I questioned the subsidies the oil people get. They should get none, it's sick. I do believe we had a turning point years ago, and many realized it, but with Reagan and the entire period of forcing silence we just lost traction. I have been somewhat judicious about personal use all my life, in part because I'm from LA and am the first to say it's no way to design a society. We have to drive but we don't have to drive as much as we are now.
Nonetheless, I've observed most people who work in big oil are pigs, in their social attitudes. I'd like to see big oil go down, but of course....

No, we have blown our wad with oil. Sure, we can't "stop" using it, but DRIVING has doubled in my lifetime in California. We rationed gas in WWII, sounds good right now.