Home | About | Donate

Row Upon Row of Empty Shoes Outside Trump White House as Nurses Honor Covid-19's Frontline Victims

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/05/07/row-upon-row-empty-shoes-outside-trump-white-house-nurses-honor-covid-19s-frontline

3 Likes

Support our frontline healthcare providers and send a letter to do so:

Send a message to the 10 key senators who can protect nurses

~https://act.medicare4all.org/letter/10-key-senators-to-protect-nurses/?source=em20200507-37652&t=3&akid=37652%2E36608%2E71FaYn

Here is a sample letter to Senators Alexander, Murkowski, Collins, Portman, Sinema, Hawley, Gardner, Grassley, Capito, and Schumer.

I’m calling on you to stand with nurses by mandating that OSHA enact an emergency temporary infectious diseases standard and mandating that President Trump fully utilize the Defense Production Act.

Nurses across the country are reporting that they are still not receiving the personal protective equipment (PPE) they need to safely care for COVID-19 patients. We need you to take action NOW to get nurses the PPE they need to take care of their patients and keep us all safe.

If nurses become infected, they won’t be there when you and your loved ones need them. Thank you.

6 Likes

thanks for this post, friend.

the NNU is a rock of solidarity.

2 Likes

CommonDreams carries the story. IF the nurses had brought their long-guns, maybe the Corporately Owned Media would pay attention. Too bad intelligent, educated, carry nurses can’t get the same level of attention as Meal-Team-6. Saving people’s lives is not as important as the ‘freedom to infect everyone else’.

4 Likes

A message from the grave from Eleanor Roosevelt, (FDR’s conscience):

When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?

4 Likes

While I wish these nurses well, I feel compelled to remind them that the current occupant of the White House is simply not smart enough and does not possess the ability for abstract thought in order to understand the symbolism of your protest.
The problem is that he’s not alone. The halls of Congress are filled with like minded “fellow travelers” that are equally obtuse.
We are circling the drain.

One more time this should be a wakeup call to this claiming “COVID19 no more dangerous than the Common flu”. Nurses and Doctors were not dying in such numbers due to the common flu.

3 Likes

Wonderful letter, just wonderful…thank you!

Lisa Murkowski is my senator and I can guarantee you Giovanna, she will probably file it in her round file.

Not until we destroy the Amerikan war profiteers!

2 Likes

Guard them in the dead of night. Trump will view them as a free inventory opportunity, the tone deaf shell of a human.

We should be doing much broader reasearch on what can be done to prevent COVID-19 before it starts. A number of widely available substances have been shown - for example by in vitro studies and drug searches by medical informatics software, to be promising but they are being ignored.

Stilbenes, one in particular (a substance that occurs in Japanese knotweed, peanuts, and famously, grapes, seem likely to be useful in food based pre-exposure prophylaxis, similar to what has been done with piglets and the pseudorabies virus. They might act as both antiviral and immunomodulator, which is exactly what the world needs. And most importantly, natural substances, especialy those derived from invasive plants, that grow all around the world, and are impossible to eradicate, would be affordable to all and impossible to monopolize.

If it works, this might provide a bridge from where we are now to immunity (a natural vaccine) by quenching the bulk of the cytokine storm before it starts. It would make each of our first encounters with this virus (the “original antigenic sin”) an effective one for creation of future immunity.

We need to investigate this possibility, not ignore it.