Home | About | Donate

s Brian Kemp Goes All "Banana Republic" in Georgia, Stacey Abrams and Democrats Have This Plan: Massive Voter Turnout

s Brian Kemp Goes All "Banana Republic" in Georgia, Stacey Abrams and Democrats Have This Plan: Massive Voter Turnout

Julia Conley, staff writer

While her Republican opponent was accused of more "Banana Republic"-style antics on the eve of the mid-term elections, Georgia's Democratic gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams on Monday responded by keeping a laser focus on what her strategy has largely been from the outset: a massive "Get Out the Vote" effort to overcome GOP suppression efforts.

I’m not sure who you get to vote that wouldn’t have before, but my sense is that it would be someone like: a singe, white college girl, parents are republican, friends are both republican and democrats, and this young lady voted republican last time out of tradition. Let’s hope more of the country rolls that way.

How the hell is Kemp allowed to do this, and the system itself incapable of stopping him? I mean, society will break down with the horrible people in power we have. They just don’t give a damn about anything but their own wealth and power. I realize that Kemp has been challenged in court, but he is blatantly violating peoples’ rights. Can he himself be held responsible and put on trial?

3 Likes

Great question. He should have been made to recuse himself from any role in overseeing the election as soon as he declared his candidacy—but that’s state election laws for you.

1 Like

I have no background in law at all, but if we don’t have a law against what he has done, then that itself says a lot about this rotten system of ours. Seems that someone that does what he has done should be facing jail time, he is violating basic constitutional rights.

3 Likes

If we had a real attorney general, he would apply this law:

18 U.S. Code § 242 - Deprivation of rights under color of law

1. Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or to different punishments, pains, or penalties, on account of such person being an alien, or by reason of his color, or race, than are prescribed for the punishment of citizens, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both; and if bodily injury results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include the use, attempted use, or threatened use of a dangerous weapon, explosives, or fire, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

_

4 Likes

Thanks. What is the statute of limitations for something like this? There are plenty of lefty lawyers, maybe someone would at least like to make his life a living hell for as long as possible.

I’m not sure what the statute of limitations is, but he’s just now committed these acts, so it’s not an issue for some time to come. The Kansas Secretary of State could share a cell with him as well, not to mention a good chunk of the Republican Party.

3 Likes

For good measure, we could throw in those who riged the 2016 D primaries for Rottenhams.

No, young people who have recently turned 18, those who sat out previous mid-term elections, motivated minority voters, and those who have switched parties due to Trump.