Home | About | Donate

San Bernardino Shooter’s Apple Password Changed While in Government Possession

San Bernardino Shooter’s Apple Password Changed While in Government Possession

Peter Van Buren

They lie like a rug.

In an attempt to convince Americans that having encryption and password-beating backdoors installed on their electronics so the government can snoop, the FBI first claimed the evil ISIS terrorists who shot up San Bernardino found a way to “beat” all of the resources of the NSA and lock down their iPhone to prevent further plots from being discovered. Lives were at risk, so the Fourth Amendment be damned!

That wasn’t really true.

What information might have backed up via his YFi? Who he called and who called him? Are whole conversations backed up? Is everything on the phone always backing itself up on the cloud? If it's who he called, what about the NSA records? It's important we learn about what's going on, but sometimes I wonder if everything's written for current iPhone owners...the rest of us not necessarily needing to know how we'll be monitored once we make the big purchase...the thinking being the only folks who'll ever understand anyway are the current set of owners already half way there to figuring out the issues...that in the future it'll be too complex to even try? The more who remain ignorant, the better? I won't buy one.

Thank you for the clarity Mr Van Buren, that's what I saw as well.

Except you have it all wrong...
"So, OK, it wasn’t the darn terrorists who did it, it was the dumb hicks...."

You forgot to add "Lying" to dumb hicks.

But since you started your article with lying rugs, I'll cut you slack.

Isn't it amazing how "The Truth will Out" still works after so many many years.

Apple's defense of its encryption system would be admirable, if it were not the exception in a long string of wrongs against the user.

Users of Apple software have to hope against hope Apple is totally trustworthy, because its mobile devices require users to trust Apple implicitly. Alas that Apple is not -- usually -- trustworthy.

For instance, the mistake made by the FBI and San Bernardino officials had the effect of disabling spyware that Apple inserts in the iThing software.

This is not the only malicious functionality that Apple has inserted. See http://gnu.org/proprietary/malware-apple.html for other examples.

Apple can do such things because its software is not free/libre. The users don't control it; it controls them. Visit fsf.org/tedx for an explanation of this.

No Argument there, having worked most of my life in the Proprietary OS wars,
none of the providers are to be trusted.

But indirectly using them to fight the battles is a valid use of resources.

Open Source is Best for a Reason. Software Created thru User Collaboration.