Home | About | Donate

Sanders and Jayapal Put Forth Bill to Provide No-Cost 'Health Care for All During Pandemic'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/04/10/sanders-and-jayapal-put-forth-bill-provide-no-cost-health-care-all-during-pandemic

3 Likes

Crises, like pandemics, don’t break things in and of themselves; they show you what’s already broken.

– Patrick Wyman

11 Likes

Too bad Sanders is not longer a candidate !
GAVIN NEWSOM, CALIFORNIA GOV. FOR PRESIDENT !
I know is too late, but I wish Gavin Newsom, California governor to be our next president ! He put public health before economy. He mandated an early stay home order to stop or control the spreading of the virus ! He was able to get enough respirators for Californians !
I also recognize the excellent work of the governors of Oregon and Washington State !

9 Likes

Trump and other recent POTUS have lowered the bar to the extent that to match Trump, candidates don’t need to jump over the bar, they need to grab a shovel and dig for it.

On second thought, a shovel probably won’t work. With the bar buried so deep it will take a backhoe to dig it out.

5 Likes

Maybe if the bill hangs around long enough Joe Biden can veto it.

9 Likes

Due to rising healthcare costs, the Medicare Trust Fund is running out of money, see:
*ttps://www.verywellhealth.com/is-medicare-going-to-run-out-of-money-4101217

This new bill increases the federal expenditure by covering the unemployed. To cover these expenses we either need 1) a new tax income stream going to the Medicare Trust Fund or 2) reduce existing wartime or other federal expenditures. If we fail to do either 1) or 2) then it could be passed as another one-time bailout that increases the National Debt.

One downside to the default “increase the National Debt” option is that it will be a one-time thing only. You also have to careful about compound interest kicking in for this option.

Lee Fang has an interesting project to reconstruct a roll call vote on the previous corporate giveaway. See if your congress whore is on the list of cowards who won’t make their vote transparent, and ask them. There is a form you can use to tell Lee if you get a response.

ttps://theintercept.com/2020/04/09/coronavirus-stimulus-package-congress-vote/

2 Likes

If Sanders could actually win a primary nomination I’d say, Bully for Bernie. But this is just another waste of the Democrats’ time in the House. The Fascists control this country. Nothing progressive is going to happen. Zero. And I do believe things are getting worse.

4 Likes

Good luck getting taxes raised on billionaires. The only president to do that in the past 50 years or so was Bill Clinton and you see what they have done to him…

1 Like

Isn’t Newsom Awesome. That should be his tag line

“AWESOME GAVIN NEWSOM
FOR PRES 2020”

Let’s hope the GOP doesn’t find a way to destroy him the way they did Gray Davis and Don Siegelman.

1 Like

This new bill from Sanders and Jayapal is wonderful news! Congress has already voted for $$ Trillions for the corporations, without any concern about the cost. Now we’ll get to see which of our senators and members of Congress are willing to sign on to this bill to help the rest of us.

11 Likes

The national debt is a non issue. The state can spend money when it wants, and it doesn’t have to issue debt in order to do so, or tax. There are things that we could do to actually modernize money creation, instead of endlessly creating money as if we are on the gold standard, which we got off of a half fucking century ago. Relatively simple things like nationalizing the Fed, allowing the Fed to buy directly from the Treasury or creating money through the Treasury. And, if we wanted to, we could create money through the Treasury and exchange that money for the outstanding Treasury debt. Financial capital would be most opposed to that, as the state would be exchanging money that doesn’t accrue interest for risk-free bonds (safest bets in the world). Nationalizing the Fed, creating money through the Treasury or having the Fed buy directly from the Treasury would be most opposed by private capital, for obvious reasons.

Like with everything else, it is a non-issue turned into an issue because of the corrupt idiots in power. Money could be put in the Medicare Trust Fund by a tax, or by direct state money creation (the “trillion dollar coin” idea). Again, letting Medicare run into problems is easily solvable and a choice. And there are ways to have it funded in a revenue neutral way, if that is your pet concern.

7 Likes

Given what we are facing with the pandemic, and with the coming environmental crisis, this whole shit show is going to utterly collapse. Doing nothing isn’t an option if they don’t want society to fall apart, which is a real possibility with what is coming for us economically. Either those in power have solutions or they don’t. This could be a solution. If those worthless assholes in office stand in the way of a potential solution, and don’t offer an actual alternative that works, they will regret it. This, to me, is as obvious as gravity. If they don’t radically change economic policy too, unrest is 100% certain. There are already wildcat strikes, that will grow, as will hungry, sick and desperate people. So, in that context, how does society function (especially with 30% unemployment) and how do you maintain social distancing to beat the pandemic? Maybe they will do nothing and maybe nothing much will happen. But thinking that, like in the past, that life will just go on relatively normal, is silly. That life is gone.

12 Likes

No way Trump or Biden will go for this. The american for profit healthcare complex has already bought them out.

1 Like

Your thinking too hard. Just worry about the current situation and stop compounding things by calculating costs. This is a do or die moment for our nation. Bold moves must be made.

Hi Maria804:
Bernie said he will still be on the ballots-----so I am voting for Bernie in May. Of course, the DNC will no doubt tell us that every Dem in America voted for Joe… LOL------ But then if Bernie gets enough votes, he will also have the delegates that go with it, and he can have an impact on America and set the stage for the government to work for ALL the People again. Of course, I am sure there will be those who try to interfere with this Bernie Action too--------but I can’t seem to find anything that the Biden person done in a positive way
for the People. Remember, Bernie SUSPENDED his campaign —he did not quit. Although I am sure that there are some back room people ready to steal those Bernie votes too. Sad that the DNC “leaders,” is so untrustworthy. : (

6 Likes

Great idea but they already squandered their leverage voting for the stimulus package which gave the Repugnants most of what they want; as well as setting the country up for disaster capitalism at its worse. Now try getting this past the Republican Senate; the Progressive caucus will have little to withhold from them.

2 Likes

Good points all. Maybe they want us to social distance because they know the “herd” could be something that may turn on them.

1 Like

ANYONE ON THESE BOARDS PROFESSING TO BE A DISGRUNTLED BERNIE SUPPORTER PLANNING TO VOTE FOR TRUMP IS A SHILL. ANYONE URGING TO SPLIT THE DEMOCRATIC VOTE IN NOVEMBER BY VOTING WRITE-IN FOR BERNIE IS PROBABLY ALSO A SHILL AND SHOULD BE SHUNNED.
THIS MORNING ON DEMOCRACY NOW! AMERICA’S GREATEST LIVING INTELLECTUAL:
NOAM CHOMSKY: "If Trump is re-elected, it’s a indescribable disaster. It means that the policies of the past four years, which have been extremely destructive to the American population, to the world, will be continued and probably accelerated. What this is going to mean for health is bad enough. I just mentioned the Lancet figures. It will get worse. What this means for the environment or the threat of nuclear war, which no one is talking about but is extremely serious, is indescribable.

Suppose Biden is elected. I would anticipate it would be essentially a continuation of Obama — nothing very great, but at least not totally destructive, and opportunities for an organized public to change what is being done, to impose pressures.
…And the Republican Party, which is just monstrous, no longer qualifies as a political party. It simply sheepishly echoes everything the master says. Zero integrity. It’s just amazing to watch. He’s surrounded himself by a collection of sycophants who just repeat worshipfully everything he says."

It’s your choice folks. Split the vote and get four more of accelerated fascism or unite to defeat Trump.

3 Likes

And, by the way, any emergency help, due to corona virus, should be without any income tax consequences.

2 Likes