Home | About | Donate

Sanders Campaign Is a Genuine Progressive Social Movement for Democracy

Sanders Campaign Is a Genuine Progressive Social Movement for Democracy

Danny Glover

Bernie Sanders' campaign has already accomplished what most observers -- including many of his supporters -- thought was impossible. Coming from 40 points behind in the polls when the campaign began, he achieved a virtual tie with Hillary Clinton in Iowa and enjoys a huge lead in the second Democratic contest in New Hampshire.

Bernie is the only candidate whose proposed programs are consistent with the findings of the most comprehensive study of capitalism to date--Piketty's "Capital in the Twenty-First Century". I would love to see him bring Michael Hudson and Joseph Stiglitz on board. I would also like for Bernie to address the environment, which I believe he would do if elected, but doesn't seem to want to stump on that issue. He is the best bet to bring the American people back into active citizenship.

When Glover says that “Sanders has demonstrated that he understands that real democracy is essentially a pro-active citizenry demanding that public servants represent just causes,” I am reminded of the words of Frederick Douglass:

“Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong that will be imposed upon them, and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows, or both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.”

Danny that was about the best endorsement, either black or white, that I have read to date.

edit: Danny Glover for VP.

Wow! Talk about "making a case!" If everyone in the country reads this article, Bernie is IN!

Mr. Glover, you had me at:

We must change our national priorities, away from the endless overseas wars that are the main cause of terrorism -- therefore begetting more war -- and invest in the education of our children and youth.

BRAVO Danny! Your words ring true as does Sanders himself and the policies he advocates and fights for today as he has for many decades!

Sanders and the coalition he is building are "a genuine mass justice movement"!

Thank you for your principled activism!

Clearly Sanders needs to do better with black voters. I don't think the problem is Sanders. I think he does so poorly because Clinton is so popular with black voters. Black voters don't seem to have all these negative views on Clinton that white voters have based on polling results. She has extremely high favorability ratings with black voters. White voters and black voters seem to perceive her differently.

Most black voters still have no idea of who Bernie Sanders is. As for their support for Hillary, it is only there until a better alternative presents itself. Black voters are not as beholden to Hillary as lets say rich, white, housewives. Many African Americans will also take their cue (unfortunately) from Obama despite his inability to help African Americans during his 7 years as president. But I expect an upset in South Carolina nevertheless as Bernie will resonate with particularly young voters and activists in that State. As long as people like Danny Glover keep stepping up to the plate in support of the "Revolution", we may actually create the biggest event in 21st century America... if Bernie actually wins in November!

Among the many good points Danny G. makes is that free college tuition was once real, not just imagined, in California. I personally earned two graduate degrees in California without paying "tuition" only modest fees. No school loans. No debt. Shame on corporate Dems for suggesting the impossibility of a return to something that once was.

put yourself in the shoes of a little afghan girl whose brother just got his head blown off in a drone attack. walk a mile in her shoes.
gonna vote for treasonous lying mass murderers?

Consider those two trillion in tax cuts, an endless war, the bloated debt, tax loopholes for big corporations and a phenomenally huge military budget and you wonder how long they can keep starving the Golden Goose before she dies?

They plunder America of her strength (a great education makes us competitive and strong for the future) and act like greed is patriotic.

Danny Glover:

" What makes Sanders campaign worthy of serious attention is that, unlike other candidates, he has a decades long track record of fighting for the reforms that he is proposing."

That in a nutshell is why I am supporting Bernie. Sure, Bernie may not be able to implement his proposed reforms but the fact that he sincerely wants to, is good enough for me and if Bernie is denied the Democratic nomination for POTUS, which is a distinct possibility, progressives need to be ready for a plan B.

She disgraces their support with her servicing of corporate constituencies that has created grave injustices in our society.

I get it... you're auditioning for a Comedy Act, right?

Pay no attention to all those media endorsements or attempts to keep Mr. Sanders' views restricted to debates aired on "off nights."

Kiddo, if more Blacks and Hispanics HEAR Mr. Sanders (preferably without the intro that he can't win and is not electable), he'd have a rushing tsunami of support.

But of course, your job is to keep pumping out those subliminal messages than ensure that Mr. Sanders CANNOT be elected/able. "Does Poorly..."

People like YOU get the govt. they deserve. The rest of us have to SUFFER the results!

Like Lrx, you're totally full of s--t!

How many times has C.D. published POLL results that ask Americans what they think about definable issues? Issues like increasing the minimum wage, reducing the military budget, taxing Wall St., and extending Medicare to all? The resulting numbers, typically around 77% show that most Americans POLL PROGRESSIVE.

It's labels (and chumps like you who traffic in them) that make for all the deception and misconceptions.

Taxes were also substantially higher on wealthy persons and corporations, not yet able to rush to India and China to make products far more cheaply, actually had to adhere to American Tax law. Indeed, after the fall of the Berlin Wall and open trade relations with the former Soviet Union, most thinking persons expected to see a Peace Dividend rather than new wars dreamed up and engineered (on the basis of fake evidence) in order to fully cannibalize so much of the U.S. budget.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

If Sanders doesn't get the Democratic nomination, I'll go back to what I have done for the last 30 years...vote 3rd party.

"Hank" Kissinger supports his good friend Hillary. Birds of a feather stick together.

Sen. Sanders used to speak out powerfully about US poverty and the need for legitimate poverty relief programs. Today, he stands specifically with the middle class. Not everyone is able to work, and we simply don't have jobs for all. The last I heard, there are 7 jobs for every 10 people struggling to find one -- and this doesn't include those who have been pushed out entirely (can't get a job once you no longer have a home address, phone, bus fare). We already tried years of calling for jobs, but until those jobs come along, does Sen. Sanders have any ideas about those in deep poverty?