Home | About | Donate

Sanders Slams US Inequality as Report Finds Nearly Half of Americans Can't Afford Basic Necessities

Sanders Slams US Inequality as Report Finds Nearly Half of Americans Can't Afford Basic Necessities

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

"Is that really the kind of society we want to be living in?"

That's how Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) responded to a new study from United Way's ALICE Project, which found that 43 percent of U.S. households—nearly 51 million families—cannot afford "a bare-bones household budget of housing, child care, food, transportation, and healthcare."

A federal jobs guarantee sounds like a great place to start—maybe we could create an updated Civilan Conservation Corps and put thousands in every state to work planting trees, bless their little carbon-sink hearts.

The sad part about all this is that it didn’t have to happen. We as Americans were sold a bill of goods by the Robber Barons of the 20th century. The Industrial Revolution was going to create a paradise for everyone. Better things, better jobs, more employment, etc. It worked really well…for the rich. Everyone else in some manner or form got screwed royale!

You know who never has a problem with this?

THE AMISH!

They are what we could have been, with modifications. They understand self-sufficiency. Don’t have a job? Well, no problem because we own our own farm land, which feeds us, and we own our own house on the land we own. Many successful Amish businessmen have businesses and family farms. They take care of themselves by being a community (ever see a community barn-raising?)

The modifications? Self-sufficiency within the context of modernity, meaning that there are some things that technology can give us that we want, such as important medical devices and cures. I’m not suggesting that we have no technological improvements, but what Capitalism has done in this country (and the world) is to brainwash us into believing that we need a bunch of crap that we really don’t need, and then happily loaned us into never-ending debt to pay for unimportant garbage.

The Amish I knew when I lived in Pennsylvania were happy and prosperous. Perhaps the Industrial Revolution has been a century long lie that we have bought into?

I see statistics like that and always wonder at how much the people will take before doing something about their subjugation and poverty. Look, if you cannot afford basic necessities, then you are poor. No getting around it…that is the definition of poor. 3 Men own more then the entire bottom half of the population. Think about that…3 guys, have more then the bottom 150 million. That blows my mind. But it doesn’t blow my mind half as much as the fact the American people let them get away with it. Based on past behavior I can only conclude America will allow itself to be raped, until there is nothing left. Only hunger will wake people up…then they will act violently and foolishly. I really can’t see this country saving itself. It does not compute…

One thing everyone should know by now, electing Donald Trump as president of this country is not the answer. On the other hand, the Koch brothers and their supporters don’t view this economic inequality situation as a problem at all. They see it as a natural outcome when there is economic liberty and view government attempts to address economic inequality as a form of tyranny. What they want is even more economic liberty as they call making as much money as you can and not be required though taxes to help the less fortunate.

Peter Joseph of the Zeitgeist Movement has a lot of the answers, but unfortunately we’ll have to feel a LOT more pain before the survivors are willing to consider change.

In reality there are only a few hundred people worldwide causing 99% of the trouble, and a roll of duct tape, a locked closet in an undisclosed location and/or a few guillotines would solve the problem. It will never happen because we haven’t yet realized it’s millions of us to every one of them, and we’re unwilling to admit that psychopaths are the ‘people’ most likely to grab power. We’re still repeating the doomed history we don’t learn well enough.

It would be nice if we had federal support. We don’t and are not apt to any time soon. Both Democratic and Republican parties are pro-corporate and therefore perforce largely anti-populace.

Other peoples did and do supplement their currency income with other resources. Americans could do that; a few of us are. But it takes a bit of learning if you have been an urban supermarket shopper all your life.

Don’t wait until the crash before you start, if at all possible.

It’s predatory capitalism and/or bust.

Isn’t the free market just wonderful? :weary: All those lower income, whining people who don’t make enough to thrive - they really just need to play the game harder, meaner and faster according to competition theory. Do anything to make as much money as possible, right? Soon, they too can brutalize millions and celebrate by complying with and promoting the commodification of human beings. Then, they too will be happy in this most excellent, best-ever social program. $$$$$ is god. $$$$ is happy. Happy $$$$ god rules. Millions suffer needlessly, the church of capitalism illuminated by their anguish.The choir sings fervently.

The thing about capitalism - it never has to say sorry. It has no human values. It is above such nonsense.

For approximately 42 million Americans: THE ANSWER IS AN UNEQUIVOCAL AND IMMUTABLE YES!

And we are bombarded with how well the economy is doing, how that the unemployment rate has dropped and we are now at “full employment”. What hogwash, and harkens back to the days of the “company store”. The US now has hundreds of millions of indentured servants, working full-time only to give more than they earn to the plutocrats. Ayn Rand is masturbating in her grave at how those who aren’t rich are only getting what they deserve. If only we could strip the wealthy of their ill-gotten riches, throw them into the street and let them beg from those whom they formerly ruled. I bet they would get much better treatment than they ever gave.