Home | About | Donate

Sanders Sues Top Ohio Official over Discriminatory Voting Law

Sanders Sues Top Ohio Official over Discriminatory Voting Law

Nika Knight, staff writer

With only a week to go before the Ohio primaries, Bernie Sanders' campaign on Tuesday filed a lawsuit (pdf) in federal court against Ohio Secretary of State Jon A. Husted, alleging that the state's barring of 17-year-olds from voting in the primary plainly discriminates against young Latino and black voters.

Democratic voters in most states are permitted to vote in primaries, provided they will be 18 by the general election.

Be alert, Bernie people in Ohio, watch out for the booby traps and minefields. Remember the Kerry mess? See this extensive piece from CD on the election of 2004.

http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0601-34.htm

The lawsuit is also a statement. Not only does Bernie pick up real voters, but every time that he fights electoral lawlessness he picks up votes.

Bernie spends campaign money now to win these swing states in November! That's the real story. A whole lot of Democrats down the ticket are going to draft into office riding Bernie's tailwind.

Hillary wants to win solidly Republican Mississippi because she only wants to win the Democratic nomination, and may the general election be in shambles for her. Even the campaign staffers are starting to wake up and say, "we have a real primary fight on our hands." I don't think they're quite awake yet, but meh, that's their issue.

Thank you. the article is worth reading - for those in a rush here are 10 salient points from the article:

(...) "Republicans derided anyone who expressed doubts about Bush's victory as nut cases in ''tinfoil hats,'' while the national media, with few exceptions, did little to question the validity of the election. The
Washington Post immediately dismissed allegations of fraud as ''conspiracy theories,''(1) and The New York Times declared that ''there is no evidence of vote theft or errors on a large scale.''(2) But despite the media blackout, indications continued to emerge that something deeply troubling had taken place in 2004. Nearly half of the 6 million American voters living abroad(3) never received their ballots -- or received them too late to vote(4) -- after the Pentagon unaccountably shut down a state-of-the-art Web site used to file overseas registrations.(5) A consulting firm called Sproul & Associates, which was hired by the Republican National Committee to register voters in six battleground states,(6) was discovered shredding Democratic registrations.(7) In New Mexico, which was decided by 5,988 votes,(8) malfunctioning machines mysteriously failed to properly register a presidential vote on more than 20,000 ballots.(9) Nationwide, according to the federal commission charged with implementing election reforms, as many as 1 million ballots were spoiled by faulty voting equipment -- roughly one for every 100 cast.(10) " (...)

Ohio. State of the hacked machines. Seems like every big election.

Jon A. Husted is one of those puffy baby-faced republicans who is as corrupt as the worst far-right bagger.

Search for "Jon A. Husted fraud", and you'll see that this putrid man spends a lot of time uncovering voter fraud...where none exists.

Ohio is one of the top dirtiest states in the country for election rigging and fraud. It's a cesspool of right-wing politics, tea-bagger mindlessness, and holier-than-thou horsecrap.

Ohio is the state that rigged a Bush election. And the person who set up the fraud eventually was killed. Search for "Republican operative Michael Connell".

Ohio could be a solidly blue state, but a carefully orchestrated right-wing stranglehold on its governance keeps it red...which comes in handy when elections need to be nudged in a certain direction.

Democratic strongholds in Ohio tend to get voting machines that are out-of-order or inadequate. It stinks to high heaven.

Since Kasich became governor, its gotten worse in Ohio. Despite the media casting GOP primary candidate Kasich as a moderate Republican, he is less moderate than Trump and nearly as extreme as his idol, Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker, whom he imitates whenever possible.

Lil' Dubya the Deserter wanted to be a "War President". Sounds real macho. But in fact, a President gets to send our soldiers to fight, kill and die in wars of choice. Vote suppressors are not only subverting democracy, but are directly responsible for placing war criminals in the Whitehouse. This aids and abets mass murder, a capital crime that requires capital punishment. Enforcing such a law would be one way to end voter suppression and corruption of the electoral process.

Who votes is important, but who gets to count the votes is more important! And both Ohio and Florida have been guilty of malfeasance and nefarious voting practices in the past.

Maybe what is needed in Ohio and Florida is a new voting button that says: I voted but my vote did not count!

Could the 2016 Election Be Stolen with Help from Electronic Voting Machines? - February 23 Democracy Now

In this recent Democracy Now!, Harvey Wasserman states "the 2004 election was stolen from John Kerry". Its kind of strange to hear him say it straight out like that, rather then "we believe the 2004 election was stolen". He states it like it is a fact. So I get the impression that the evidence is overwhelming. And yet, what has been done because of this election theft? Probably nothing.

I want to know WTF is WRONG with the Democratic Party that OVER & OVER AGAIN they just stand by & DO NOTHING when Republicans pull these election dirty tricks---from the 200,000 PURGED Florida voters(mostly Black & Latino) in 2000 to tircky voting machinesin Ohio in 2004 to the various OBSTACLES TO VOTING in states across the country...and the DEMOCRATIC PARTY DOES NOTHING...and they wonder why people are sick of them? I decided after 2000, any political party who would NOT even fight for their own VICTORIOUS candidate, could NOT be trusted to fight for me. (Yes, I have voted for SOME Democrats since 2000--but, I also support the Green Party). Increasingly the ONLY thing the Democratic Party sells is FEAR---fear of the gGOP. I support Bernie Sanders becuase he ash integrity--something HIllary Clinton lacks

This is another trick of the Clinton campaign. Futile and low. Reminds me the Iowa six coins or the people changing their T-shirts, and so on. The establishment's rigging fantasy knows no limits.

" Obviously they know about that." I agree, that is an absolute no- brainor!

She's only winning the red states which is useless in the long run, except for getting the wrong nominee who does wore against every Republican than Bernie does.

This is manna from heaven. Sanders gets to show his anti-establishment colors, and builds cred with black and brown communities in one fell swoop.

You want to know why the dems. capitulate time and time again? In a nutshell: THEY ARE CORRUPT AND OWNED BY THE MIC, THE OLIGARCHS AND WALL STREET!

Look no further than Debbie, HRC, Albright, Kissinger and too many others to name here and you will realize the Democratic party, with very few exceptions, like Wellstone and Bernie are: THE FAKE OPPOSITION PARTY.

Thanks for supporting Dr. Jill Stein.