Home | About | Donate

Sanders Takes Aim at Corporate Polluters With Bill to Clean Up Toxic 'Forever Chemicals' in Drinking Water

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/01/29/sanders-takes-aim-corporate-polluters-bill-clean-toxic-forever-chemicals-drinking

2 Likes

If Bernie keeps coming up with new ideas and fixes on daily basis people will have two ways of looking at him. Either he is the best thing since ice cream, or he will appear flaky and appearing to want to do too much.

If I was a Democratic-minded voter, I’d be very hesitant to donate to the party collective after learning about the 2016 Democratic National Convention, during which (unless I’m seriously mistaken) there were instances of large-majority state-primary wins by Bernie Sanders that party hacks instead fraudulently gave to Hillary Clinton as legitimate victories.
For example, every county in West Virginia voted overwhelmingly for Sanders, yet the DNC declared them as wins for Clinton, the latter candidate’s neo-liberalism, quite unlike Sanders’ true progressiveness, already known for not rubbing against any big business grains.
Both the federal Republican and Democratic party establishments (perhaps somewhat like Canada’s alternating Conservative and Liberal party governments) essentially do the bidding of corporations and the very wealthy. It’s what some call a corpocracy: the consistent kowtowing to big business’s thinly veiled threats to relocate its headquarters, large numbers of jobs and even capital; or corporate lobbyists writing bills for governing representatives to vote for and have implemented, often enough word for word.
Even if it is a Democratic National Committee prerogative to override a genuinely elected state primary candidate in favour of its own internally chosen one, no wonder so many low-incomed struggling citizens perceive futility in voting at all, let alone waiting in long lineups to do so.
P.S. I sure hope Biden (or any other establishment candidate, for that matter) doesn’t become the candidate, but I believe the old-school order will ensure he does receive a primary win.
(Frank Sterle Jr.)

2 Likes

When I learn about notably moral/ethical people, for example Senator Bernie Sanders, deciding to run for any government leadership—especially nationally—I question their wisdom. Over my 32 years of observation, I’ve found that the further up the scale of governance a politician ventures (i.e. regional, state/provincial and federal), the more varied and numerous the values and interests an elected official represents thus the greater the degree of dilution and, yes, compromise of one’s admirable moral values. There’s a basically consistent human political history filled with examples of such great disappointments. A part of me even doesn’t want them to win the election so those moral qualities can remain untainted. (Frank Sterle Jr.)

1 Like

Yes I so agree. I was just going to thank Bernie as well. BTW I am also tired of running my expensive osmosis filter.

BERNIE 2020

Maybe Congress would be more responsive if the water coolers in their offices were filled with water from Flint. Or perhaps from the fracking in Wyoming. Oh wait— Mar-A-Largo could definitely use some “Super Water,” for their guests. : )

5 Likes

They will. This is Florida… a huge sand bar extending out into the ocean. They are down by the southern tip.

Water levels are rising… if next years super-hurricane doesn’t do it first, they will have all of the “Super Water” we need them to have.

4 Likes

Doesn’t the idea that trump would veto a legislative proposal that would help clean up the people’s water piss anybody off?

4 Likes