Home | About | Donate

Sanders Tells Clinton: 'Henry Kissinger No Friend of Mine'

Sanders Tells Clinton: 'Henry Kissinger No Friend of Mine'

Jon Queally, staff writer

President Richard Nixon's notoriously ruthless Secretary of State Henry Kissinger—who, among other things, has been accused of being war criminal for his leading role in the covert bombing of Laos and Cambodia during the Vietnam War and the overthrow of the democratically elected government of Chile in 1973—became a heated subject of contrast in Thursday night's Democratic debate between Bernie Sanders and Hi

Don't forget to bash Brzezinski, Bernie. Keep up the good work!

Kissinger in my most humble opinion is a sleaze ball of the highest order.

This last conversation being impetus in my small world to give another of my 27 hard earned dollars to the Bernie campaign.

Kissinger was never elected to office and is one of those figures that has an undue influence in the history of the country through succeeding administrations. Kissinger, Greenspan, J. Edgar Hoover and others end up dominating some aspect of government with an entrenched power out of proportion to their role as an employee in a democracy. Maybe term limits should be instituted for these unelected offices if our democracy is to function like a democracy?

Again John Queally an excellent piece of summation of the best commentary on this subject. Since it was on broadcast TV I was able to watch this one. That moment last night as well as several others brought Sanders very close to opening a full-scale critique of US imperialism since the end of WWII. It will take a very deft and inspired strategy to widen that conversation and not get plowed under by the atrophied jingoism and exceptionalism that poses for historical reality.

...and progressive sites, I'm not naming names, are full of BS on how Berrnie's is a quixotic quest.

Judy Woodruff is also a contributor to the Clinton Foundation.

No one mentioned that the records of the Clinton Foundation have been subpoenaed.

Did John Lewis actually see the Clintons marching with Civil Rights protesters in the 60s? http://hotair.com/archives/2016/02/11/john-lewis-said-he-knew-the-clintons-in-the-civil-rights-era-but-he-didnt-always-make-that-claim/ I have the utmost respect for Congressman Lewis, but his endorsement is bizarre.

Who were those three clueless commentators on PBS during the break?

Yet, Bernie won the debate, per usual on substance, and on style.

So Hillary supports a member of the criminal gang that broke into the Democratic Party headquarters in Washington DC, in order to disrupt and diminish the Democratic Party. The Sanders campaign should do more to exhibit this fact.

Our "flagship newspaper of record," the New York Times today praises HR Clinton's debate performance. It is unbiased in its reporting, you know.

Bernie really needs to detail his foreign/military policy more. He lost the chance in this debate to put some meat on those bones. It has to include reigning in the MIC and bringing our troops home if he is going to have any chance of paying for national health care and free tuition. Look at Canada for an example.

be careful to label graphic material as such on the assumption that you don't know the disposition of the audience here at any given time. otherwise, your point is a good one.

If only this could be played over and over again on the MSM!

I thought Bernie was too easy on Kissinger and should have gone full King Lear on him:

“A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a
base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited,
hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a
lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson,
glass-gazing, super-serviceable finical rogue;
one-trunk-inheriting slave; one that wouldst be a
bawd, in way of good service, and art nothing but
the composition of a knave, beggar, coward, pandar,
and the son and heir of a mongrel bitch: one whom I
will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest
the least syllable of thy addition.”

The Clinton campaign is in dogwhistle decontextualization mode!

Did anyone note the retort by Clinton to the issue of Wall Street money campaign contributions that despite Obama accepting more than any other candidate, when the time came he "stood up to Wall Street"?

Sorry, cabinet posts, advisers, leaders of policy making and the raft of shenanigans during the Obama admin call for a big fat red reset button on that claim.- you know, like the one she so crassly used for photo ops with Putin.

Powerful stuff in this article, and something powerful in the wind -- truth. From the streets of Baltimore to the fields of Iowa and across the country -- things that truly matter finally, finally being spoken aloud.

Good comments, and I agree. So far it seems that Bernie's campaign is fortunate to be staffed with very intelligent, hardworking people -- yet another indication of Sanders' perceptiveness and management abilities.

Kissinger was the Cheney of Sanders' and Clinton's generation. Ideology and her tendency towards neoconservative aside, it is here where a clear leadership distinction between them is made. Sanders has the ability to recognize and learn from the mistakes of history.... Clinton clearly does not.

It’s not that she’s been bought, it’s that she bought in.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Ask anyone you know who supports Trump where he falls in that spectrum!

Thanks for the Gaddafi clip; It is interesting to me that Ms. Clinton was Senator when 911 occurred in her district, and she failed to notice (like every other politician) that WTC Building 7 was a demolition which the 911 Commission declined to investigate. She's tied into the "deep state" I fear.

On substance I thought he just barely held his own last night. Clinton came very well prepared and at times Bernie seemed to flail. If, and it's a big if, I knew nothing of the debaters' histories I would have judged that Clinton won last night's debate going away. But all of her carefully crafted words were not spoken in a vacuum absent history, both personal and collective. This does not bode well for Sanders with much of the electorate that don't know much about him. In some measure it comes down to whether one regards Clinton as believable. Hawkish, elitist, and a member of the oligarchy she is now suddenly bog's divine gift to progressivism. In a word: hogwash.

And that she places no value on the mistakes of history -- or perhaps just sees them as necessary collateral damage in the upward trajectory of Empire -- says everything about the values that would guide her foreign policy decisions.

"Obama's Big Sellout: The President has Packed His Economic Team with Wall Street Insiders" - Matt Taibbi - Link to his article follows.....

"Barack Obama ran for president as a man of the people, standing up to Wall Street as the global economy melted down in that fateful fall of 2008. He pushed a tax plan to soak the rich, ripped NAFTA for hurting the middle class and tore into John McCain for supporting a bankruptcy bill that sided with wealthy bankers "at the expense of hardworking Americans."

"Then he got elected."

"in the year since Obama won the presidency has turned out to be one of the most dramatic political about-faces in our history. - November 5th, 2008 - Obama announced (his) transition team - many of the names were familiar - former Bill Clinton chief of staff John Podesta, long-time Obama confidante Valerie Jarrett - the list was most notable for who was not on it, especially on the economic side. Austan Goolsbee, a University of Chicago economist who had served as one of Obama's chief advisers during the campaign, didn't make the cut. Neither did Karen Kornbluh, who had served as Obama's policy director and was instrumental in crafting the Democratic Party's platform. Both had emphasized populist themes during the campaign: Kornbluh was known for pushing Democrats to focus on the plight of the poor and middle class, while Goolsbee was an aggressive critic of Wall Street, declaring that AIG executives should receive "a Nobel Prize - for evil." - both were banished from Obama's inner circle - and replaced with a group of Wall Street bankers."

The legacy of Barack Obama is one of betrayal (up to & including today) although many who should know better ignore the facts, beginning with abandoning progressives & prog issues, "banished from Obama's inner circle - and replaced with a group of Wall Street bankers.with economic" - embracing DLC corporatism & Clinton's "triangulation" sell-out politics! That MO from Bill Clinton thru Obama, now represented (although hidden behind devious rhetoric and false claims) by Hillary Clinton, the heir apparent - another sell-out we must expose, IMO......

And more on Clinton machine politics....Kissinger, "the butcher of of Cyprus, Cambodia, Chile, East Timor, Vietnam, Greece, Argentina, Nicaragua, etc. etc. etc." - really Hillary?....