Home | About | Donate

Sanders Unveils Plan to Hike Taxes on Corporations That Pay CEOS 'Hundreds of Times What Their Workers Make'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/09/30/sanders-unveils-plan-hike-taxes-corporations-pay-ceos-hundreds-times-what-their

4 Likes

Here’s a message from the Union of Bernie Trolls:

GO BERNIE!!!

9 Likes

It is a proven fact that what is top heavy falls over. It is the top 1%'s patriotic duty to pay more so our Republic can survive. FDR was able to get them to see that oh so many years ago but now we have to do it again. Greed is a disease, dis-ease, so many are not at ease it is grossly unfair.

6 Likes

But…But…Warren has a plan…

2 Likes

50 times is still going to be a lot. Why not 20?

1 Like

Claw back all the wealth they have stolen over the past five decades. ALL OF IT. And if they resist, string the ratbastards up from the lampposts on Wall Street.

5 Likes

Doesn’t look like the Bernie camp has a different strategy than the last time, or do they? Dems/Establishment/Media up to the same old tricks to derail his candidacy.

Is he just going to fold again this time?

1 Like

Good for Sanders to talk about this, but under current conditions no congress would ever pass this.

probably true especially with the DSCC and DCCC supporting Republicans over Progressive Democrats.
But by Bernie’s second term that worm may have turned.

2 Likes

It was just talk when Bernie talked about 15 dollars an hour and medicare for all. Now the public demands it. Talking can be good. The press and politicians won’t bring it up.
Bernie 2020

10 Likes

True. Let’s hope. But he would face an onslaught as vicious as that directed at Allende and Corbyn.

3 Likes

I agree with you Bernie, the top should pay more - much more than they do now.

3 Likes

This is the perfect plan to reduce income inequality.
Companies can either share the wealth with their workforce or they can give it to Uncle Sam. My guess is they will reduce the pay gap. They hate giving money to Uncle Sam!

1 Like

Do we really think they won’t find a way to get that money? Routed through the board members perhaps, or some offshore hanky panky etc? I see a nasty, who’s entitled, battle with that proposal.

I’ll give Sanders credit for answering the “but how are you going to pay for it” question.

Also, in this case, the money he’d be raising through this tax is actually not that outrageous.

And when the public sees that some CEOs rake in big money while heading up companies that lose money, Bernie will have some ammo on his side.

Does that mean I think it would pass Congress even with Dem majorities? Hell no.

2 Likes

An interesting proposal but I am wondering on what is deemed “pay”. If stock options are left out of the equation then these guys will just game the system.

5 Likes

Yes, the Warren plan, she just posted it. Half the increase and it kicks in when the CEO is paid 1000X the average worker. It strikes fear in the hearts of nobody.

5 Likes

So…apparently nothing new to see, eh? Maybe instead of “Tin Lizzie” she should be called “Water-it-Down-Warren”.

5 Likes

This is not an idea to raise new revenue for the government. It is a strategy to force companies to share the profits with the workers making it all possible by hitting them in their wallet.

6 Likes

I understand that corporations want to hire top talent for their top jobs, but I don’t give a damn who you are, anybody who makes more than a million a year in a company that depends on cheap labor to make their profits, is a greedy bastard. There should be a salary cap for CEOs all across the board.

5 Likes