Home | About | Donate

Saving Seeds: Farmers Rise Up Against Industry-Backed Laws

Saving Seeds: Farmers Rise Up Against Industry-Backed Laws

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

For millennia, the practice of saving and exchanging seeds has been fundamental to crop production in farming communities across the globe. Now, faced with a growing push on the part of governments and corporate agribusiness to limit this practice and thus threaten the food sovereignty of millions, farmers worldwide are fighting back.

Capitalism is not content in controlling our housing and water but also our food supply, Here, in the Belly of the Beast (USA) in my small rural community, a seed sharing has been started in the local library. I'll bring the pdf mentioned to them.

Seems like there was something about a law being passed here in the USA recently that got small farmers up in a tizzy. Something about not being able to sell their produce to their neighbors without a permit or some such. Can someone enlighten me on that?

I can't believe, they are harassing, poor peoples, from saving and using seeds! The seed libraries, you mentioned, are getting illegal, in some US cities, already! Hope they do not discover, your community! Peoples have shared seeds, forever! IF the seeds, from immigrants, had not been brought to this country, we would have few foods. Not much for here. I guess, the poor ole corporations, like monsanto and others, are just not making enough profit, that they have to steal, what lives, those in poor nations, are trying to have! Disgusting, seeds, are part of nature, not owned, by some greedy elite corporation or government.

This is more important than economics - and poor people's rights. Today we love a mono-culture agriculture. Everything ripens at the same time - harvested mechanically - resistant to the same pests and diseases. Economically it makes sense - but that crop in ever fewer varieties, is also subject to the same pests and diseases - to heat - wind - rain at the same critical time across the whole field - while traditional agriculture used a wide variety of crops - extended planting/growing/harvesting season, and many variety's would survive periods of stress. There is production advantage to "modern seeds" - industry has helped feed the world, but they also are increasing the risk. Imagine people walking the interstate highway system - 2 to 3 miles per hour, but good walking paths. It wouldn't move the goods and services we expect. Now put them in cars - let them drive 60-70 mph, and when conditions are normal, and non-rush hour it moves an amazing amount of traffic. Then up the speed - us NASCAR machines, and drivers, run at speeds 200 mph. Most drivers couldn't keep out of the way - but the NASCAR drivers would move quickly across the country. Give us all high speed cars - and when no accidents jam things up, traffic moves quickly and even rush hours don't seem crowded. But lose your focus for a minute and serious accidents happen, roads close, and the fall out is severe. This is what is at stake as fewer agriculture suppliers control every greater amounts of production. When it works, it is great - but the risk of catastrophic breakdown increases significantly, with impacts far beyond the "farmers".

SAVING SEEDS

Everything
is seed
simple but possible

eye or grain
hand and woman
sand locked in food

music of tree and fish
egg seed
ocean born

twists in concert
with blossoms
of air

storms are seeded
erupt and placate
love

and sate
succor manwoman
in the heat of

pure showers
meeting
Everything

seed assembly
in my hand
to your hand

elder to elder
death
to life

a sac of blood
and water
sprouts

child
child
child

The patronizing triumvirate (Agribusiness, Development Aid, Foundations) line for Africa is always the same: African farmers need 'improved seeds' and fertilizer, i.e. what can be sold to them by corporations. To these three, Africa is just one big corporate welfare scheme.

If the seed giants would invest some of their billions into terra farming in africa their would be no hunger, there is plenty of water down in the ground....~V~