Home | About | Donate

Saying He Would Return to US for Fair Trial, Snowden Wants People to Know 'Why I Did What I Did'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/09/16/saying-he-would-return-us-fair-trial-snowden-wants-people-know-why-i-did-what-i-did

4 Likes

Sadly, Ed’s a bright guy and he’s certainly learned the lessons from both the Manning farce (where public interest was explicitly excluded as a defense–as were virtually every other reasonable defense) and Assange’s case, where everything’s going to go down in secret.

Not sure why Ed’s getting itchy feet in Russia at the moment, or if he even is, but he’s never going to return to the US in anything but chains.

I doubt even a President Sanders would cut him a break, although he may let him obtain asylum somewhere closer without shooting the plane down.

6 Likes

Snowden shouldn’t even consider coming back to the U.S. There is zero chance that he would get a fair trial, and 100% chance that he would be tortured and kept in solitary confinement forever.

11 Likes

There are no ‘fair trials’ in the US for Truthbringers (I much prefer that expression to ‘whistle blowers’). Edward Snowden has done an immeasurable service to the American public, and beyond. He had the courage to do what had to be done.

13 Likes

Ed would return to the US if would be given a fair trial? Where in the US and by whom would Ed be given a fair trial? Absolutely in my view, NO CHANCE!

6 Likes

The most frustrating thing still about the tribulations of Edward Snowden is that all he did was tell us the truth. He lifted the vail, and let the public bare witness to the fact that every thing they do and say in their electronic communications is being monitored and recorded. And the American public reacted with a collective yawn.
That is why Snowden will never be able to return. He showed us the face of America, and we didn’t like it. Once again. We will kill the messenger because we didn’t like the message.

11 Likes

I haven’t even read the article yet. Without ANY reservations, I BEG Ed Snowden not to return to this country or any of its colonies or allies’ countries.

The USA government and lackey media are not to be trusted. Full stop.

It is too risky for him to be here. There’s no such thing as a fair trial. Full stop.

I want Ed to be safe and to continue helping us as much as he can stomach to do.

I can imagine he might miss home, friends and/or family, but his allies should be able to set up real visits or other ways to contact each other.

PLEASE, ED, DON’T COME HERE!!!

4 Likes

Why did Ed chose Russia for asylum? What information did he give the Russians in return for his life? Did he have anything to do with helping the Russians interfere in our elections? Is he now a Russian asset?

1 Like

It is unlikely that Germany will grant Snowden asylum because they fear the anger of the US government. Aside, he wouldn’t be safer there. Extraordinary rendition is practiced by the US at all times and places…

1 Like

“Motivations”:

3 Likes

If I could downvote your post 1,000,000 times, I would.

12 Likes

As with Julian Assange.

5 Likes

"Snowden would also be unable to talk about the consequences of his actions, including the fact “his leaks sparked more than two dozen bills in Congress, and half a dozen lawsuits, all designed to rein in unconstitutional surveillance.”

“He wouldn’t be allowed to explain how his leaks caught an official lying to Congress, that they’ve led to a White House review panel recommending forty-six reforms for U.S. intelligence agencies, or that they’ve led to an unprecedented review of government secrecy,”"

Tell this to the clueless morons at CBS that interviewed him. Snowden is probably doing interviews due to the release of his book, albeit a limited publicity tour. Anyone that wants his (read “the”) truth should read it.

4 Likes

A) I’m with Toni on this one.
B) He didn’t choose Russia. He was largely forced to go to Russia from Hong Kong because they were the closest power that would take him that we couldn’t really screw with. He applied with several nations while in Russia for asylum. The US threatened to take down any aircraft with him on it. So Putin granted him asylum in Russia.
C). He had nothing to give the Russians because, if you’ll recall, that was kinda the point of his leak was to give all his information to everyone via the press. After leaking that monster, it’s not like he anything left secret to give anyone.
D). The Russians interfered in “our elections” in the same way that when I fart, I contribute to global warming.
E). As a former intelligence dude myself, I can tell you, a blown whistleblower by definition can’t be much of an asset to anyone. An unemployable asset isn’t one, if you know what I mean.

6 Likes

They’re not about to give him a fair trial. If America was fair, Mr. Snowden would not have had to tell the truth. Where is Julian? Do you think the secret agencies water-boarded Julian, just for fun? America kidnapped General Manuel Noriega in his own palace in Panama City, Panama just before he could testify against Ray Gun during the Iran Contra trial. They sent in the Marines and snatched good ole Manny so none of these guys are held accountable because the press has been bought by the same corporations enriching themselves banking tax free war profits in foreign nations while demanding our allegiance only to be incessantly betrayed. NO. I do not think coming home is getting Snowden a fair trial. Lots of ex-patriots in Russia and Europe.

6 Likes

A la jamal koshoggi.

2 Likes

Hi Harry_Pjotr:
I agree, Snowden has brains and courage, and he did what real patriots do----show the dark underbelly of the government----real criminals, Bush, Cheney, Libby, and all the Reagan clowns like Abrams just walk free after all kinds of crimes.
However, after watching the CBS people and their accusing questions-----They acted more like the NON patriots. Oh well, CBS news-----they used to be amazing----but apparently the dark underbelly of government has grown tentacles and truth and justice are being strangled by so many, including amazingly enough, many in the FBI, the J
Justice dept., the CIA et al. 17 spy agencies, and I really wonder, can anybody trust any of them?
I suppose that nowadays the “Free Press,” is happy to go along with the government to keep their jobs, but it seems that in many ways journalism has been hobbled and looking for Truth is like hoping for Superman! : (

4 Likes

Hi pravda;
He didn’t choose Russia, he was stuck there by America. You need to read upon n the VIPs people and Bill Binney, who explain that Russia did not interfere with the elections. The elections are always interfered with by the heads of the GOP and the Dems-----there’s the real interference. : ) You could ask the Bernie people about that! : )
You might find answers if you could get Comey to explain why he didn’t ever look at the Hillary’s emails kept on her home computers, and you might also wonder how with all the spy people in America, not one of the 17 agencies knew about 9/11. Maybe spies have become a waste of money, as they seem as ineffective as some of the elected ones! : )

3 Likes

He revealed that the US government is little better than China or Russia, and maybe worse, because they are more deceitful.

2 Likes

Even if one takes all the unsubstantiated and disproven claims of ‘Russian’ hacking, social media disinformation, and extreme fakes as true, the influence of ‘Russia’ / ‘Putin’ is insignificant given the degree to which US plutocrats have weaponized money to attack democracy and manipulate elections.

4 Likes