Home | About | Donate

Scaramucci Has Anonymous Source Who Told Him Russians "Maybe Didn't" Hack 2016 Election (Okay, He Admits, It Was President Trump)

Scaramucci Has Anonymous Source Who Told Him Russians "Maybe Didn't" Hack 2016 Election (Okay, He Admits, It Was President Trump)

Common Dreams staff

In addition to other headline-generating statements over the weekend (here and here), President Donald Trump's new communications director Anthony Scaramucci also on Sunday claimed he had a source—but said "I won't tell you who"—who communicated to him that maybe it wasn't Russian government officials who meddled in last year's U.S.

To borrow a line from Hillary, " At this point, what difference does it make?"

Scaramucci said, in essence, nothing. Looks a lot like this dude was hired to throw some more confusion in the mix. A Wall Street man who raised funds for Obama and now works for Trump. They should get along very well.

Scaramucci ? This guy is good. He had the press absolutely eating out of his back pocket. The leading character in the Novel of the Putin/Trump regime. We have managed to elect the leader to the end of our charade we call Democracy. This kabuki we chose to do to ourselves with our flawed electoral system. 10.6 million more popular votes were for the other guys, yet we have a fascist regime in place that is dismantling any semblance of a rational Democracy… We may be on the verge of our Nazis moment. The opposition voices are so weak and timid that they can hardly be heard outside the echo chamber they have intentionally created for themselves and the few brave voices like Sanders and Warren get short and weak notice. The end of truth is being purchased by Fox.

article 2
Section 4
The President, Vice President and all Civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Maybe Trump is referring to the latest Memo to the President from the Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity.

A few important quotes from the Memo:

“After examining metadata from the “Guccifer 2.0” July 5, 2016 intrusion into the DNC server, independent cyber investigators have concluded that an insider copied DNC data onto an external storage device, and that “telltale signs” implicating Russia were then inserted.”

“Key among the findings of the independent forensic investigations is the conclusion that the DNC data was copied onto a storage device at a speed that far exceeds an Internet capability for a remote hack.”

"From the information available, we conclude that the same inside-DNC, copy/leak process was used at two different times, by two different entities, for two distinctly different purposes:

-(1) an inside leak to WikiLeaks before Julian Assange announced on June 12, 2017, that he had DNC documents and planned to publish them (which he did on July 22) – the presumed objective being to expose strong DNC bias toward the Clinton candidacy; and

-(2) a separate leak on July 5, 2016, to pre-emptively taint anything WikiLeaks might later publish by “showing” it came from a “Russian hack.”

Hey, anonymous independent cyber investigators! Entirely credible. So will these folks do more with their investigative results than send a memo to Trump? Do they “classify” the reports and the investigators? You know, because Hillary will probably get them shot.

Deal with the substance. Always attack the messenger. I’ll side with the integrity of the people who are part of the Veteran Intelligence Professionals over the lying blabber of Clapper, Comey, and MSNBC. What a silly reply, they could care less who reads their memos. As this brohaha continues people like you become more and more desperate, with you it is obvious. Russia gate is collapsing, Trump apperars guilty of violating the emoluments clause, but tool of Putin, that is sophmoric.

There is no substance. It’s a “memo” to Trump. Not any actual investigative report or substance. And it refers to still anonymous “cyber investigators”. All form, no substance. But it’s by former intelligence folks, so good enough for progressives.

The putin stuff is collapsing? Are you Kellyann Conway? I don’t have to believe any government source. I just have to believe DJT jr, Kushner, Flynn, Sessions, Manafort, and Trump himself as they change their stories and reveal more and more. The Trump group are tied more deeply to the putin oligarchy than to any American oligarch.

Nonsense. None of those you listed has given any evidence of collusion with Russia to interfere with the election. Manafort, whatever he was involved in involved his business dealings representing candidates for office in Ukraine. Flynn, what did he say, he talked to the Russuan Ambassador, what did he say, and besides it is appropriate for incomming administrations to do such. Examples are rife, Reagan interfered with the Iran Hostage release before taking office, NIxon convinced the South Vietnamese not to agree to anything in Paris, and the list goes on and on. I still think you haven’t read the report, at least you haven’t linked to it from this site because nobocdy has. Isn’t that special, the McCarthite tactic of accusing someone of being a hated operative, in this case Kellyann Conway. It is embarrassing to have such tactics used on a liberal site such as this. You continue making substanceless posts.

[quote=“lerenarde, post:4, topic:43481”]   “Scaramucci? This guy is good. He had the press absolutely eating out of his back pocket. The leading character in the Novel of the Putin/Trump regime. We have managed to elect the leader to the end of our charade we call Democracy. This kabuki we chose to do to ourselves with our flawed electoral system. 10.6 million more popular votes were for the other guys, yet we have a fascist regime in place that is dismantling any semblance of a rational Democracy . . . We may be on the verge of our Nazis moment.” [/quote]

“What you mean-um ‘MAY’, Kemo Sabé?”  And while we’re at it, what you mean-um “verge”?   It seems to me that with a cast like Bannon, DeVos, Pence, Sessions et al – and now s’Moochie – Tweetle-Dumb has us well on our way into establishing the Fourth Reich.

Except for meeting with Russians identified as speaking for the Russian government and promising assistance to Trumps election, “I love it”. Except for meetings with the Russian ambassador discussing the election and relief from sanctions. Except for email hacking targeting only the DNC (something enthusiastically approved by Trump and posters here). Nothing at all. Your account of the innocent Trump gang meeting the innocent Putin is difficult to accept as naivety alone. You have read the actual report? I will certainly do some checking, but I think you are referring to the “memo”, not the report.

I do think all this comes down to business for the Trumps, manafort, etc. Isnt that what everything comes down to for those folks? Including Putin. Putin has been financing the Trump org for years.

Discussing sanctions with the Russian Ambassador doen’t mean there was any quid quo pro. Give a citation for the statement: “Putin has been financing the Trump org for years.” Whatever business dealings Trump or anyone else had or have in Russia should be judged on their merits, if any, and not conflated with a bogus accusation of treason. Thousands of Americans have been doing business in Russia since the fall of the USSR.

CMy citation is Donald Trump Jr. for financing from Russia. Kushner meeting Russian head of a bank sanctioned for money laundering on behalf of Putins oligarchy. (I mistyped the word as oiligachy. Should have left it). Sessions? He lied about meeting Kislyak and how many times, as well as the substance. Flynn also lied about his Russia contacts, and the content of those contacts. Including lying to the FBI, which is a felony. He also attempted to conceal how much cash he himself received from Russia. All entirely innocent. Sometimes you just forget things.

I notice you didn’t address the “love it” point. Do thousands of Americans do that as well? If you think it is inappropriate to compare you to Conway, don’t
quote her so closely.

None of which is evidence of collusion with Russia to control the election. Nothing about what Flynn’s contacts were about, there is no there there as of the present. My gosh, Sessions, one of the most reactionary men to ever hold public office, a super flag waver if there ever was one, conspiring with the Ruskies–give me a break. I’m not quoting her, I’ve only seen her in passing, even a stopped clock is right twice a day. On another topic I am getting a computer notification that I have already replied to you 3 times and I"m told that is too much. Crazy.

Who said they controlled or even attempted to control the election? That is a leap, and not necessary to the point of collusion. I have looked at this memo, or report as you refer to it. It is filled with what is referred to legally as conclusory statements, not a presentation of actual facts. Good enough for you though.

“After examining metadata from the “Guccifer 2.0” July 5, 2016 intrusion into the DNC server, independent cyber investigators have concluded that an insider copied DNC data onto an external storage device, and that “telltale signs” implicating Russia were then inserted.”…VIPS.

These people are experts examining meta data. Unless you are an expert, actually seeing the meta data would do me no good, maybe you could understand it, if so enlighten us. Among those signing the memo were experts in the field including Skip Folden of IBM and William Binney a former expert with the NSA. So if this is what you mean by conclusions, yes conclusions by those capable of understanding the technical erudition required to make such judgments.

Conclusory. Not statements of fact. Who are these “experts” in whom you have such confidence? Are they more trustworthy because they no longer, they say, work for intelligence services? Where is the metadata? Where is data period? This is stuff you yourself would attack should it, say, favor Clinton. Or criticize Putin.

Mr. Binney is one, and I am not about to give a biography of those who signed the Memo. I find it hard to believe that anyone who has been following these issues is unfamiliar with many of the people listed. Furthermore, it makes no difference. Give me reasons why the facts in the memo are not true. The memo lists key findings of the experts who did the report, now dispute these facts by showing they are not valid, not the people, because the conclusions reached are based on the facts listed.

Here are a few of the facts determined by the investigator through forensic analysis.

“the DNC data was copied onto a storage device at a speed that far exceeds an Internet capability for a remote hack.”

“…copying and doctoring were performed on the East coast of the U.S. Thus far, mainstream media have ignored the findings of these independent studies [see here and here].”

“Independent analyst Skip Folden, a retired IBM Program Manager for Information Technology US, who examined the recent forensic findings, is a co-author of this Memorandum. He has drafted a more detailed technical report titled “Cyber-Forensic Investigation of ‘Russian Hack’ and Missing Intelligence Community Disclaimers,” and sent it to the offices of the Special Counsel and the Attorney General. VIPS member William Binney, a former Technical Director at the National Security Agency, and other senior NSA “alumni” in VIPS attest to the professionalism of the independent forensic findings.”