Home | About | Donate

'Sea of Red' as 40,000 Verizon Workers and Allies March Against Greed in New York

'Sea of Red' as 40,000 Verizon Workers and Allies March Against Greed in New York

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

Verizon workers were joined by city leaders in New York on Monday for the sixth continuous day of their labor strike, with a march that stretched from the Verizon building on West 36th Street to 42nd Street.

An estimated 40,000 workers, elected officials, and other allies marched through Manhattan in "a sea of red" as they called for Verizon executives to settle contract disputes that they say hold tens of thousands of livelihoods in the balance and expressed outrage over the company's plans to outsource labor to the Philippines, Mexico, and other developing countries.

Power to the people!

Right on!!!!

I believe union workers will defy their bosses that have "endorsed" Clinton and vote in droves for the Real Deal, Bernie Sanders tomorrow! 40,000 Verizon strikers are in the streets for justice - tomorrow will see tens of thousands voting for real change. The corruption that has our republic and people by the economic throat will be brought down! The Democratic Party establishment hacks and nay-sayers supporting more of the same lies and corruption, war-mongering and corporate/banker/Wall Street usury and greed will be swept away.........

How about "Power of the People." If one million, or more, of us "people" turned in our Verizon phones and cancelled our contracts, we would be the force that gains the Verizon Workers the contract they are striking to achieve. We would also be showing Bernie Sanders that we will be standing with him on his arrival in Washington, DC, as our next President. If a million of us do this we are on our way to speaking truth to power and taking our government back and starting a new nation representing peace, Truth and human dignity. Let's do it. Let's start a turn in your phone movement.

But in this case, the bosses of their union - the CWA - endorsed Sanders.

Yeah, I hoped I made it clear by a separation it was other unions leaders/bosses that endorsed the red Queen without real rank & file support I was referring to - maybe I didn't get it right.....thanks Yunzer.....

i was at the second-stage WA caucus yesterday (first caucus was precinct, this one is state congressional district, next ones are county party and then state convention and it's ridiculously complicated but..) and there were some folks wearing "AFSCME for Clinton" t-shirts.

My housemate is in AFSCME, and i know the Union's "endorsement" of Clinton was NOT after a rank-and-file vote, but was a backroom deal between party "leaders" and the Clinton campaign.

The resources, the machinery, and the t-shirts are working down the channels, and do affect some voters.

But my housemate, and many other Union sisters and brothers, despise Clinton.

I like the turn in your phone movement, by voting and not buying the products of the large corporate powers is the power we have as the people to make change! I will be changing my phone plan as soon as I can..

Verizon, AT&T, & T-Mobile donate money to Republicans including Tea Party candidates. The people should turn in their phones. Credo Mobile donates money to Democrats. I don't know where they stand on the candidates.

Back in the late 1970s and the 1980s, it was middle class workers who railed against unions. Incredibly, their main complaints were about union dues and the (corporate-driven) perception that unions were somehow "leftist" organizations. In fact, as members began sliding into that era of apathy and non-involvement of the 1980s, we see that the problems were the result of union leadership that moved too far to the right, essentially selling out to the corporate bosses.

What Sen. Sanders has been talking about for years is restoring the decision-making role of ordinary workers, regardless of wage level. As our own history shows, while it's extremely important to have a president who stands on your side, people will have to fight for it. If you want it, it's yours -- but only if you can pull enough people together to take a stand and restore workers' rights again.

That's a very big "if" today because there is nothing to fall back on. We chose to get rid of the "safety net," so exercising one's rights as workers can be a big risk. Not everyone can take that risk -- especially if they have children. But the rest of us need to find the courage to unite, stand up, and push back.

Thanks for your response. I am out of the country 'til 5-3 and will turn mine in as soon as I get home. Will work on others to do same.