Home | About | Donate

Second 1000-Year Flood in Two Years Slams into Historic Maryland City

Second 1000-Year Flood in Two Years Slams into Historic Maryland City

Common Dreams staff

DEVELOPING...

A Maryland city was devastated late Sunday afternoon after 6-inches of heavy rain caused a downtown flash flood.

Ellicott City was still recovering from a flash flood two years ago that forced the historic city to rebuild much of its Main Street. Residents said Sunday’s flood seemed even worse than the storm in July 2016 -- which was called an extremely rare, once every 1000 years event.

An emergency warning was issued by the National Weather Service at 4:40 p.m.

4 Likes

Wow! The Chinese sure now how to set up a convincing hoax. Almost looks real, eh, Donald?

19 Likes

It’s all done with Photoshop and Facebook algorithms.

3 Likes

Here is what you need to do. Go shopping and have more kids! Kayaks are on sale at Wal Mart!

FUN!

7 Likes

The kids are not the problem, your fucking cars, your air conditioning, and your 5K sq ft houses are the problem.

3 Likes

That is a natalist response. And who exactly buys all these products all over the world?

1 Like

You post links to massive disasters and predictions for worse, and you also think people should have more children.

And I am the one who is psycho?

Well okay then. You should definitely get out there and create more people! You can explain to your children, who will be starving in a refugee camp, that you were waiting for everyone to stop using fossils fuels before using birth control.

1 Like

Oh and Rainy, you do realize that you’re using fossil fuels to write your comments?

The problem with your argument is we have already bought the ticket and the train left the station long ago. Now you’re saying that it’s the fault of the train.

Whatever. We’re still on the train.

I am just saying that now is not a good time to pick up more passengers, since the train is heading over a cliff.

I agree with Yunzer, that cars are an abused technology and large homes use more energy and most are car-dependent. However, electric and hybrid PHEVs have terrific potential to minimize misuse. They offer a long list of benefits including an emergency backup power supply. I too put the over-population question much further down the list of grave concerns.

3 Likes

Well good, you can tell your starving children who’s town was just flooded, or burned, or destroyed by drought, or sunk under a rising sea, or lost in a war, that your car has eco friendly power system.

It will be such a comfort for them.

Oh and there are currently tens of millions of climate refugees, and the number grows by the hour.

But I am sure that won’t happen to you and your family, because of your car power supply

1 Like

Hillary Hillary Hillary! LOL! When all else fails, left right or center, bring up Hillary. I almost feel sorry for her.

You are a natalist. You ignore the evidence right in front of your face, including what you posted, and then say it’s okay to have more kids, because first we need to stop companies from using fossil fuels.

That’s just silly dude. You are obsessed with having children or you don’t care what happens to them. One or the other.

End fossil fuels, okay. But this train has already left the station. DUDE.

Would you rather I call you a child abuser? I thought natalist was being kind and precise.

Use this story as an example. You have a town that flooded massively two years ago.

There is really no news there. Since the 1980s scientists have predicted this. They were ignored. People had kids and went shopping. Businesses sold stuff to them. All was ignored.

In the past five years science has said that water vapor is going to be the most pressing issue, with massive changes in precipitation all over the world. Expect historic floods.

People had kids and went shopping. Businesses sold stuff to them.

So these people in Ellicott knew two years ago that climate change was now, not only real, but a pressing real time issue. But they rebuilt. They had kids. They went shopping. Businesses sold stuff to them.

But let’s review. THEY KNEW TWO YEARS AGO! Why on earth would someone have more kids knowing that this is what the world is going to look like from here on?

Natalist is putting it mildly my friend. This is neglect.

So if someone expresses an opinion you do not like they work for the Koch brothers. Rather easy way out don’t you think?

Dude. You can’t stop using all fossil fuels tomorrow. That would be good. I support that.

Doesn’t matter. This is what the world is going to look like from here on. We already put the carbon in the atmosphere. Read the science.

420 ppm is too much, and that is where we are.

Sorry to break the news. It’s awful. I hate it as much as the next person. It could have been prevented, but it wasn’t. So now it is what it is.

Now, look at the videos coming in from Ellicott and ask yourself, why would anyone look at that and think, “Oh I will ignore climate change and have more kids.” ? Your kids are going to get swept away in historic floods but that’s okay apparently because you think stopping fossil fuels is going to change what has already happened.

It’s bizarre. It is so easy to understand. The CARBON IS ALREADY IN THE ATMOSPHERE!

1 Like

The carbon is already in the atmosphere. Can we agree about that? It’s really there.

The population of the planet increases at three additional people PER SECOND on this planet.

Two plus two equals four.

Can we agree about these things?

Hijack it? That’s rich. Whenever someone points out the obvious we’re told that it’s Hillary, The Koch Brothers, Marx, whatever, but never the one thing that it is.

It’s the population!

It’s like some sort of cult. Commondreams posts one story after another showing the real time effects of climate change, that devastate entire communities.

RIght now, this second, I just read four other stories from around the world of similar ecological disasters caused by climate change.

And yet, people continue to have children. It’s a cult like mentality.

Those kids need resources. Resources are either running out, or will soon be very difficult to get, (if your town is under water, or failed because of drought, or burned, or some other disaster happened due to climate and habitat failure.)

The carbon is ALREADY IN THE ATMOSPHERE! Hello! Is there anyone out there who understands science?

What would you tell these kids from Ellicott? Oh don’t worry, we’re going to stop using fossil fuels someday. And I had you knowing this was going to happen. But don’t hate me, hate the Koch brothers, Hillary, and here, read Karl Marx. Oh and we have to move into a refugee camp.

Ooops sorry!

Those are fake news stories from a bogus web site that has no science behind it.

No peer review. No double blind studies. No science behind it. That “geoengineering” site is a fraud.

Show me the science. You can’t.

1 Like

But in fact they are no longer needed for wars. Drones fight wars. And then a squad of armed police pick up the details.

Also you are asking people to consider what use their children will be in this world BEFORE having them. Obviously you must be a shill for the Koch Brothers! LOL.