Home | About | Donate

Seeeking 'The End': From the Fall of Saigon to Our Fallen Empire

Seeeking 'The End': From the Fall of Saigon to Our Fallen Empire

Nick Turse

“It just started out as a simple goodbye song,” James Douglas Morrison told reporter Jerry Hopkins. “Probably just to a girl, but I could see how it could be goodbye to a kind of childhood... I think it's sufficiently complex and universal in its imagery that it could be almost anything you want it to be.”

As a Vietnam veteran, I can assure you that it's been very depressing to watch the U.S. government make the same mistakes in several other unnecessary wars since. At first I thought it was due to typical bureaucratic bungling, but then I realized what was really happening -- America was changing into a nation that depended on military aggression to sustain itself. That is, the wealthy and powerful elite had learned that war was an easy way to accumulate more wealth and control more territory, so that's what it did -- and is doing. And the past doesn't matter. When the U.S. gets defeated in one of these for-profit adventures such as Iraq or Afghanistan, the top 1 percent just pushes the "delete" button and the media establishment "forgets" all about that defeat, merely referring to it as an unfortunate little chapter in U.S. history. Then the establishment media begin repeating the neocon mantras for the next war -- the enemy is coming, the enemy is coming --and the process begins all over again. I am now convinced that none of this will change until the top 1 percent itself is replaced by a more moral and responsible political arrangement.

It turned out that the West wasn’t the best, that all those Pentagon computers and statistical analyses and bombs and artillery shells and napalm and tanks and airplanes and helicopters and rifles and Swift boats

In this list of weaponry, Turse has disclosed the real reason that America keeps making wars wherever it can.

The lesson learned by the MIC from Viet Nam is that military victory or defeat is irrelevant as long as combat maintains a high demand for the hardware of war and the weapons makers keep up their profit margins.

When will "The End" come for the death and destruction being wrought with American tools of war? When the manufacturers of those tools start losing money.

mcp

Nick, Madonna's new "Ghost Town" evokes the same message today:

Art is Truth over history --- even at the end of history ---- instead of Francis Fukuyama's happy-talk of "The End of History" being "free-market capitalist democracy" whatever the hell that imaginary unicorn was supposed to be.

The only thing at the end of history and 'globalization' is this Disguised Global Capitalist Empire, which merely 'poses' as our former country.

Vietnam was the beta test for Rel 1.0 of the America Global Empire (via force of arms, like traditional empires) --- but that didn't work out so well.

So the formula was adjusted to this new. improved, brighter, and whiter Dash to the current post PNAC, PNAC II on steroids, "Pentagon's New Map" of Disguised Global Capitalist Empire that rapes, pillages, and loots with a 'softer hand' on the controls via 'Humanitarian Intervention', R2P, and drones in the air vs. 'boots on the ground' to keep the domestic 'subjects' of the Empire from feeling any pain.

But since this is both the first and the last "truly Global Empire", and since it's employing the strongest 'big tool' that an Empire ever used in Capitalism, and with its perfected and Rel 2.0 dual-party Vichy-political facade of the interchangeable neocon 'R' Vichy party and the neoliberal-cons' 'D' Vichy party all the 'subjects' of this newest and totally unique in history Disguised Global Capitalist Empire 'abroad' and 'at home' as Hannah Arendt said of the Nazi Empire certainly won't be able to fit on any helicopter on the roof of the Saigon embassy.

"Empire abroad entails tyranny at home" H. Arendt

"The U.S. state is a key point of condensation for pressures from dominant groups around the world to resolve problems of global capitalism and to secure the legitimacy of the system overall. In this regard, “U.S.” imperialism refers to the use by transnational elites of the U.S. state apparatus to continue to attempt to expand, defend, and stabilize the global capitalist system. We are witness less to a “U.S.” imperialism per se than to a global capitalist imperialism. We face an EMPIRE of global capital, headquartered, for evident historical reasons, in Washington. [Caps substituted for italics in the original]

Robinson, William I. (2014-07-31). Global Capitalism and the Crisis of Humanity (p. 122). Cambridge University Press. Kindle Edition.

Yes, "the U.S. state apparatus" of the highly integrated, but well hidden, six-sectored; corporate, financial, militarist, media/propaganda/entertainment, extra-legal, and dual-party Vichy-political facade of this new 21st century Global Empire is having a boffo opening in US theaters of operation --- but the domestic 'subjects' in the nominal (and likely temporary) HQ and metropole of this Empire have no friggin idea they are captives of an Empire (even in the supposedly leftish, progressive-lite, and alt media community).

So as Mae West infamously said going up-stairs with the cowboy, "Hang-on this is going to be a bumpy ride" --- but with the Empire it's going to be our last ride or as Jim correctly sang, "The End" --- and as Redford's last film depicts, "All is Lost".

For the last 100 years the Amerikan MSM, News Empire; especially in terms of foreign Empire, has been a fairy tale. Vietnam was just the same ol same ol fascist propaganda. And the sad part is nothing has changed some 50 years later and if anything today, the fairy tale is even more egregious.

Nick Turse has written the definitive history of the Viet Nam War, "Kill Anything That Moves" and has written very evocative piece here. However, I would argue that the American empire that emerged after World War II is strong enough to sustain any number of defeats such as Viet Nam, Iraq and Afghanistan. Since Viet Nam, the U.S. has established a permanent presence in the Middle East and is expanding its reach in Africa. Russia has long since given up funding anti-US rebels in places like Nicaragua or Ethiopia. Moscow can barely maintain its present, shrunken borders against such minor states as Ukraine. China is a rising power but it's economy so linked with that of the US that it will be a long time before Beijing will want to risk a complete break. Global financial schemes and agreements like the TPP serve to bind smaller nations and punish recalcitrant ones, lessening at times the need for outright military actions.

Military defeats abroad will not end our wars. Only an enlightened, educated citizenry at home can make the decision to stop the killing and pull back all our fleets and armies. We have no choice but to trust what Eisenhower called "the good sense of the American people" to change the present disastrous course.

"It is an assessment of human nature and the twisted psychology wherein
violence and sexual domination and release are seen as
inescapably intertwined within human history."

As usual, the violence done by men is blanketed over ALL citizen-souls as if it's an equivalent in both genders. OBVIOUSLY women are not the ones doing the raping, or the ones guilty of sexual domination.

From there, without any examination of what patriarchy has meant and how its masculine dominance has shaped theories, political structures, legal rulings, and religious ideologies in wholly asymmetric ways is never discussed as part of the calculus.

Amy Goodman has 3 FEMALE Noble PEACE Prize winners on her program today. Most women care FAR more about food and family than building phallic weapons.

While a FEW females, enamored with power within a Patriarchal system may take up its aggressive ends, that speaks for a tiny fraction of what Femininity and Feminism are about. And they are mostly about a counterbalance to the male need to act in aggressive fashion.

I am so tired of the generalizations borne from white male experience and used as some kind of twisted yardstick for the whole of humanity. Within that whole are so many other approaches, aptitudes, behaviors, ideals, and beliefs.

YOU and your pals can't take that in. You argue FOR the dying paradigm.

Jim Morrison was a son of the Goddess, a male who was VERY connected with Mother Nature and this song about the End is his response to the desecration of the Earth.

There's a world of difference between stopping a Cancer before it grows, and tackling it once its lethal powers are fully in place.

President Eisenhower warned--back in l961--of the then GROWING powers of the Military Industrial Complex. These are now so full entrenched as to make war axiomatic and the moving of deadly inventory part of each year's mandatory national budget.

What's going to cause this Beast to cease and desist from its martial madness is likely to come from ecological blowback.

Imagine a quick set of volcanic explosions, a good shot of sunspot activity (sufficient to take down, or mess with "The Grid"), a succession of major earthquakes, and another U.S. Dust Bowl?

It will be THESE events that put a stop to the War Business as usual.

What have they done to the earth?
What have they done to our fair sister?
Ravaged and plundered and ripped her and bit her
Stuck her with knives in the side of the dawn
And tied her with fences and dragged her down
I hear a very gentle sound...

Jim Morrison

Madonna is and has always been a sellout with no talent except for self-promotion. The "Material Girl" was the poster girl for Reaganite America, even stooping to anti-choice claptrap ("Papa Don't Preach") to let everyone know she was with the retrograde masses. More recently she's let it be known that she firmly supports present-day Israel, which only a psychopath, cynic, or seriously self-deluded fool could do. And in this horrible video she sounds like the female voice of "The Carpenters." Pure dreck.

The empire is unchanged so is the emperor(s). The other problem of this country is the citizens of this nation. They live inside a cocoon. They don't know how they look like to the outside world and neither they want to know that, until now. At present only a few feels for the consequences of any military actions but they are outnumbered by the old fools and majority of them are basically illiterate and always fooled by the falsity of nationalism, terrorism; the earlier version was communism, that are now continuously preaching by the MSM. The entire nation is run by a handful of elites and they still live in the seventeenth century world or before. These folks don't understand the reality but the common citizens bear the brunt of their misadventures. On the other hand these elites don't lose anything neither money nor the lives. All military adventures are done from the pockets of tax-payers. Besides, weapons are the only commodity which our US can offer to the world for trade. So displaying their ferocity is a way to sale. It is awful. Anyway, the world is surely changing which is obvious. I believe that the rise of joblessness, homelessness now haunts this nation extremely bad. The number is severe among the minorities. All these would bring a qualitative change. Eventually these aristocrats have to swallow their false and stupid pride and relinquish the path of war. It may take few decades because old habits die hard but definitely it would happen.

Clovis, I know nothing of Madonna's background or ideology. I may well be misjudging where she's coming from ---- but I do like this song 'Ghost Town' and it struck me as being quite meaningful.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the song or maybe whoever did the lyrics is more on my wavelength?

I'll take your word for Madonna's background, Clovis.

Best to you and yours,
Alan

They're not mistakes. They are deliberate policy decisions.

mcp

Thanks, Alan. I didn't mean to be hard on you, but Madonna needs to be taken with an ocean of salt. Other "political" positions of hers include anti-Russian fearmongering, embracing those NED favorites, Pussy Riot, trashing Bolivarian Venezuela, and other similar positions based on MSM lies.