Home | About | Donate

Seeing Only Red: Turning the Threat of a New Cold War into a Global Struggle to Save Democracy

Seeing Only Red: Turning the Threat of a New Cold War into a Global Struggle to Save Democracy

Peter Bloom

After months of speculation and investigation, the US government has formally indicted 13 Russians with “election meddling”. While these indictments did not include suspected charges of Trump’s collusion, they did seem to validate ideas that Russia was guilty of directly undermining American democracy. According to one report,

Ah yes…the usual ‘It was them Russians what did it’. How people can still believe this Reds under the Beds rubbish is beyond me. It shows the true inability of Americans to actually use their brains.

Finally, a bit of honest, self-reflective, productive reporting on “Russiagate”!

From the article:

“A 37-page indictment produced by the team of Robert Mueller, the special counsel leading the investigation, gives the fullest ever account of alleged Russian interference. It describes how Russian agents created hundreds of social media accounts on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube to influence the election.”

Hundreds of social media accounts??? At the end of 2016, there were 1.86 BILLION Facebook accounts; there are 974 MILLION accounts on Twitter.

Of most concern to Americans should be that Trump has remained silent about the Russian interference with our elections. Since Obama left office there has been a vacuum in the White House on this threat. There have been suspicions that Trump is actually controlled by the Russian government, that they have something on him and are using it to control him. It still remains unclear whether there is anything to this but it hasn’t gone away. So can the US defend itself from what could be called a virtual war by Russia without leadership from the White House? Americans need to focus on own ability to survive as a country while Trump is president. He also has hoards of supporters eager to start a race war and any attempt to remove Trump from office could trigger widespread violence. This a new situation that Americans have had to deal with before. I don’t believe anyone who cares about protecting democracy in the US really knows exactly how to effectively deal with this situation of an external threat and internal threat both trying to undermine US democracy.

Hahahahaha. You people are so easily led by your propaganda. You’d think after the CIA produced ‘evidence’ that allowed the US to engineer a conflict that killed over 100000 Iraqis and left over 36000 Americans maimed or dead, that you’d question any spin that casts your eyes on a new ‘enemy’ instead of letting you realize what your own government is up to. Hello. Haven’t you seen this nonsense before?

By the way: you don’t have a “democracy”; even Princeton University recently published it’s report that you most certainly have an ‘Oligarchy’ ( look it up). You haven’t had a 'democracy for a very long time. Your ‘threat’ is your rich 1 percent and rampant unchecked capitalism. Sad that a public that supports over 900 military bases worldwide and a grotesquely bloated military budget in Washington’s Imperialistic ambitions on a scale the world has never seen before, are still so very much hoodwinked. You people deserve better. If you could only navigate through all f these devices designed to turn your attention away from what is really happening ( not to mention dividing the people). Trump is an ass; but this Russiagate thing is ridiculous.

I’d expect better from this site than the usual ‘Russiagate’ spin. Dig deeper.

Indeed. In a world of engineered wealth disparity, riven by multi-dimensional overlapping wars, rolling headlong towards global ecological catastrophes with species extinctions already happening daily by the dozens, the thing that should be of greatest concern to Americans struggling to get by in a rigged system that operates to exploit them is that Trump isn’t shooting his mouth off as much as he could be.

“Since Obama left office there has been a vacuum in the White House…”

You could have stopped there.

“…on this threat.”

The “threat” being that they could use dark money and hidden identities to possibly influence public opinion enough to shift the outcome from one vetted corporate warpig candidate to another vetted corporate warpig candidate–in much the same way other power elites and multi-nationals use dark money and hidden identities towards the same end.

“There have been suspicions that Trump is actually controlled by the Russian government, that they have something on him and are using it to control him.”

There have been suspicions that Hillary Clinton is a shape-shifting reptiloid alien.

“It still remains unclear whether there is anything to this but it hasn’t gone away.”

Ditto for Hillary’s alien status.

“So can the US defend itself from what could be called a virtual war by Russia without leadership from the White House?”

Virtual leadership should be sufficient. Where actual leadership would be helpful would be in countering the many ways the US, and the world, are under actual attack.

“Americans need to focus on own ability to survive as a country while Trump is president.”

Who knew that Russian operatives being able to buy ads and create dozens of fake social media accounts could pose an existential threat to the U.S.? We have to spend trillions of dollars to sustain the capacity to threaten the existence of other countries. If Russians really are that thrifty and ingenious, maybe they deserve to win.

“He also has hoards of supporters eager to start a race war and any attempt to remove Trump from office could trigger widespread violence.”

I think you are losing the Russian bogeyman thread here.

“This a new situation that Americans have had to deal with before.”

I couldn’t have said it more strangely myself.

“I don’t believe anyone who cares about protecting democracy in the US really knows exactly how to effectively deal with this situation of an external threat and internal threat both trying to undermine US democracy.”

I believe anyone who cares about protecting democracy in the US must be under the delusion that at some point we had real democracy in the US.

I’m going to go way out on a limb here and guess that you didn’t actually read the article.

I suspect you neither read this article nor understood the intent of my reply.

Oh please. This just more mindless drivel.

The USA openly BUDGETS for monies to be spent in Russia so as to influence that Countries elections and has done this for decades. Groups inside Russia receive monies directly from the USA.

A person who helped lead that initiative even commented and boasted on it in a NYT article where he suggested that because the USA was using monies to “promote democracy and freedom in Russia” it did not count as an attempt to interfere as the motivations were “good”.

Take this feigned outrage and shove it up your backside.

If this is an oligarchy it certainly is an incompetent one. It has failed to prevent numerous environmental regulations despite mounting all kinds of opposition. It is failing to prevent cities and states around the country from carrying out ambitions plans to get off fossil fuels, The oligarchy is doing a particularly bad job of controlling the Democratic Party which clearly is working to help the people to protect their health and the environment, provide them with health care coverage, and raise the minimum wage. Since the system seems to be working for many people, or would if it were not for the Republican Party, maybe it really is a democracy and the Princeton report you refer to got it wrong. What are they saying about this at Harvard, Yale, Brown, Dartmouth, Cornell, Columbia, and Penn? Do the other Ivies agree this Princeton report?

Here is another side to this madness that no one in the U.S. ever thinks about. From a Russian writer four years ago but still relevant today. Truly a dog gone shame.

Peace
Po

Great article, but it badly needs editing.

The Oligarchy isn’t omnipotent. Neither is God. Therein lies the hope for the biosphere including the humankind.

Peace.
ths,

“This should be the initial salvo in internationalist struggle to save all our democracies from the clutches of scheming global elites.”

More countries are saving democracy:

Only the most politically, sophomoric and naive believe the BS that Amerika is a democracy, by my definition which is: participation in political power. Amerika is like you state, an Oligarchy, of the 1% or less, that is backed and derives its political power from a military dictatorship. We the 99% have absolutely no political power, only the dog and pony show put on for us by the economic elite.