Home | About | Donate

'Seismic Shift' in World's Approach to Land Use, Wildlife, and Climate Action Needed to Avoid New 'Era of Pandemics,' Study Says

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/10/29/seismic-shift-worlds-approach-land-use-wildlife-and-climate-action-needed-avoid-new

4 Likes

According to this article animal populations have plunged 68% since 1970. So at this rate there soon won’t be any animals to interact WITH. Problem solved. (Sarcasm)

~https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/sep/10/humans-exploiting-and-destroying-nature-on-unprecedented-scale-report-aoe

4 Likes

“It’s human’s insatiable appetite for more, stupid!”

3 Likes

A more useful headline and study would acknowledge that a seismic shift in how humans rapidly destroy the biopshere and innocent animals is needed to slow down anthropogenic mass extinction so we at least have a few more decades before total dystopia and death.

2 Likes

Vandana Shiva has a new book out that addresses this very thing:

Oneness vs. The 1%: Shattering Illusions. I am presently reading an excerpt from it.

3 Likes

But we are animals too even if more than that.

2 Likes

I have a low opinion of humanity. We’re not “just” animals–we’re defective, hyper-specialized apes.

4 Likes

I think total dystopia is already here. The last few decades of humanity won’t be spent in comfort. It will be under the ever present boot of global fascism.

4 Likes

We could include forever wars, the impotus for ever more MIC invention and production.
No land purchases for high speed rail to ease the vehicle pollution.
We are endangering evermore wildlife for profit.
And little research and development for climate remediation.
But we can be sure Israel will get it’s annual military stipend.

2 Likes

A seismic shift? Come on, let’s say it aloud. We must end this foul economic system built upon growth, inequality, overconsumption, and wholesale dumping of pollutants into the natural world. We must bring the curtain down on neoliberalism.

4 Likes

Yes Giovanna. And as such we should be capable of better/comprehensive behaviour. I always adhere to the “animal planet” logo of “animals are better than humans.”

2 Likes

Newsflash: I t doesn’t make a difference if studies confirm anything. the people running everything believe what studies never confirmed and disbelieve everything that is predicated on empirical evidence. Examples: The right believes in a savior named Jesus, that he walked on water, rose up from the dead, they believe there was a town called Bethlehem at the supposed time of these events. None of that is corroborated with any empirical evidence. In fact recent studies show they even confused the mythical deity’s name over time.

On the other hand the same Q anon believers think climate is not changing, the coronavirus is a Chinese hoax, the overriding message of the Christian bible is that more greed is Gods greatest wish, and that caring for others is some sort of satanic deed and will result in the the vile perpetrator going straight to hell. They think the economy is booming, they never detected one lie from Trump, and they think that all problems in the world are the result of Muslims, Blacks, Mexican’s and women, (even the right wing women believe this).

No number of studies will save these vermin from, themselves, or the rest of us for that matter, from the right wing cult’s mindless superstitions and hostile tendencies. As for the rest of us, well…we don’t need the study, we already know.

4 Likes

Yeah. His real name was Brian.

1 Like

Well actually there was never a real name; there was never a savior who did any of this hogwash. There was a real myth however, they even screwed that up.

2 Likes

As we look at environmental causes, we also need to stop research into “gain of function” explorations for diseases that could be used for (illegal!) military purposes. Shut down the labs!

3 Likes

To them that means their job is only around 2/3 done.

Abso-effing-lutely!

And that Daszak creature is up to his eyeballs in just such bioweaponry research:
~https://www.organicconsumers.org/blog/covid-19-time-to-tell-the-truth
~https://www.organicconsumers.org/blog/covid-19-panic-mongering-faulty-math-and-shoddy-science

Nice of Common Dreams to pass along such a copy-paste excuse for journalism.

I agree. My dog has her nose, which never lies. And we have our lying eyes and our misinterpreting brain.

I knew that, but even so, when I watched my daughter play an evil character in a soap-inspired improv series, I thought, “But I didn’t raise you to be that way!” And I’m sitting there thinking, hey, it’s theater! But also feeling like it’s real and I’m a terrible Mother for raising her to behave like this. So now I understand how people can get TV character (or movie, like Reagan and Schwarzenegger) confused with real life. It’s just that I expect people to realize this and stop it, letting slow thinking (Kahneman Thinking Fast and Slow) take over. But, no, we’re too lazy. Doggone it!

2 Likes

For us that haven’t studied the animal population changes, the 68% number is shocking. Anything except mosquitoes would be greatly missed at that rate.
I would like to see the orange rat in the WH become extinct.

3 Likes

Plans to change land use patterns are sheer pie in the sky until the bottom line of human activities shifts from money to caring. Humankind needs to restore itself as a caring animal. Our first responsibility is to protect our home planet. Until this becomes the reason of our existence, the pies will remain in the sky, and no amount of hand-wringing will bring them down to Earth.

3 Likes