Home | About | Donate

Seizing Electoral Power, Women Demand 'Solutions as Complex as Our Existence'

Seizing Electoral Power, Women Demand 'Solutions as Complex as Our Existence'

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

More than 1,000 activists and organizers are gathering this week in Maryland to help advance a comprehensive economic agenda for women—one that calls for universal healthcare, affordable child and elder care, wholesale immigration and criminal justice reform, reproductive justice, and sensible gun control, among other things.

""With the first female major party candidate in history, women's issues and sexism have played a huge role in the presidential election so far this year. We simply cannot afford for Presidential debate moderators to continue ignoring the issues that are most important to American
women," explained UltraViolet co-founder Nita Chaudhary."

Sounds way too much like this woman is supporting HRC as she seems to be saying the can afford omitting 3rd party candidates by saying nothing about opening up the debate to include 3rd party candidates, including a woman, Jill Stien.

I'd be ready to sign the pledge for "We Won't Wait," but their Web site doesn't seem to be ready for those of us who can't be in Baltimore. I'm interested to know what their specific policy recommendations are, but for instance when I clicked on "Reproductive Rights" on the policy page, I got "Voting / Coming Soon." I'll keep checking, but there's not a lot to talk about with just topic headers.

The "WE Won't Wait" agenda sounds very much like every radical 60"s agenda.
I believe that the Hippies are still waiting.

How many affluent white women do you have?

Interesting that CD can report on this emerging group whose agenda is 100% supported by the Green Party, yet still no article covering the Green Party campaign or its presidential candidate.

What no one talks about is the degree to which women, themselves, are deeply divided, pitted against each other by class and race. Middle class women have as much contempt for the poor as middle class men, and white women in poverty are additionally marginalized by the now-classic, "...especially people of color" (the majority of US poor are white/women).

And no, the wider public can't grasp the extraordinary complications that low-income and poor mothers deal with.

And how many affluent women of color?

Did you know that the majority of US poor are women/white?

I'm having difficulty finding that statistic in either the Institute for Study of Poverty or the Census Bureau's PDF. Can you give me a source?