Home | About | Donate

Selling Out Democracy: Trump’s Dangerous Market Politics

Selling Out Democracy: Trump’s Dangerous Market Politics

Peter Bloom

Defying almost all political predictions, Donald Trump has officially become the Republican nominee for President. His acceptance speech was filled with the type of empty promises and trademark arrogance that has made him both despised and troubling appealing to many. Without a hint of satire, this silver spooned tycoon proclaimed to politically disenfranchised and economic depressed Americans “I am your voice.”

We don't have to support the selling out of American so-called democracy.
We have an option available to us to avoid giving sanction to either of the sellout candidates, Trump & Clinton.
Vote Dr Jill Stein
Hey Bloom, why don't you write about that? Or are you just another sellout pundit to the duopoly?

Dems/Repubs have themselves to blame for the rise of Trump. Let it roll. I'll be voting for Jill Stein in the hope that a third party, which is so urgently needed in this country, may flourish.

Stein is not going to be the next president.

"For his own personal profit, he is wiling to bankrupt the nation and sell-out its democracy in the process" Agree, and I look forward to reading these same words after Clinton's acceptance speech.

What democracy? Trump and Clinton are both products of a full blown oligarchy tipping into fascism. The question is which fascist do you prefer?

From Day One the Constitution has elevated property over people. Too many humans have suffered huge oppressions and still do in this so-called "democracy", and the sooner we understand that we can't vote ourselves out of this mess, the better.

It required rebellion to force the Bill of Rights into the Constitution and it required rebellion, in the form of social movements demanding amendment, to force people of color and women into the definition of people whom the Constitution protects. It's going to take a social movement to force democratic elements into the Constitution that preserve and expand the people's sovereignty.

Sanders can be thanked for getting folks to envision a better future and lighting the fuse of self-empowerment among many, many people. Will his campaign ignite that social movement? Considering that the probable next president will be one of the aforementioned fascists, it's only a matter of time before we see if USAmericans have become so indifferent or brainwashed that we fail to rise up like our counterparts all over the world.

Great Britain isn't our problem this time around, but this nation is in revolution. Corporations and the elite are stealing it out from underneath us--and I do mean all of us--through a veneer of democracy and the spectacle of elections.

Vote in this election of foregone conclusions, but the real power of the people will only be demonstrated through resistance and organizing in the streets of our communities and in the halls of power, not in the corporate-owned ballot box.

And finally, the Democrats deserve to lose. It is the height of insolence to turn what would have likely been the biggest voter turn-out in any presidential election into the smallest. They have virtually cut off their nose to spite their face. I'm amazed at the number of people who tell me they aren't going to vote at all or will vote third party. Talk about throwing away a winning hand. I advised my husband that if he he wants to win, he should only play poker with Democrats.

Nothing spells selling out democracy better the TPP.

And neither is the right wing war mongering Wall Street troll Hillary Clinton.

Property was elevated above people from day one because those that had all the property at the time had either stolen it, had it granted by the crown or had labeled humans as property and bought them on the auction block.

They wanted to protect their ill gotten gains just as they do today

This election is between two factions of the oligarchic ruling class: the Wall Street neoliberal Clintonites, who need neocon US-NATO power to protect their interests overseas; and Trump’s isolationist conservatives, who want to restore the American economy to the pre-globalization era. Of the two, the Clintonites are by far the greater danger to world peace because “Full Spectrum Dominance” is not a viable policy in an era that has seen two other nations – Russia and China – achieve superpower status. The joint neoliberal-neocon agenda will only lead to more regime change wars, and eventually to a confrontation with Russia and China. The real reason the establishment doesn't want Trump is because he's opposed to neocon regime change wars and Full Spectrum Dominance. Think of all the profits and power that will be lost if we gave up these wars!

Trump, in contrast, intends to scale-down NATO, stop regime change wars, and repair relations with Russia and China. For this, he has brought the entire Washington establishment down on his head. They are focusing on his racist rhetoric to divert attention from his anti-neocon foreign policy proposals. Yet, charges of racism can hardly be a convincing argument coming from the establishment, given that Obama’s and Clinton’s policies throughout the Middle East are “racism in action” and seem to go unchallenged by the same people so up-in-arms against Trump’s rhetoric. The foolish liberals and progressives who also ignore Obama’s and Clinton’s racist actions and focus on the low-hanging fruit that Trump’s racist rhetoric actually is, have been suckered by the establishment into condemning the only anti-neocon candidate running. They have been so blinded by the media’s hysterical propaganda that they cannot even see, much less use, the talking points in Trump’s anti-neocon proposals. By not seeing through this media-orchestrated cover-up, the left will be complicit in future neocon wars. The stupidity on the right is more than matched by the ignorance on the left.

Very astute observation, Mr. Bloom:

"In this spirit, he has translated the fear central to mass consumption to the political arena. Marketers rely on creating anxieties in consumers that only their product can alleviate. If you don’t use this face cream you will never find love, if you don’t use this laundry detergent people will hate you, if you don’t buy this new updated phone then history will leave you behind. Trump preys on the same base capitalist instinct – if he isn’t elected then the country will be lost to civil disorder and its eventual ruin. Only his victory can save the country from such an ominous fate."

To prove how utterly convincing the above is--for some--check out Amy Goodman's "Democracy Now" broadcast today as a Muslim Republican (talk about oxymorons) argues FOR Trump!

Thank you for this, Mr. Bloom. It so closely mirrors a debate I had many moons ago with a Capricorn (establishment, pro-business) woman who wrote the music reviews for all of Key West's newspapers. Her stand was that IF a record sold, it was (axiomatically) good music. My counterpoint was that what sold could never be taken as the measure of quality in music or anything else.

The triumph of consumer conditioned capitalism over truth, objectivity, genuine quality, and all other qualitative determinations... demarcated here:

It doesn’t matter if Coke really tastes better than Pepsi or if Levi fits better than Wrangler. Their success if entirely premised on how they sell – how much bigger their consumer market is than their rivals. Trump also uses this market metric to defend his own positions. His racism and scaremongering is fully justifiable, in his mind, as long as his ratings remain high. Policy details and clear ideological principles are for “losers” who fail to aggressively respond to a rapidly changing political marketplace.

"Considering that the probable next president will be one of the aforementioned fascists, it's only a matter of time before we see if USAmericans have become so indifferent or brainwashed that we fail to rise up like our counterparts all over the world."

And considering your own quote, since fascism by necessity involves the commandeering of LOTS of domestic soldiers (a/k/a soldiers at arms) is it that people become indifferent or that they RIGHTLY fear the jackbooted, armed maniacs ready to knock down their doors if they don't obey the dictates of the fascist overlords?

That's the thing about fascism, you know. It's armed and dangerous... how else to FORCE people into compliance.

When someone holds a gun to my head, it's not indifference that might motivate me to show docility.

I am so tired of posters placing the onus on citizens for the trespasses of those that DO violence against them--through their words, deeds, financial system, inverted religious rhetoric, AND via armed enforcement!

You conveniently place aside:

1. Anti war protests leading up to the assault upon Iraq
  2. Black Lives matter protests
  3. Raising the minimum wage protests
  4. Stopping the fracking companies protests
  5. Bill McKibben's climate event (350.org) and 300,000 assembled in NYC
  6. The Dreamers' protests
  7. The Occupy Wall St protests that occurred in many major U.S. urban centers

That's the thing about the "blame voters/the People" squad.. they NEVER mention all the ways that people do organize, and have fought back.

All they reinforce is this idea that Power must be unopposed given its dominant status.

That's the logic of the overlord as well as that of Divine Right of King.

Yesterday on Democracy Now, Amy Goodman interviewed a very intelligent person who explained that to get around the Greed Issue and try to sound populist, the Evangelicals who are supporting Trump now espouse (I kid you not) a version of Biblical Capitalism.

You can't make this crap up!

They are comparing Trump to King Solomon who "was not a godly man, but was chosen by God to be His tool."

Delusion that runs this deep has NO cure. If 30 million out of 300 million vote for Trump, it's clear that the disease only impact 10% of the population.

Phew!

Some of the points you make are valid.

However, on a Progressive site I find it troubling to see those who would attempt to make the case FOR Trump.

If it doesn't chill you to the bone to see a charismatic man encouraging White Racism, and his cronies pushing for yet more "law and order" here inside the Homeland, then you're not paying attention.

I agree that the Neocons (of which Hillary appears to be an abiding member) are a danger to global peace and prone to agitating for World War III.

Still, one who sees the dangers in the neocons along with that of corporate capitalism (particularly of the sort that denies the already significant threats imposed by climate chaos) ought to make the LOUDEST case for Jill Stein.

Instead, you leverage Hillary's sins in a way intended to make Trump look good.

Scary stance, sister. Too bad you didn't live in Goebbel's era... he would surely have had a place for you at the table.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I' didn't blame any voters for anything, and who could seeing what the two major parties offer up. I participated in all the protests you mentioned and am still organizing with some of those organizations because it is what I'm speaking to--organizing within a social movement. And it will be a lot less bloody if it's accomplished before full blown fascism sets in.

You relentlessly point out the brainwashng (propagandizing) of citizens through multiple institutions. And there's a lot of indifference to the poor and communities of color, or they wouldn't be out in the streets trying to get folks attention in the first place. I'm obviously not referring to those good people who are doing the heavy lifting right now (and they are a small percentage of those with capacity to donate time and money), I'm talking about the majority who have capacity and are either brainwashed or indifferent.

What's going on in the Black and undocumented communities is pretty close to fascism as it is. And they are rising up despite the threat of state violence. Are enough of We the People, going to rise up like our counterparts are doing here and globally, or are too many people going to cling to the fantasy that we the people can vote ourselves out of this mess, until fascism becomes the American way of life for white folks too?

Whether Trump is "selling-out democracy" is open to debate - the selling out of democracy (and criminal actions) by the Dem establishment, DLC/DNC and Clinton camp is not in dispute. Trump is many despicable things I don't have to list, we have seen all such displayed endlessly on the network carnival propaganda shows.
The more important issue, IMO, and focus should be the corruption of the Dem contender, "Slick Hilly" and her record of terrible judgment, servitude to banker/corporate/big-money interests that is a continuation of the same MO from "Slick Willie" and the "Great Progressive Fraud" Barack Obama.
With candidates like these our entire politics is shown to be a fraud, and our collective future put in serious jeopardy......

> They have been so blinded by the media’s hysterical propaganda that they cannot even see, much less use, the talking points in Trump’s anti-neocon proposals.

I've made many posts detailing Clinton's Neocon driven policies in regard to her actions as a Senator, and subsequent actions as Secretary of State. How she has – while engaging in such Neocon driven policies such as the Iraq War, regime change in Libya, and driving military intervention in Syria – engaged directly and indirectly in war crimes, including acts of torture, and how she also has engaged in actions to cover up those war crimes including torture. I've also argued in posts, how a Clinton presidency is likely to further engage those policies of regime change, of challenging Iran ultimately militarily as is in the Neocon PNAC playbook, and how the Neocon driven policies of NATO, including orchestration of the coup in Ukraine (Nuland, et al) and subsequent actions of NATO relative to obvious containment moves, at the very least, against Russia/Putin, are driving a dangerous confrontation that could lead to nuclear war.

That said, since we apparently are both concerned with Neocons, and those in the political realm spouting their interests, I just wanted you to be clear on Trump, so you can better formulate your arguments.

Anyway......let's focus on what "the only anti-neocon candidate running" said at AIPAC.

And for the record, I have published on CD the entire speech of Clinton on AIPAC as well, just to be fair. To Trump's credit, he didn't attack BDS as Clinton did.

Trump at AIPAC…the entire speech, in full context…(emphasis mine)

I speak to you today as a lifelong supporter and true friend of Israel.

I am a newcomer to politics, but not to backing the Jewish state.

In 2001, weeks after the attacks on New York City and on Washington and, frankly, the attacks on all of us, attacks that perpetrated and they were perpetrated by the Islamic fundamentalists, Mayor Rudy Giuliani visited Israel to show solidarity with terror victims.

I sent my plane because I backed the mission for Israel 100 percent.

In spring of 2004 at the height of the violence in the Gaza Strip, I was the grand marshal of the 40th Salute to Israel Parade, the largest-single gathering in support of the Jewish state.

It was a very dangerous time for Israel and frankly for anyone supporting Israel. Many people turned down this honor. I did not. I took the risk and I’m glad I did.

But I didn’t come here tonight to pander to you about Israel. That’s what politicians do: all talk, no action. Believe me.

I came here to speak to you about where I stand on the future of American relations with our strategic ally, our unbreakable friendship and our cultural brother, the only democracy in the Middle East, the state of Israel.

Thank you.

My number-one priority is to dismantle the disastrous deal with Iran.

Thank you. Thank you.

I have been in business a long time. I know deal-making. And let me tell you, this deal is catastrophic for America, for Israel and for the whole of the Middle East.

The problem here is fundamental. We’ve rewarded the world’s leading state sponsor of terror with $150 billion, and we received absolutely nothing in return.

I’ve studied this issue in great detail, I would say actually greater by far than anybody else.

Believe me. Oh, believe me. And it’s a bad deal.

The biggest concern with the deal is not necessarily that Iran is going to violate it because already, you know, as you know, it has, the bigger problem is that they can keep the terms and still get the bomb by simply running out the clock. And of course, they’ll keep the billions and billions of dollars that we so stupidly and foolishly gave them.

The deal doesn’t even require Iran to dismantle its military nuclear capability. Yes, it places limits on its military nuclear program for only a certain number of years, but when those restrictions expire, Iran will have an industrial-sized, military nuclear capability ready to go and with zero provision for delay, no matter how bad Iran’s behavior is. Terrible, terrible situation that we are all placed in and especially Israel.

When I’m president, I will adopt a strategy that focuses on three things when it comes to Iran. First, we will stand up to Iran’s aggressive push to destabilize and dominate the region.

Iran is a very big problem and will continue to be. But if I’m not elected president, I know how to deal with trouble. And believe me, that’s why I’m going to be elected president, folks.

And we are leading in every poll. Remember that, please.

Iran is a problem in Iraq, a problem in Syria, a problem in Lebanon, a problem in Yemen and will be a very, very major problem for Saudi Arabia. Literally every day, Iran provides more and better weapons to support their puppet states. Hezbollah, Lebanon received — and I’ll tell you what, it has received sophisticated anti-ship weapons, anti-aircraft weapons and GPS systems and rockets like very few people anywhere in the world and certainly very few countries have. Now they’re in Syria trying to establish another front against Israel from the Syrian side of the Golan Heights.

In Gaza, Iran is supporting Hamas and Islamic jihad.

And in the West Bank, they’re openly offering Palestinians $7,000 per terror attack and $30,000 for every Palestinian terrorist’s home that’s been destroyed. A deplorable, deplorable situation.

Iran is financing military forces throughout the Middle East and it’s absolutely incredible that we handed them over $150 billion to do even more toward the many horrible acts of terror.

Secondly, we will totally dismantle Iran’s global terror network which is big and powerful, but not powerful like us.

Iran has seeded terror groups all over the world. During the last five years, Iran has perpetuated terror attacks in 25 different countries on five continents. They’ve got terror cells everywhere, including in the Western Hemisphere, very close to home.

Iran is the biggest sponsor of terrorism around the world. And we will work to dismantle that reach, believe me, believe me.

Third, at the very least, we must enforce the terms of the previous deal to hold Iran totally accountable. And we will enforce it like you’ve never seen a contract enforced before, folks, believe me.

Iran has already, since the deal is in place, test-fired ballistic missiles three times. Those ballistic missiles, with a range of 1,250 miles, were designed to intimidate not only Israel, which is only 600 miles away, but also intended to frighten Europe and someday maybe hit even the United States. And we’re not going to let that happen. We’re not letting it happen. And we’re not letting it happen to Israel, believe me.

Thank you. Thank you.

Do you want to hear something really shocking? As many of the great people in this room know, painted on those missiles in both Hebrew and Farsi were the words “Israel must be wiped off the face of the earth.” You can forget that.

What kind of demented minds write that in Hebrew?

And here’s another. You talk about twisted. Here’s another twisted part. Testing these missiles does not even violate the horrible deal that we’ve made. The deal is silent on test missiles. But those tests do violate the United Nations Security Council resolutions.

The problem is no one has done anything about it. We will, we will. I promise, we will.

Thank you.

Which brings me to my next point, the utter weakness and incompetence of the United Nations.

The United Nations is not a friend of democracy, it’s not a friend to freedom, it’s not a friend even to the United States of America where, as you know, it has its home. And it surely is not a friend to Israel.

With President Obama in his final year — yea!

He may be the worst thing to ever happen to Israel, believe me, believe me. And you know it and you know it better than anybody.

So with the president in his final year, discussions have been swirling about an attempt to bring a Security Council resolution on terms of an eventual agreement between Israel and Palestine.

Let me be clear: An agreement imposed by the United Nations would be a total and complete disaster.

The United States must oppose this resolution and use the power of our veto, which I will use as president 100 percent.

When people ask why, it’s because that’s not how you make a deal. Deals are made when parties come together, they come to a table and they negotiate. Each side must give up something. It’s values. I mean, we have to do something where there’s value in exchange for something that it requires. That’s what a deal is. A deal is really something that when we impose it on Israel and Palestine, we bring together a group of people that come up with something.

That’s not going to happen with the United Nations. It will only further, very importantly, it will only further delegitimize Israel. It will be a catastrophe and a disaster for Israel. It’s not going to happen, folks.

And further, it would reward Palestinian terrorism because every day they’re stabbing Israelis and even Americans. Just last week, American Taylor Allen Force, a West Point grad, phenomenal young person who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, was murdered in the street by a knife-wielding Palestinian. You don’t reward behavior like that. You cannot do it.

There’s only one way you treat that kind of behavior. You have to confront it.

So it’s not up to the United Nations to really go with a solution. It’s really the parties that must negotiate a resolution themselves. They have no choice. They have to do it themselves or it will never hold up anyway. The United States can be useful as a facilitator of negotiations, but no one should be telling Israel that it must be and really that it must abide by some agreement made by others thousands of miles away that don’t even really know what’s happening to Israel, to anything in the area. It’s so preposterous, we’re not going to let that happen.

When I’m president, believe me, I will veto any attempt by the U.N. to impose its will on the Jewish state. It will be vetoed 100 percent.

You see, I know about deal-making. That’s what I do. I wrote “The Art of the Deal.”

One of the best-selling, all-time — and I mean, seriously, I’m saying one of because I’ll be criticized when I say “the” so I’m going to be very diplomatic — one of…

I’ll be criticized. I think it is number one, but why take a chance?

One of the all-time best-selling books about deals and deal- making. To make a great deal, you need two willing participants. We know Israel is willing to deal. Israel has been trying.

That’s right. Israel has been trying to sit down at the negotiating table without preconditions for years. You had Camp David in 2000 where Prime Minister Barak made an incredible offer, maybe even too generous; Arafat rejected it.

In 2008, Prime Minister Olmert made an equally generous offer. The Palestinian Authority rejected it also.

Then John Kerry tried to come up with a framework and Abbas didn’t even respond, not even to the secretary of state of the United States of America. They didn’t even respond.

When I become president, the days of treating Israel like a second-class citizen will end on day one.

Thank you.

And when I say something, I mean it, I mean it.

I will meet with Prime Minister Netanyahu immediately. I have known him for many years and we’ll be able to work closely together to help bring stability and peace to Israel and to the entire region.

Meanwhile, every single day you have rampant incitement and children being taught to hate Israel and to hate the Jews. It has to stop.

When you live in a society where the firefighters are the heroes, little kids want to be firefighters. When you live in a society where athletes and movie stars are the heroes, little kids want to be athletes and movie stars.

In Palestinian society, the heroes are those who murder Jews. We can’t let this continue. We can’t let this happen any longer.

You cannot achieve peace if terrorists are treated as martyrs. Glorifying terrorists is a tremendous barrier to peace. It is a horrible, horrible way to think. It’s a barrier that can’t be broken. That will end and it’ll end soon, believe me.

In Palestinian textbooks and mosques, you’ve got a culture of hatred that has been fomenting there for years. And if we want to achieve peace, they’ve got to go out and they’ve got to start this educational process. They have to end education of hatred. They have to end it and now.

There is no moral equivalency. Israel does not name public squares after terrorists. Israel does not pay its children to stab random Palestinians.

You see, what President Obama gets wrong about deal-making is that he constantly applies pressure to our friends and rewards our enemies.

And you see that happening all the time, that pattern practiced by the president and his administration, including former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who is a total disaster, by the way.

She and President Obama have treated Israel very, very badly.

But it’s repeated itself over and over again and has done nothing (to) embolden those who hate America. We saw that with releasing the $150 billion to Iran in the hope that they would magically join the world community. It didn’t happen.

President Obama thinks that applying pressure to Israel will force the issue. But it’s precisely the opposite that happens. Already half of the population of Palestine has been taken over by the Palestinian ISIS and Hamas, and the other half refuses to confront the first half, so it’s a very difficult situation that’s never going to get solved unless you have great leadership right here in the United States.

We’ll get it solved. One way or the other, we will get it solved.

But when the United States stands with Israel, the chances of peace really rise and rises exponentially. That’s what will happen when Donald Trump is president of the United States.

We will move the American embassy to the eternal capital of the Jewish people, Jerusalem.

And we will send a clear signal that there is no daylight between America and our most reliable ally, the state of Israel.

The Palestinians must come to the table knowing that the bond between the United States and Israel is absolutely, totally unbreakable.

They must come to the table willing and able to stop the terror being committed on a daily basis against Israel. They must do that.

And they must come to the table willing to accept that Israel is a Jewish state and it will forever exist as a Jewish state.

I love the people in this room. I love Israel. I love Israel. I’ve been with Israel so long in terms of I’ve received some of my greatest honors from Israel, my father before me, incredible. My daughter, Ivanka, is about to have a beautiful Jewish baby.

In fact, it could be happening right now, which would be very nice as far as I’m concerned.

So I want to thank you very much. This has been a truly great honor. Thank you, everybody. Thank you.

Thank you very much.

Also, before you go there, don't even try to accuse me of being a Clinton, or Democratic Establishment shill. I have hundreds of posts that would disprove such a smear.I have not once called for anyone to vote for Clinton as a vote against Trump. Not once.

But if you are going to argue that Trump is the "only anti-neocon candidate running" then I will gladly step forth with this disqualifying evidence, as to his statements, regarding the ME, Iran, and State of Israel relative to long standing Neocon rhetoric, actions, and stated goals.