Home | About | Donate

'Seminal Moment' as ICC Chief Prosecutor Seeks Probe of US War Crimes in Afghanistan

'Seminal Moment' as ICC Chief Prosecutor Seeks Probe of US War Crimes in Afghanistan

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

"Whatever the court decides about the role of U.S. forces, the people in Afghanistan who have suffered enormously for decades deserve the world's attention. More importantly, they deserve justice."

ICC chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda, seen here in 2012, said Friday she would be asking the court for authorization to begin an investigation into possible war crimes and crimes against humanity committed in Afghanistan. (Photo: Foundation Max van der Stoel/flickr/cc)

As illegal wars of aggression, ALL U.S. wars since World War II have been war crimes, in addition to the war crimes of using chemical and biological weapons in Korea (1950-53), in Vietnam, and in Iraq (depleted uranium), plus massacres of civilians and torturing prisoners.

“If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war [WW II] American president would have been hanged.” - Noam Chomsky

But the U.S. is the world’s bully, so it will be a miracle if any U.S. high-ranking official is ever prosecuted and convicted.

The Afghan “War” has been a crime against humanity since its inception. By-the-way, the US does not recognize the ICC, which specializes in going after leaders of small nations in Africa and the Balkans, rather than the big fish in D.C., London, Paris, Berlin, Tel Aviv, Russia, etc. Where there’s smoke…there’s mirrors.

The probe will last only as long as Fatou Bensouda avoids extrajudicial termination.

The fact that Cheney and his puppet , Shrub, are free is proof that ZERO will come of these investigations. Crime does pay if you are part of the Deep state.

The US and Pakistan directly and via the Taliban are the chief villain criminals who have committed many heinous war crimes and crimes against humanity in Afghanistan.

Bu the US soldiers are not in the US doesn’t that make them subject to ICC jurisdiction.

I don’t understand this comment at all. The ICC has jurisdiction over all nations that recognize it, no matter where they operate. The central problem s that the ICC does not have any jurisdiction over the U.S. because the U.S. has never recognized the ICC as a legitimate body, despite the fact that most of the rest of the world has,

So, a country can do whatever it wants simply because it doesn’t “recognize” the same rules and courts everyone else does? And somehow that’s OK? i’ll remember that next time I get a traffic ticket.

All war is crime, physical, psychological, economic, cyber…

The us is also guilty of crimes against peace as listed in the Nuremberg Principles set up after ww2.

1. Crimes against peace

2. Crimes against humanity

3. War crimes

The us is a rogue terrorist nation that appears guilty of all three.

Who gives a shit drag them in anyway at least symbolically to smear them before the all the people of the world.

If memory serves, soon after W became “president,” he removed the U.S. from participation in the ICC.

None of this is new to the world, but Trump who follows the Bush family carnage and the crimes of Reagan are all of the same cloth meaning democracy is a pretty word never respected by them. China owns the US deficit being exploded by the fat cats who know they better get it now before the US is both collapsed by debt and attacked as a criminal nation worldwide.

Nowhere did I say it was OK, but this is how the U.S. Empire works. The only laws it recognizes are brute force, lies and intimidation.

Sorry, it was meant as a general statement, not directed at you. My mistake. I just find it disturbing that the U.S. has a habit of rejecting efforts by the majority of the rest of the world to do good things, i.e., ban nukes; Paris climate agreement; etc.

Why begin just in Afghanistan. How about begin in 1990 Iraq to present day Iraq 2017. You Tube, Lucid Dreamer.

If a number of nations that are members of the ICC worked in unison they could pass laws stating that they will ONLY have trade and Diplomatic Relations with nations that are members of the ICC. Power in (and of) the USA is being seriously misused. Everybody everywhere knows it, but no country working alone is powerful enough to bring this rogue nation to justice. Solution? UNIONIZE!

One doesn’t need to believe in ‘Deep State’ conspiracies to recognize that political elites – not only Cheatin’ Cheney and the Lying Son-of-a-Bush but also their co-conspirators Rove & Rummy, torture-justifier John Yoo, and a long list of others – will never receive the justice they deserve.  And lesser criminals like Mnuchin and his Wall Street pals whose gambling with our money brought about the Bush Recession in 2008 have even less to worry about.  IMHO, all of them should be in prison – except for Bush, Cheney, Prince & Yoo, who should have been hanged for treason years ago – but you’re undoubtedly right in saying nothing will come of these tooth­less investigations.

The U.S. has only one motivation for it’s actions: Profit.

Through the large scale sales and proliferation of weaponry, through militarily engagements all over the globe to rob countrys of their valuable resources, while under the guise of helping to spread Democracy.