Home | About | Donate

Sen. Chris Murphy Slams GOP for Refusal to Stop Enabling 'the Slaughter of Yemeni Kids'

Sen. Chris Murphy Slams GOP for Refusal to Stop Enabling 'the Slaughter of Yemeni Kids'

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) on Wednesday denounced as "mind blowing" the decision to "continue to willingly participate in the slaughter of Yemeni kids" after Republicans objected to his amendment to the Defense Appropriation bill that would have put key restrictions on U.S. financial and othe support for the Saudi-led bombing campaign.

The Republicans objected.

Sen. Richard Shelby is a perfect example of why you should never put jet fighter pilots in positions of power. He, like Sen. Johnny " Jet Crasher " McCain, are rigid and unwavering in the support of endless wars. No matter the situation they just love to kill innocents to please their JCOS & Pentagon Brothers-in Arms. Sick and twisted logic doesn’t begin to describe this primitive crap.

2 Likes

The time is 7:23 PM, August 22, 2018, Thursday. I received an email this morning from “Win Without War” urging me to call Senators Ed Markey and Elizabeth Warren, to encourage and their votes in favor of a bill submitted by Senator Chris Murphy to restrain U.S. financial support for the Saudi and UAE bombing campaign in Yemen. I had to wait until now, 7 PM to make a call, but it’s too late. The Senate has already and quickly rejected the proposal. Which, based on the record, was foreseeable; so all I wanted to propose was that if that bill was encountering difficulties, the Senate should at least pass a resolution that declares it’s intention to begin a serious debate on the issue at some designated time in the future. And that public gesture would deter the Trump Administration from escalating the Yemen conflict as a distraction from its serious ethical, political and judicial problems. The next two to three months, August 22 through November 6, are a critical period since they precede the Congressional elections and are an invitation to such abuse. Precisely this point has been made on two similar posts to “the Hill” and “Disqus”, yesterday August 2o and 21. What else is there to declaw a man who refers to a witness against Richard Nixon in the Watergate Hearings as a ‘rat’. What else is there to move men in a Congress who are unmoved, indifferent to the murder of 40 children in Yemen; or for that matter, 25 children in Conneticut, Do you hear the drums, Fernando? The countdown has begun.

4 Likes

The War Machine Keeps Turning.

Big profits for rich white men, many in Congress.

1 Like

I know I’m a hard one to please.

But something stood out to me as I read this article. Maybe I’m wrong (I often am.)

The amendment Murphy wanted would have cut off funding for Saudi Arabia’s war “until the Secretary of Defense certified that the coalition’s air campaign is not violating international law and U.S. policy related to the protection of civilians.”

What does it mean for the SoD to certify something like that? Did the amendment contain a process and a definition? Or could Mad Dog Mattis just take a moment to dictate a certification saying, “I certify that the Saudi led coalition in the war against Yemen is not violating international law and U.S. policy relate to the protection of civilians,” have his secretary type it up, sign it, and then send it back to Congress?

So this sounds like a lot of sound and fury that didn’t mean anything anyway even if it had been passed.

But, boy, now the grass roots think the Democrats are trying, right?

Or am I totally wrong on this?

3 Likes

It’s just unthinkable to me that we continue to willingly participate in the slaughter of Yemeni kids when there is zero benefit to U.S. security. Mind blowing really.

Funny, Sen. Murphy can’t bring himself to say the same about Palestinian kids. Selective, aren’t we Senator?

5 Likes

Our government likes slaughtering brown people and kids especially. Such a rush of power,righteousness and erotic pleasure for them. How dare Murphy try to take away their joy. Of course the Dems were all for helping the Saudis kill Yemenis as well. Psychopaths and Sociopaths control the world. Where is that damn meteor…

1 Like

My impression also. CYA kabuki.

Meanwhile…

2 Likes

They don’t care about radicalizing a whole generation of youths, they probably endorse it so the the defense industry and Pentagon can continue the war machine and thievery of US taxpayers $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

1 Like

No, I don’t think you’re wrong. Headlines and short stories often leave out analysis of the issue. I do, however, think that the GOP senator’s priorities are typical of his ilk.

1 Like

Blowback is the bitch, in this case as well as in every country the USA bombs into “submission” ie Empire…

Screw the politics, phone calls, emails, and begging. Congress must rise up and vote to enforce the Wars Powers Act, and shut down all these undeclared and illegal wars and engagements. Period! Just STOP with equivocation. The Congress has not been doing it’s mandated job under the Constitution for over 40 years! Make these people pay at election time for not doing their damn job. Vote these asshats out of office if they do not bring forward and vote on the War Powers act NOW!!!

2 Likes

You read it right. This is just more theatrical politics before the November election. Now, if one congress critter (it only takes ONE) and exercises Congress mandated responsibility under the Constitution to enforce the War Powers Act. That will be the only way for the people to determine if these asshats are willing to actually do their job and STOP ALL war engagements that have NOT been declared by Congress.

2 Likes

If we can’t stop the bomb senders we have to stop the bomb makers.

1 Like

Jeez that is sickening…

Thanks for the link. It clearly shows what we are up against: amoral, profit-motivated, power hungry war mongers. Worst of all, what they speak is not what is in their dark poisoned hearts.

1 Like