Home | About | Donate

Sen. Sanders Medicare for All Act – The Time Has Come Today

Sen. Sanders Medicare for All Act – The Time Has Come Today

RoseAnn DeMoro

As the Chambers Brothers might put it, with the introduction of Sen. Sen. Bernie Sanders’ Medicare for All Act of 2017 the time has come today.

The dream of healthcare reformers for more than a century—and the incredible and unending work of nurses, especially National Nurses United members, to guarantee health care with comprehensive benefits and a single standard of quality care for everyone—is moving a huge step forward.

I remember seeing the Chambers Brothers in concert in the 60s! Fantastic! Thank you nurses, thank you Bernie and to all others who have advocated for this for years.

Contact Senator Sanders and/or your federal legislators.

FREE AMERICA

DIRECT DEMOCRACY

“People get ready, there’s a train a comin’”…one of my fav’s from the brothers!

When we stand together - really together - there is nothing we cannot accomplish!

Viva! to the nursing orgs who have been out front on this issue!

Agreed that 2009-2010 Democratic Party control of DC confirmed “that salvation will never, ever come from the Democratic Party”, however Sanders is an independent leading a charge creating critical mass that is essential to turn the tide, irrespective of how this issue ultimately moves in the direction we want to see it move.

Progress of the Progressives. From down with the ACA, to down with Medicare. Progressives only concern themselves with battles of slogans. (The 20% copay applies only to Part B).

Really??? Without progressives no change would happen - ever. Did you know that President Kennedy was a progressive, and how about FDR? Are you against unemployment insurance, medicare, public schools, a clean environment, fair wages, unions, vacations, sick time and so much more? Sure sounds that way.

Seriously? FDR and Kennedy were Progressives? Aside from the absurdity of that claim, making such an ahistorical defense of current Progressives is like trying to defend Trump by saying Lincoln was a Republican. LBJ was far more a progressive (in the true historical sense) than either FDR or JFK. But no ones perfect, except today’s Progressives, who can not take credit for any of the things you mention.

The latest debacle in California wasn’t even that long ago. There the party controls the government and still manages to not pass a bill. For a bunch of Democrats - most of whom have presidential aspirations - to claim they support universal care means slightly more than absolutely nothing.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dems-rush-endorse-single-payer-healthcare-california-sounds-warning-170224275.html

This is where the fight begins, not where it ends.

Actually the new Sanders’ proposal covers pretty much everything w/o any co-pays and deductibles, so it is real Single Payer insurance. The 4-year phase-in leaves too much of a chance to undermine the proposal, but it is immediate for the young and old. So the fight here is to preserve this proposal. Not to compromise it in any way. And get it passed!

SINGLE PAYER NOW!!!

I have written the following to MN laggard Sen. Amy “DoughGirl” Klobuchar:

IT’S TRULY DISTURBING THAT YOU HAVE NOT SIGNED ON TO SEN. SANDERS’ MEDICARE FOR ALL BILL YET. HERE ARE SOME OF THE MANY NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES THAT YOU RISK WITH THIS (IN)ACTION.

1. YOUR (RIDICULOUS) PRESIDENTIAL ASPIRATIONS WILL BE DASHED;
  2. YOU WILL FACE A SERIOUS CHALLENGE FROM AN ACTUAL DEMOCRAT IN THE PRIMARY;
  3. YOU WILL GO THE WAY OF YOUR PATHETIC MENTOR, HILLARY CLINTON.

THINK ABOUT IT - NOT TOO LONG. DO THE RIGHT THING. CLEARLY, YOU DON’T CARE ABOUT THE INTERESTS OF YOUR CONSTITUENTS, BUT SUPPORTING MEDICARE FOR ALL IS IN YOUR INTEREST. YOU CAN UNDERSTAND THAT MUCH.

Agreed. But there is a long way to go to create a decent standard of care. Got Medicare and it is a continual battle for any service from Blue Shield companion and drug policies. They deny every service and prescription. By doing this they frustrate people and decrease the amount they have to pay. Animals.

All I can say is that I’m a retired (retirarded?) senior who has had roughly $550/mo for Medicare deducted from my roughly $5,000/month pension for the last eleven years, during which time I have had quadruple bypass heart surgery, two 3-day hospital stays for pneumonia, six months of chemo + radiation for Lymphoma in 2013 and another 4 months of radiation treatment for Lymphoma in 2016, and the only co-pays I’ve had have been for the asthma inhalers & statins that I need daily.  Probably close to $1 Million in (highly inflated) hospital costs charged to Medicare, but close to zero in my own out-of-pocket expenses.  Medicare is quite a bargain, IMHO.   (Maybe some of my critics now understand why I’m such a cynical and curmudgeonly bastard at times.  SFAIK, Arrogant Bastard Ale really was named after me.)

AMEN!!   Not to mention the 2016 DNC sabotage of the Sanders campaign.   It’s Time to Ditch the Bug-Eyed Bitch (DWS), chuck Chucky, purge Pelosi and punt Podesta!!   Defenestrate the Fat Cats!!

BTW, I was watching MSNBC earlier today, and was DISGUSTED by Chris Hayes’ open opposition to Oregon Senator Jeff Merkley’s support for the new Medicare for All bill that already has the co-sponsor support of six­teen (16, count 'em, 16) of his fellow senators.  Talk about shilling for the Establishent, Chris is almost as bad as SHilliary . . .

Right On!!  Her many negatives aside, Shilliary’s 2016 campaign proved that it takes more than just being against something awful to succeed.  Bernie at least gives us something to be FOR, and even if it has only
a snowball’s chance in Hell of succeeding it’s worthy of our support!!

While it is true Medicare for All is going nowhere it is something for Sanders to use to fire up his base. This isn’t about healthcare, its about 2020 election. The Democratic party seems divided between pragmatists and idealists. This is an issue the idealists can rally around and feel like progress is being made. The reality is no progress is being made. We are stuck in gridlock or even worse with Trump in power. But how do you build a movement around gridlock? Right now the trend in the country is toward white supremacy and fascism. It is paramount that this trend be halted. People on the left side of the political spectrum are out in the streets protesting and getting more active politically by calling and writing their representatives so maybe it can be stopped before it goes too far.

I would LOVE to believe that. Have you read the bill, or even seen it? Until we know what’s in it we can’t honestly say it’s an advance. There are numerous reasons to doubt that it is. Don’t hatchet your counts before they chicken.

You go, Unc! Medicare as it exists today is very spotty. My Social Security is less than a third of yours and so is my Medicare, and I have UHC “Medicare Advantage” (a scam by W to enhance the power of the Protection Racket), and it’s still spotty and unpredictable. I got some good news today, but my wife who is on Medicare and my same state MA for which we have to pay the state (which pays for mine at least for now), was complaining earlier today about paying for Medicare, AND for the “Advantage” (which collects the payment to Medicare and more), AND for a co-pay, AND for an additional inscrutable bill from UHC. I won’t even go into how inscrutable and opaque and maddening UHC is. Conyers’ "IMPROVED Medicare for all is true single-payer. It has some other big gaps, especially the unrealistic transition scheme, but that is where we need to go, not to something that pleases Schumer and Feinstein.

If you’re talking about RePooplicans, Eco, the original quote (from James Thurber, IIRC) is, “Don’t count your BOOBIES until they are hatched.”   (I.E. confined to the Booby-Hatch.)

That’s my COLA-less PENSION, not Social Security, Eco.  Not that the COLA for Social Security even begins to keep up with inflation, but a couple of extra dollars per year is better than nothing.  And the Medicare part B, etc., restricts me to the local County hospital – bare-bones and TERRIBLE nurses, but at least the doctors are mostly pretty good.  (My oncologist told me he goes to a nearby for-profit hospital – instead of the County hos­pital where he works – for anything serious enough to keep him there overnight.)

Yes, I’m familiar with the quote, though I couldn’t have identified it as Thurber. Mine was from a sophomoric joke set during the French Revolution.

I may have misinterpreted your earlier comment, which I took to mean you were well satisfied with Medicare. In your case it IS a bargain (at twice the price), but not so much for many people. I was thinking the $550/mo seemed pretty steep, but that’s because of Part D (which has its own problems). That’s where I lucked out, for the time being, with Medicare Advantage payed by my former employer of 13 years.

The bottom line is still that Medicare as it stands is not adequate for most Americans. The only way to have decent universal coverage is to get profit and employers out of the equation (unless ALL businesses pay a head tax for their employees, which is not going to happen). Then we can start addressing the over-testing and over-treating, and the lack of communication among providers, and the millions of dollars spent keeping dead people on “life support” for a few days or weeks, etc.

I read the bill. All 96 pages. More detailed comments on another thread, but I stand by these. The problem is not in the bill language - which is not perfect, but good. The problem is that the Dems, even those who have signed onto it (and Sanders himself) will do everything they can to compromise it into pablum. We have to find ways to force them to not do what they want.

NO COMPROMISES ON SINGLE PAYER/MEDICARE FOR ALL