Home | About | Donate

Sen. Warren Rips Anthem for Sending 'Bigger Tax Cuts or Else' Ransom Note

Sen. Warren Rips Anthem for Sending 'Bigger Tax Cuts or Else' Ransom Note

Jake Johnson, staff writer

During a Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions hearing Thursday, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) slammed the insurance giant Anthem for threatening to pull out of state Obamacare exchanges if they're aren't lavished with "bigger tax cuts and more giveaways."

This is beyond disgusting of this company.

Healthcare should not be motivated, nor delivered by selfish, greedy profit-based organizations or people.

Healthcare is a right of all those born into society.

$900 million of profit in three months to an insurance company funds private jets, homes in Aspen and off-shore tax sheltering instead of relieving suffering for thousands of people needing cancer treatments, kidney transplants, and broken bone settings for example.

The problem isn’t because poor people are poor; the problem is because the rich never think they are rich enough.

This is Capitalism! It’s an economic system wherein you gotta accept the bad with the badder!

Since DT is showing no signs of even cleaning up some of the pollution of the swamp we can at least dispense with one of its worst denizens, the blood sucking leaches of the health care insurance industry. The only cogent reason I have heard for their existence is that they support jobs but so did the WPA and they don’t seem to be around anymore. Let those displaced workers have the first crack at all those jobs the Party of No is pushing.

Not really but you gotta watch those suckers or they will steal your teeth,

I can only hoped Anthem’s share values plummet over this.

No, this is Fascism, the unholy alliance of giant corporate interests and coercive government power.
See: ObamaCare.

Don’t give any insurance companies any government money for any reason.

This is why I consider the so-called health care insurance industry in the USA to be nothing more than a mafia extortion racket. At 62 years of age now, I have gone without any medical insurance since 2008 and that was only for one year. Back then I was able to purchase a policy that was around $200/month with a $2000 deductible and zero copays. Those were the good old days. And that was in Nevada. After moving back to California in 2009 to be around my mom in her final year or two, that same policy was around $700/month. Before then I never had medical insurance as none of my employers offered it affordably over the years. I am keeping my fingers crossed I can make it until 65 and hopefully Medicare is still available by then. In the meantime it would be wonderful to see Medicare for All as that is the only moral and ethical option when it comes to health care. I cannot express the outright hatred I feel as the corporate oligarchs have taken over everything in their quest to amass “wealth” at the expense of everyone else. To say nothing of the endless wars around the world as they kill innocent folks for endless profits. God damn the USA corporate oligarchs and their puppet politicians to hell. Speaking of hell, I will take my chances in the after life when it comes to health insurance.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but corporations operate by state charter. If that’s the case, then the state can revoke that charter if it finds malfeasance.
Do we ever read or hear about a corporation having its charter revoked? I sure don’t.
S*itheel corp’s like Anthem are not m’f’ing asteroids, but they do act like them.

The solution is obvious. Nationalize the health insurance industry. Single Payer largely does that.

Insurance is a financial product, not a health care product.

Until all the New Deal financial industry regulations that were decriminalized during the past forty years are restored Anthem and other insurance rackets will continue to become more egregious with each passing year.

Free market worshipers with their belief that the market is all omnipotent and omniscience refuse to see it is devoid of morals. To give power to an economy directed without morals is ludicrous and a disaster waiting. Funny how all its failures are always blamed on the people never on a corrupted immoral system that perpetuates that corruption. This free market system is the basis of or predation economic system.

This should have been obvious some 30 years ago when the republican party under Reagan began dismantling corporate regulatory regimes one by one in a big hurry. The deregulation plus killing the anti trust laws have resulted in giant sized monopolistic corporate behemoths controlling congress and everything else today.

The elites know free market monopoly capitalism will always fail the majority common working class. By free market’s invisible hand bull shit hocus pocus the the 1% bourgeoisie mean free for them to do with it as they wish at our peril.

The jobs support argument is also used for military related jobs which produce no good goods. Instead let us invest in high tech,education, American made manufacturing and repairing of our infrastructure we all so depend on.

Aetna just increased my Medicare supplement plan by 20%. My income doesn’t increase, so what do I cut? These companies are vultures. Any Dem that doesn’t get on board with single payer had better be replaced by a progressive.

The U.S. has fallen prey to the very thing it rebelled against in the first place: an immutable aristocracy

They are not shy about letting you know who’s in charge. Companies pay no tax, make their own rules and they should give a shit?