Home | About | Donate

Senate GOP Accused of 'Craven Power Grab' and 'Partisan Charade' as Coney Barrett Confirmation Hearings Kick Off

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/10/12/senate-gop-accused-craven-power-grab-and-partisan-charade-coney-barrett-confirmation

1 Like

I wish the current progressive Pope would excommunicate Barrett for her anti-humane, extremist views.

7 Likes

When the questioning starts, wouldn’t it be good if
Kamala Harris asked this holy woman this question:

“There is a quote by an internationally famous man, and it starts with these words, ‘I like to grab women by . . .’ have you heard this quote, and can you finish it for the committee and the American people? If you have never heard this quote, then you must be terribly uninformed about events in your own country. Please finish the quote for us if you can. Thank you; he is someone who nominated you for this position.”

5 Likes

It is what it is, and the republicans won the big prize. Thanks Hillary! (Would democrats do any differently? I would hope not, but yeah, there are so many blue dog and conservadems, they prolly would.)

Neolibs/democrats own this, they made Ginsburg into a rock star, aka “Notorious RBG.” Anyone really think she’s gonna retire after that? Not bloody likely.

We all know Obama is famous for his negotiating skills, from the bottom-up, no surprise here:
The Quiet 2013 Lunch That Could Have Altered Supreme Court History
~https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/25/us/politics/rbg-retirement-obama.html

2 Likes

Wow, Ms ConeyBarrett shows up in a scarlet dress----wonder what that means? I guess she is a scarlet woman to many as she appears to think that legislating against women’s rights is the thing to do —as a handmaid!

Oh well, if the woman is elected to join the Supreme court and takes power away from other women to control their own bodies, and if the affordable care act is erased, and if even more items are erased which help the People—then were is no reason for people to listen to those who chose to dismantle what’s left of the Constitution.

In a way Coney Barrett will have legalized rape which would be popular among some men and they wouldn’t all be Catholic either.When Kennedy was elected, people were said to have foretold that he would let the Pope rule America— and that didn’t happen —but in Coney Barrett’s way she is making sure the women in America have fewer rights than men.
The saddest thing is that it would have been difficult to find anyone who could replace the care and thought that RBG put into her decisions-----but handing that court position to a woman who is truly a "handmaid, " in the worst sense----this truly makes the court into a meaningless mass----- of who would ever guess---- a group of Catholics who want to control America and all the women in it.
I was surprised that Ruth Bader Ginsberg was Jewish, while all he other justices were Catholic-----will that make a difference- in decisions? Who knows—we will have to wait and see. Watch out for your daughters-----guys. As the right to control women’s own bodies is erased—then you will have thrown your own daughters into this mess of a disasters too. If this turns America to the dark side----there are sure to be some men who will rape Cony Barretts own daughters just to seee what would happen-----and that would be a tragedy too. : (

3 Likes

That must have been a typo, didn’t you mean: UNHOLY!

1 Like

And I thought we had gotten rid of the worst of the worst when Shrub went home to Texas to paint. But the hits keep coming.

3 Likes

After watching the last Supreme Court confirmation/nomination hearings, I can’t bear to watch the live time coverage. I am saving the speeches printed online, given by senators against the hearings taking place at this time. The republicans clearly are not doing the right thing, simply put. There are a bounty of reasons that rushing these hearings with the stated goal of a seated justice before Election Day is a bad idea for our country. The first and foremost being the needs of the citizens of the United States. Our health and safety is at stake on all fronts and the govt is having hearings trying to beat another party in position to score. Our health and safety should be capturing the attention of the elected; they should not be orchestrating an EVENT (vivid!) having nothing to do with health and safety. They are playing games with our lives as they have since before January 2020. I’m convinced the word was out about the virus in November 2019, possibly earlier. And now a nomination hearing for a new justice has become a super spreader event for over 25 people. I know it’s more. What I’ve been wondering is how Ms. Barrett doesn’t see the the best thing she could do for her country is withdraw her name? It is clearly not her time. I don’t understand how she can stand with a stone face knowing the divide her nomination has made sharper. Or how she squares what happened to Merrick Garland with her illegitimate nomination process. I would really want to go down in history, if I were her, as writing a thoughtful paper on why this is not the best move at this time. She needs to take the moral high road (or she has gotten in that dirty, leaky, leech infested boat with trump and the rest of his cult followers). Who amongst us has the courage to do the right thing?

1 Like

I had to censor my own comment. Lol

1 Like

Wouldn’t that be a wonderful act of forbearance?

But----

She doesn’t care about justice, truth, science, the natural world, people of color, women, she never will. This is a massive, pathological power grab by extremely sick individuals that are solidly coalesced behind the republican leaders.

Most of the fiery speeches/lines of questioning we will hear from Dems tomorrow will be nothing more than campaign speeches.

It’s a waste of time. The republicans are loving this. Just like they loved the useless Kavanaugh hearings and the ridiculous impeachment hearings.

5 Likes

Politicizing the Supreme Court! :cry: Can we not get better?

1 Like

Republicans should be more careful about what they wish for, a lot of people have gone to great links to tell them why.

1 Like

Why isn’t CD broadcasting todays hearing. Watching on the guardian. Very interesting. Mrs. Feinstein gave barrett quite a barrage of questions which none barrett could answer to feinstein’s (or mine) satisfaction.

1 Like

Ever feel like you’ve been tied to the railroad tracks and the train is humming toward you?
We would like to say: “I’m mad as hell and I’m not taking it any more.”

1 Like

I recused myself (judge okayed) from jury duty once. Sessions did. She should be asked to if she already hasn’t.

1 Like

I think she was asked yesterday.

1 Like

Once elected, Biden needs to publicly insist that this ‘Handmaiden of the Extreme Right’ resign her seat on the Court. He cannot force her to resign, but he CAN insist on it as a condition of accepting the courts legitimacy. Failure to obtain it would justify packing the Supreme Court as well as Appeals Courts and District Courts across the land.

1 Like

Well said, Caroline.