Home | About | Donate

Senate Passes War Powers Resolution to Stop Trump From Launching 'Illegal' Attack on Iran

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/02/13/senate-passes-war-powers-resolution-stop-trump-launching-illegal-attack-iran

7 Likes

This is surprising, finding enough Rs in the Senate unafraid to cross Twump in doing their Constitutional duty. What will be even more interesting is whether sufficient votes can be found to override his expected veto.

20 Likes

I love the effort but I"m not holding my breath. Caligula will just ignore it if he wants to do it

11 Likes

A qualified “yes, but …”
Iran is NOT the only target in the cross hairs … the fangs are officially bared against nations of South America in which human beings and ecological well being continue to be ravaged by US backed violent interests of the gluttonous bent.

Why in heavens name is the legislation centered solely on Iran? What is wrong with this picture?

19 Likes

My thoughts exactly.  One very small step for a few men — and meaningless unless several others are inspired to join them in a vote to override.  Dare we hope that this step is the beginning of a worthwhile trend?

8 Likes

So if he vetoes it, what then? A 3/4th’s majority or something? Yeah, like that will pass

2 Likes

IIRC, it takes a 2/3 vote in both houses to over-ride a presiduncial veto.

3 Likes

Just a darned second there, Phred, let me sit down. You’re telling me Orangeman will simply flat-out ignore any law Congress passes? What gives you that impression?

9 Likes

And then there’s the ‘Bethlehem Doctrine’ with it’s new definition of “imminent”. Don’t be fooled by this War Powers Resolution…

8 Likes

They covered that one more generally awhile back with a new definition of “definition”.

5 Likes

I’m psychic.

3 Likes

Ignore it or veto it. And what are the chances that his veto would get overridden? Zip.

2 Likes

Surprise is my reaction as well. A similar resolution was part of a recent military spending bill from the House but was removed by GOP Senators…

Historically, however, the War Powers embedded in the Senate has never stopped the Executive Branch from taking us to war (usually with token resistance from Congress).

6 Likes

I concur.

1 Like

Very surprising and for once I can praise the Senate, or the part of it that voted for this. I’d like them to vote against ANY attack on Iran, and to pull our war crimes syndicate back from all its wars, assisting wars, drone killings, black ops and other violence worldwide. Dismantle the Pentagon-Industrial-Surveillance-Hegemony complex.
Call it the “Ban the American War Crimes Syndicate Act of 2020”

9 Likes

THE RULING CLASS OBSERVER

DIVIDE AND CONQUER IN THE AGE OF COLLAPSE

(h)ttps://therulingclassobserver.com/2020/02/13/divide-and-conquer-in-the-age-of-collapse/

1 Like

As Obama did when he attacked Libya. Remember, Congress actually voted to say they did not authorize war on Libya, rather than their usual cowardly dereliction of duty. If they had impeached Obama for that, Trump wouldn’t be able to get away with it now.

7 Likes

Amen. If democrats don’t do everything in their power to hold trump accountable, he will do what he can get away with. And that means some sort of eminent false flag go to war decision that congress will be too slow to stop.
What are they going to do, put him in jail? Impeach him? Oh yeah, been there and tried that.

6 Likes

Should we be glad that the senate has asserted it’s constitutional prerogative, or be upset that they are essentially allowing Trump to veto the constitution itself?

3 Likes

The Dims are arguing that Trump can’t veto it because it is a joint resolution. They are also saying that it is binding (even though it doesn’t say so because war powers are a special case). The courts (Trump’s courts) will have to decide these basic issues, so this is really nothing more than Dim posturing – while one of the many slaughters they have voted to initiate and fund grinds on in the Permanent Capitalist War Against Humanity.

This is the reality of Duopoly (s)electoral politics when all branches of government, the vast majority of media, and the most massive military and police state forces in human history are owned and controlled by a small group of oligarchs.

4 Likes