Home | About | Donate

Senate Poised to Override Obama's Veto of 'Long-Awaited' 9/11 Victims Bill

Bring It On!

Do not seeing it getting into any courtroom, and if it does it would drag on for years

Wow, this is truly impressive-- a vote from Congress for (at least the potential of) truth and justice. It also looks like a win-win for holding both the Saudi and US governments accountable for war crimes.

Very good question. I believe the greater harm is loss of life and livelihood and should be treated as such.

Exactly, and well past time that this reckoning is due.

Perhaps the corrupt neocon powers will give pause before intervening in yet another sovereign nation.

I have just written this to my local newspaper who may publish it years from now…

Reference: Saudis and 9/11?

Who knows the truth about anything anymore? In a rare moment of candour, Churchill wrote “In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies.” The West has been at war with the Middle East (excepting our ‘allies’ in Saudi and Israel) throughout these past 15 years since 9/11, then Churchill’s bodyguard of lies has made a prison for us all. When US presidential hopefuls, devoid of integrity, surround themselves with pro-war military, there is clearly no intention of ending the “Global War on Terror”. Meanwhile, UN envoys exchange hypocritical volleys of abusive rhetoric, whilst men women and children of Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen, Somalia, Sudan, Libya, suffer unimaginable horrors. How did we get to this point, and how can we step back from the abyss?

In the suffocating smoke and dust of destruction of the 3 WTC buildings on 9/11, some vague consensus has eventually emerged of Saudi ‘involvement’. This has resulted in US Congress passing a law to allow US citizens to sue the Saudi government. President Obama tried to veto the bill for several reasons, but primarily, financial i.e. the most recent arms sales to Saudi is worth an eye-watering $60 Billion (enough to buy several governments). His other stated objection was that the precedent would be set for others to sue the US for acts of terror in their countries (N.B. CIA was established in 1947). However, if the US has deliberately concealed evidence of Saudi impropriety in 9/11 – albeit for sound financial and political reasons – does this not make the US Government accessory after the fact? If the West waged war on Afghanistan then Iraq on false (not faulty) evidence, it would be criminal beyond imagination. How many millions must die to ‘avenge’ 9/11?

The Great War started with the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand – 17 million died. US entered WWII after Pearl Harbor (2,700 killed): Japan lost 3 million to the US half-million. USSR lost 26m and China 20m. These figures will be minimal compared to WWIII – actively promoted by the US. In June 1963, President Kennedy addressed a University on this subject: “And if we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children’s future. And we are all mortal.” When Kiwisaver Funds are invested unbeknownst to us in cluster bombs and nuclear weapons, then we must challenge the lies, obfuscation, disinformation and propaganda. Governments must be held to account and truly act for the people, not the Military Industrial Complex.

Good for these families. The House of Saud is a hopelessly, awful ally, An after tonight they’re probably saying the same thing about us. And that’s a very good thing They represent cowardly jackals in an area full of " sound and fury, signifying a big, ancient, empty nothingness " in the 21st Century. I hope these coming lawsuits open up the " proverbial" can of sand worms on this cheap, 3rd rate romance with the real barbarians at our gates. When can we start " the cutting off of hands " ( who signed the checks ) and the public floggings, etc ( who betrayed our country for a handful of sand dollars leading up to 9/11 )? Time for an independent accounting.of this whole, shameful debacle. Pres. Obama should be ashamed of himself, here.

This is soo true! Struggles are won by keeping at it…adelante!

The force be with you, MIMIC Buster. I am in love with Jill Stein (“People, Planet and Peace before Profit”) but alas, I am a political refugee from Tony Blair who found refuge in New Zealand. I shall do everything I can to support your noble aims and am pleased to inform you that some of my American born friends fully intend to vote for Jill. I am delighted with the veto being vetoed, allowing a window of opportunity to let in a sliver of light:
“We are not here to curse the darkness, but to light a candle that can guide us through the darkness to a safe and sure future. For the world is changing. The old era is ending. The old ways will not do.
The problems are not all solved and the battles are not all won and we stand today on the edge of a New Frontier - a frontier of unknown opportunities and perils, a frontier of unfulfilled hopes and threats.
It has been a long road to this crowded convention city. Now begins another long journey, taking me into your cities and towns and homes all over America.
Give me your help. Give me your hand, your voice and your vote.” ― John F. Kennedy

“it constitutes a window of opportunity for millions of Iraqis who have
lost their sons and daughters in military operations by U.S. military
forces and U.S. contracted forces since the US invasion in 2003 to
pursue compensation from the U.S. government for what they have endured.”[quote=“natureboy, post:11, topic:30210”]

I expect the US government will find some extralegal excuse to exempt themselves. But justice would be served if the perps were named and held financially, if not criminally responsible for lying to the nation, misusing public funds and for war crimes.
[/quote]

This may go some way in answering your claim:
S.2040
:SEC. 4. AIDING AND ABETTING LIABILITY FOR CIVIL ACTIONS
REGARDING TERRORIST ACTS.
(a) IN GENERAL.—Section 2333 of title 18, United States Code,
is amended by adding at the end the following:
‘‘(d) LIABILITY.—
‘‘(1) DEFINITION.—In this subsection, the term ‘person’ has
the meaning given the term in section 1 of title 1.
‘‘(2) LIABILITY.—In an action under subsection (a) for an
injury arising from an act of international terrorism committed,
planned, or authorized by an organization that had been designated
as a foreign terrorist organization under section 219
of the Immigration and Nationality Act…"

Since the US government has not designated the US government as a foreign terrorist organization, I think that pretty clearly makes the US government exempt.

This bill also only authorizes US nationals to bring suit, thereby eliminating the Iraqis, and any one else, from being eligible to sue.
It also exempts acts of war.

Just think if Mr. Furkan Doğan’s family could sue the Israelis for killing their son on the Mavi Mara and also perhaps the family of Rachel Corrie and the families of the sailors killed and the injured sailors on the USS Liberty can also bring suit against the Israelis. Could these have slipped in by mistake? Nah. Some terrorist nations will never be classified as a terrorist entity. So at first glance, it seems pretty narrowly tailored to let the biggest terrorist nation/s off the hook - unless giving money and arms to ISIS, etc. might qualify then that opens up a lot of wormcans:
“…liability may be asserted as to any person who aids and abets, by knowingly providing
substantial assistance, or who conspires with the person who committed such an act of international terrorism.” Hmmm.

Only if they are US Nationals as that’s who is authorized to sue. Read the text, it’s very short:

But as you note, this had already happened in other countries’ courts before this bill.

Bravo! Well said. You have my utmost respect. Thank you for all you do to inform us here.

Maybe they realize the jig is up for Obama and the rest of the cabal, including Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz and the rest.

That is interesting. I wonder, though, about the larger context of having to establish control over Saudi funds. Clearly that would relate to the recent Saudi threats with respect to the passage of just this sort of thing, but that still leaves a few questions:

• Why even provoke the Saudis to begin with? If the Saud family is complicit with 9/11, it becomes very hard to believe that the Bush family is not. Of course a fall guy or guys will be picked in such an event, but the Saud family is a little close to home.

• The viper’s nest of imperial actions around Syria might be related. We know at the least that the US and Sauds were funding ISIS over a good period, with the Sauds likely also providing a conduit for money and arms from the US. In such a field, with a coup in Turkey and Russians and even Chinese apparently in the battlefield, so severe a disagreement between the Sauds and at least some element in or around the US might have considerable results. The loyalties around this have been unusually split, and that may have something to do with Saudi divergence from the US path or vice versa.

The very odd actions of both major presidential candidates suggest that the game around electoral politics has changed dramatically, with the parties lining up less leftish-center and right and more international|national.

I think that all of these conversations will be different in another year, but I cannot say that I know how.

From ZeroHedge quoting The Hill:

The president said the measure could erode the concept of sovereign immunity, leaving American citizens and assets abroad vulnerable to lawsuits if foreign countries pass reciprocal laws.

“The concern that I’ve had is – has nothing to do with Saudi Arabia per se, or my sympathy for 9/11 families,” Obama said.

“It has to do with me not wanting a situation in which we’re suddenly exposed to liabilities for all the work that we’re doing all around the world.”

Of course he doesn’t want to be exposed along with all his hegemonic war machine buddies to liabilities for all the “work” they have been doing around the world.

Of course he doesn’t!

My thoughts exactly, but that’s okay with me.

Agreed. I’m surprised at the total agreement or bipartisan agreement to go ahead with it. It did happen under Bush, I expected the Republicans to kill it to protect him.
This country cannot begin to heal until the truth is told. Who knows it may even set us on a course to stop these ridiculous wars all over the world. I would love to see the years long planning to destabilize the middle east exposed. The truth will set us free.

Where is the justice of political power if it executes the murderer and jails the plunderer, and then itself marches upon neighboring lands, killing thousands and pillaging the very hills?
Khalil Gibran