Home | About | Donate

'Shameful': Colorado Supreme Court Denounced for Siding With Big Oil Profits Over Public Health in Youth-Led Suit

'Shameful': Colorado Supreme Court Denounced for Siding With Big Oil Profits Over Public Health in Youth-Led Suit

Jake Johnson, staff writer

In a move green groups and youth climate leaders denounced as a gift to the fossil fuel industry at the expense of public health, the Colorado Supreme Court on Monday reversed a lower court decision and ruled that the state's regulators do not have to consider environmental and health impacts before approving new oil and gas projects.

3 Likes

A commenter here was railing the other day about Trump’s possible accommodation of fossil fuel oligarchs in Russia. I suggest she focus her attention on the fossil fuel oligarchs who own our government.

7 Likes

Looks like the Colorado Supreme Court has just fueled activists. When you start stating that corporate profits are more important than citizens’ health, you’re asking for trouble.

10 Likes

Not in my opinion! The public is doomed unless we somehow have an all out war on the inevitable, coming catastrophes of the fossil fuel industries!

5 Likes

That’s a false dichotomy; she should focus her attention on both.

2 Likes

I had a similar thought. These are the kinds of events that motivate people to action. For the fossil fuel industry it’s one of those “be afraid of what ask for” scenarios.

6 Likes

Tsk, tsk … Shame on you, shame on you.

Is there anyone that actually believes these pals of oligarchs can be shamed into siding with the people they are charged with protecting?

6 Likes

It is pretty silly to expect any “supreme” court to do the right thing. History has shown us that they usually support the government in power, the large corporation or what appears to be the most profitable, for someone who already has too much.

5 Likes

The states of Colorado, Nevada, and New Mexico are a few of the ones that have multi-billion dollar underground facilities paid for by our less than forthright government (you and me).
They are likely to always side with the powers that be.

4 Likes

Yay polluted water! Yay polluted air! Yay the rights of corporations over all else! Yay the fossil fuel industry-the richest industry in the history of money!
Just f*cking yay.

1 Like

Here are the justices. The guilty should be relentlessly publicly shamed, humiliated, preventing normal social activity in public.
https://www.courts.state.co.us/Courts/Supreme_Court/Justices.cfm

3 Likes

More than a false dichotomy, they’re hand in glove; alternating spearheading strategies as a single team. Kabuki players par excelence. The addiction is full and complete. Study of the psychology of intervention under cult conditions might be reading beneficial to all.

1 Like

Find peace and try again. New organization of intelligent life on Earth has been and always will be.

So true. Linear perspective and cyclical perspectives. If its name can be named, its not its name - tao - different ways of resonating and we know so deeply so much for which we do not have any little mouth noises. Yet the autonomic nervous system provides us the 99.99% of means to live in awe and balance, engagement and love. Amazing that we’ve reached the point where simply doing-nothing-doing for say, a given part of the day to start, would be a productive improvement. Lots of folks already meditate…

1 Like

Jake, I repeat: it makes me crazy when you authors don’t name the judges involved in any rulings you address, especially judges acting on panels /courts.

1 Like

Especially since Colorado just brought in Dems in control of each branch of gubmint…

1 Like

T h a n k Y O U! That’s part of what I was getting at in my note to Jake. Ok, we can get their names easily enough. Now how about what vote they cast?

Notice the words “Shameful’ and “Supreme”… More like “Outrageous’ and “Corrupt.”

The answer, solar panels and electric cars. Let them eat this stuff.

Appreciate your reply, sorry I did not make my self clear. I am an admirer of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, so when I say war I mean non-violent war that Gandhi used to free India from British rule. But my friend, that does not mean pacifism! According to Gandhi, the non-violent warrior must be willing to die for what he believes, just like the violent warrior; otherwise, his non-violence is worthless and nothing but cowardice.

1 Like