Home | About | Donate

Sheldon Whitehouse Made the Case That Amy Coney Barrett's Nomination Is a Bag Job

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/10/14/sheldon-whitehouse-made-case-amy-coney-barretts-nomination-bag-job

4 Likes

Whitehouse became a hero of mine yesterday, and I have few heroes. Like as not Barrett will be confirmed by the complicit Republicans, but Whitehouse did a good job to impeach the process by which she was nominated. The sacred seat that RBG filled will be sullied by Barrett’s bought-and-paid for tush. I’ll not use the word, but you know where I am going. Corporate _____. Pacha Mama, please find her a nice volcano in which to discover your wonders.

19 Likes

The corporate capitalist hijacking of the court aims to send us all backwards into a kind of medieval Dark Age where religious dogma, feudal inequality and rapacious greed rule the land.
Coney Barrett, a handmaiden of the Federalist Society, reiterates the fossil fool mantra that she does “not have firm views” on climate change because she’s “not a scientist.” Basically my ignorance is as good as your knowledge. In these times this alone reveals an abjuration of responsibility and unfitness to be a Supreme Court judge.

13 Likes

“But they couldn’t refute the case that Whitehouse had made so relentlessly: that this nomination is a bag job being hustled through to please a half-mad president* who may be howling down the hallways of the White House by now. And that it was planned and executed by a vast and single-minded network of which no parallel exists on the other side.”

• Charles Pierce (article)

'Court Capture" - you bet.

“It’s really all the Democrats have for a role in this puppet show. They can educate the public as to how we came to this pass, and they can educate the public as to what will happen when the curtain finally gets rung down on the performance.”

• Charles Pierce (same article)

===============

Like a slow motion train wreck - we all wait, all around the world - for Nov 3 - to see just how bad it is.

Meanwhile, the climate waits for no-one.

Jim Hansen has something to say on climate, and I am all ears.

Atmospheric aerosols are apparently surging the climate warming these last five years, and as this link states - Dr. Hansen will expand on these atmospheric aerosols later this week.
~https://mailchi.mp/caa/accelerated-global-warming?e=1b95989ae5

The reason I post this, in fact the reason I am commenting at all is that I don’t think there is the snowballs’ chance in hell of fixing this criminal takeover of the world economy, or what many think of as the economy. It is not an economy - it has never been an economy. It is all about money - its acquisition and its role in buying politicians - who are only rarely politicians - mostly they are hired stooges for this same criminal enterprise.

Back to the reason for commenting here.

It matters not a whit what we do now - voting Biden is what will be tried -

But it matters greatly that the one force supremely powerful in todays world, in yesterdays world, and in any future world, is the natural world.

What is in James Hansen’s ‘pipeline’, is the destruction complete of this faux economy.

What a pathetic mob - the supporters of not just Trump, but of any and all who ‘believe’ we are in charge.

This applies - because we are at war - with Nature - and we will lose if we persist in this folly:

There’s somethin’ happenin’ here
But what it is ain’t exactly clear
There’s a man with a gun over there
A-tellin’ me I got to beware

I think it’s time we stop
Children, what’s that sound?
Everybody look what’s going down

There’s battle lines being drawn
And nobody’s right if everybody’s wrong
Young people speakin’ their minds
A-gettin’ so much resistance from behind

I think it’s time we stop
Hey, what’s that sound?

What a field day for the heat (ooh-ooh-ooh)
A thousand people in the street (ooh-ooh-ooh)
Singin’ songs and a-carryin’ signs (ooh-ooh-ooh)
Mostly say “Hooray for our side” (ooh-ooh-ooh)

It’s time we stop
Hey, what’s that sound?

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you’re always afraid
You step out of line
The man come and take you away

We better stop, hey, what’s that sound?

Stop, hey, what’s that sound?
Everybody look what’s going down (we better)

Stop, now, what’s that sound?
Everybody look what’s going down (we better)

Stop, children, what’s that sound?
~https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjSpO2B6G4s

10 Likes

Sheldon Whitehouse has long been a lone voice educating the Senate on the dangers posed by climate change. You would definitely enjoy watching his remarks of the future train wreak we face if we don’t heed the warnings of climate scientists.

9 Likes

“The theologian may indulge the pleasing task of describing Religion as she descended from heaven, arrayed in her native purity. A more melancholy duty is imposed on the historian. He must discover the inevitable mixture of error and corruption which she contracted in a long residence upon Earth, among a weak and degenerate race of beings.”

• Edward Gibbon, “The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire”

“In every government on earth is some trace of human weakness, some germ of corruption and degeneracy, which human cunning will discover and wickedness insensibly open, cultivate and improve. Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves therefore are its only safe depositories. And to render even them safe, their minds must be improved…”

• Thomas Jefferson

Learn, study - the natural world, of which humankind is one part. Never stop.

8 Likes

I don’t concern myself so much with the vague answers and total dodging of questions that Amy Barrett has displayed. What I reflect upon is the Mafia Don that demands loyalty before he gives you what you want. He gets what he wants first before you get yours. So, what has she promised to do for him?? We saw what happened to James Comey when he refused to pledge loyalty to the Don. The ax fell rather quickly. To him it’s really all about his re-election so did she promise she has his back??

6 Likes

“Don’t give up the ship!”

–Captain James Lawrence, via his better known friend and comrade in arms, Oliver Hazard Perry

2 Likes

“Ships are allright - it’s the men in them”

• Joseph Conrad, via mountaineer Bill Tilman in his sailing days (second half of his life - died at sea, age 80)

The colossal stupidity of the ruling classes knows no bounds Scott ! And it occurred to me just a few days ago that Trump’s followers most closely resemble a mob, a group of people unused to living well, who are suddenly overcome with emotion, and being unused to the flow of superpowerful endorphins and other brain chemicals activated when life is at risk - they totally lose it.

France is about to declare a nation-wide state of emergency, Northern Ireland has just closed all their schools, here in Alberta Neo-Conservative nutball Premier Jason Kenney is dismantling our healthcare system and laying off 11,000 Department of Health workers, Europe is coming apart at the seams, while in your country - unspeakable !

And all these people were voted in - or perhaps more accurately - they voted themselves in with their ill-gotten gains - money - which is the only measure they know of to delineate their pathetic lives.

You mentioned Oliver Hazard Perry, which put me in mind of Camp Hazard on Mount Rainier, Washington. I’ll append a couple of links for your perusal. I and my ‘group’ were camped at this same spot (links), in 1977, and we never saw a thing - cloud, rain and snow all the way up and back down, as we aborted at Camp Hazard due to the weather.
~https://www.mountainproject.com/photo/113391169/camp-hazard (pic)
~http://www.willhiteweb.com/washington_climbing/mount_rainier/camp_hazard_route_262.htm (the group pictured here looks about the same size as my group so long ago, before I learned to climb with the weather, and not against it)

You would think we as a species wouldn’t have to re-learn that lesson after seven million years - but you’d be WRONG !

What state are you in - how’s it going down there ‘south of the medicine line’, as western painter Charlie Russel might have said back in 1880. He painted a disappearing way of life, and one generation before him, Dances with Wolves said:

When he miraculously survives, he is decorated and given his choice of any posting, and he chooses the frontier, because "I want to see it before it’s gone."
~https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/dances-with-wolves-1990

There is such a thing as a diminishing baseline - wherein we see reality only in terms of our own times.

And so we live in an impoverished natural world - but we have added to the knowledge base in compensation. We know the stars, the Moon, the planets and the asteroids, and we are spectacularly successful in learning about a completely unsuspected Cosmos and its inner and outer workings.

Who is going to win out Scott - the intrepid adventurer in all of us - or mob rule and catastrophe ?

PS:

I think that Buffalo Springfield tune above catches the mood perfectly - ominous, deadly, the way ahead totally unclear ~ Neil Young and the artists - always way out front - our scouts…

3 Likes

I have read, just recently, Madeleine Albright’s fine book “Fascism: A Warning” (2018), and I just now returned from the local bookstore where I read the brand new book by Anne Applebaum, a Pulitzer Prize winning historian - “The Twilight of Democracy”.
~https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50155421-twilight-of-democracy

She splits her time between Great Britain, the United States, where she was born, and Poland, where she lives with her husband Radek Sikorski, a former minister in Poland’s government. Imagine my surprise on seeing Radek Sikorski so prominently figured !!

I have Radek’s 1989 book “Dust of the Saints” (1889), wherein a young Radek travels to Afghanistan to fight the communists, and ends up reporting instead at the bequest of the Herat war leader Ismael Khan !!!

Excerpt from “Twilight of Democracy” write up (link above):

“In particular, the modern authoritarian parties that have arisen within democracies today offer the possibility of success to people who do not thrive in the meritocratic, democratic, or free-market competition that determines access to wealth and power.”

Loyalty to the Boss - your ticket to high office - virtually always replacing those competent and competitive in the old system - with third rate functionaries whose only competence is that same loyalty to the Boss - and a willingness to disregard truth and facts.

Does that sound familiar ???

4 Likes

Was Camp Hazard named after Hazard Stevens, the first official whitey to climb to the summit of Mt. Rainier? Hazard Stevens was the son of Isaac Stevens, Territorial Governor, famous for having signed the Stevens Treaties with NW indigenous nations in 1854/1855.

Apparently not - rather for a Joseph Hazard (sorry - I don’t know any more of the details)