Home | About | Donate

Shell Oil Asked What People Are Willing to Do to Reduce Emissions. 'I'm Willing to Hold You Accountable," Said Ocasio-Cortez

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/11/02/shell-oil-asked-what-people-are-willing-do-reduce-emissions-im-willing-hold-you

5 Likes

AOC !
Twitch tonight?
Help the gamers.

“I’m willing to hold you accountable for lying about climate change for 30 years when you secretly knew the entire time that fossil fuels emissions would destroy our planet.”

Only 30 years?
(smiley emote)

2 Likes

Hi Awful Oil company Shell:

I used to think that the shell of your logo was a sea shell-----but now we all know that the shell really represented the Shell Game that you Earth poisoners have been playing on the climate and on Earth for years! We are willing for you to take a ride on a wild oil platform and then----blow up. That seems fair----right?

9 Likes

Okay, cut all subsidies to all hydrocarbon extraction companies; invest that money into public transit, ride a bicycle while in town. Take investments that are or will go to the building of nuclear power generation and put it into renewable energy. Appropriate all property of the extraction companies put that into the peoples hands, charge the companies for the clean up then begin to return the land to it natural state, and begin building new soil for it.

Companies that make plastics using methane cracking also need to be shut down and appropriated and placed into the peoples hands. Plastics can be built using biomass oils. Charge the current plastic conglomerates for the clean up and disposal of the plastics. Reeducate the oil owners, CEOs, management, both upper and lower. Take them to the farms and have them help in the rebuilding of soils.

Construct massive renewable energy works. (This is tricky. When wind energy is generated the turbines are built from steel which uses metallurgical coal in the coking process, this provides the best steel. Using electric blast furnaces just doesn’t get it in terms of the highest quality steel. For every ton of carbon steel manufactured it takes 0.8 tons of coking coal to do.) Sorry guys but that’s the way it is.

This should begin the healing process of the planet. It’s a hopeful idea but can work with the prerequisite political will. We have enough money. The Fed will print whatever is needed or they can die along with the rest of us.

13 Likes

Where is fienstien, pelosi, shumer??? what are they doing with all their experience and connections???

3 Likes

Cut poor Shell a little slack today. The price of oil has been well below $50 a barrel for about 2 years now, and with a worldwide recession they’re being forced to live on just high profits instead of obscene ones.
Of course, just like BP, I won’t be stopping at Shell anymore either. The list of businesses I no longer patronize is getting very long. But hey. Live simply and all.
Shell was correct. We should all do more to mitigate global warming. I suggest you start by never buying another product from Shell oil

6 Likes

Dear Shell, what am i willing to do? I am willing to stop buying Shell products for a long, long time.

4 Likes

What Shell Oil’s done in Nigeria - yes, this needs to be part of what they are accountable for as well.

11 Likes

What a stylish display. Who actually believes change is coming though either the Red or Blue brand of the Oligarch’s government? We People need a party for Us.

7 Likes

Royal Dutch Shell is from London, England.
I am thinking CD could have promoted the progressive candidates for congress.
Provide a biography, education, ethics, work habits, etc. Let us know how to
assist. This story, day before our most important prez election, has down
ticket implications because lots of citizens vote straight ticket.

If dems gain state house majorities, new district lines are by their choice.

1 Like

I don’t care if no one sees this - AOC has won my respect, admiration and vote for Prez when gets old enough.

8 Likes

Big time congratulations and as we say in ritual when a sacred one is properly completed, Yisha’ar co’ahh\May strength remain (to complete more…) ! As a reader and consumer of this particularly useful and rare U.S. Public Interest publication, I give this article 99.99% out of 100% grade in Media Savvy 101. Once I am made the Cultural and Re-educational commissar of the world, country, state, county, city, village, town or dead-end alley in a van down by the river then Media Savvy 101 will be a pre-requisite for any advanced degree in any discipline or field of education.

A good primer until that time I get to bring enlightenment to the mass communications of the world, let me leave you with this indispensable source of continuing education in Media Savvy which includes as a discipline\field of its own the Public Relations industry. They’re Canadian, natch, but not the least bit Crypto Canadian. These good non-profit and necessary critical thinking while spoofing cultural workers began with a manifesto and these are the magic woyds to their web site…
ttps://www.adbusters.org/manifesto

Mitch Ritter\Paradigm Sifters, Code Shifters and Song Chasers
Lay-Low Studios, Ore-Wa (Refuge of Atonement Seekers)
Media Discussion List and Looksee

2 Likes

What we must do to save the planet .

The fossil fuel industry receives a lot of criticism these days, and rightfully so. But in the final analysis, we are the ones who support the energy industry and it is our standard of living that will need to change. So contemplate what you can do for the cause

Personal Actions

End our love affair with the automobile

Ride more trains and buses

Car pool

Walk and bike more

Change from air conditioners to electric and hand fans in the summer and dial the thermostat down in winter

Become vegetarians or vegans

Refill plastic water bottles with tap water

Discontinue using aluminum cans with and without carbonation

Maximize use of reusable bags and products

Recycle junk mail

Recycle maximally, especially aluminum cans

Drive and accelerate more slowly

Climb more stairs

Plant more trees

Forego use of spray cans

Repair, mend and alter as much as possible

Buy solar panels

Compost as much as possible

Last person out of the room turn off the lights

Eat and farm organic

Fly fewer planes

Promote conference calls and web cams, fewer meetings

Use manual tools instead of power tools

Share more

Use rakes rather than leaf blowers

Decrease use of bottled water and refill plastic bottles with tap water

Maximize reusable bags and products

Replace lawns with vegetable gardens

Stop fertilizing and mowing lawns

Compost as much as possible

Minimize use of disposables (Pampers);

Maximize high efficiency LED and solar powered lighting;

Limit endless gadgets

Use motion lighting, where appropriate

Decrease consumption

Limit family size

Buy smaller cars

Local Government Actions

Reorganize cities, building taller residences with a smaller footprint (the end of suburbia)

Institute a carbon tax

Promote car pooling subsidize and expand mass transit

Expand bike paths

Have shareable (zip) cars

Ban electric outdoor signs;

Eat and farm organic

Eliminate approximately 50% of all street lighting and office lighting in unoccupied buildings

Federal Government Actions

Eliminate subsidies to fossil fuel corporations

Ban gasohol

Rein in the militaries for defense only and outlaw war

Shrink, do not upgrade nuclear arsenals and increase treaties

Discontinue night baseball

Promote making electronics, house wares, furniture, etc to be as durable and long-lived as possible

Promote recycling

Set standards for making appliances to be as energy efficient as possible

Discontinue single use aluminum cans

Ban electric outdoor signs

Subsidize solar and wind power;

Change from petroleum based fertilizers to regenerative agriculture

Reverse deforestation, plant more trees

Restrict spray cans

Promote zero population growth with free condoms and educate girls world-wide

Mandate making smaller cars

Proscribe junk mail

Scrap the mission to Mars

4 Likes

Amy Coney Barrett’s father Michael Coney worked as a lawyer for Shell Oil for decades.

But, of course, Barrett has “no opinion” on the Climate Crisis and doesn’t know much about it.

11 Likes

That is quite audacious of Shell Oil, given that NOT ONE of their proposed actions by the public, NOR ALL THREE collectively would make a dent in our global warming problem. Guess they are counting on a naive or uneducated public. Of the top 10 contributors to global warming per global warming expert, Jeremy Rifkin, number one is the extraction of materials and construction of buildings in all its phases, including heating and air-conditioning thereof. And don’t forget that the NUMBER ONE USER of oil in this country is the military. So, dear democrats and republicans alike could we stop voting for the defense authorization act, the last one being $730 TRILLION dollars. That is how we finance The Green New Deal and ELIMINATE POVERTY in this country.

3 Likes

Great data red horse, and not sure I’m recalling correctly but I think for every ton of cement processed, a ton of carbon dioxide is generated. But don’t quote me, now I’ll go look it up.

Since 50% of our car trips are within 5 miles of home, riding a bike is a good way to start. If I were a mayor I’d subsidize bikes for anyone willing to use them! Particularly low income folks.

3 Likes

Well the purists on this site threw Bernie under the bus when he endorsed Biden , so let’s see how long it takes for them to drag AOC into the middle of the street and crush her when she says something like " i’m supporting biden " .
Oh wait , too late .

3 Likes

It’s 1000 times less than that (730 billion).

Also, while its true the military is the largest US institutional user of oil, it is about 100 million out of 7.5 billion barrels per year or 1.3% of US use. I’m all for reigning in our military, but it does not help as much as you think on climate change (it would help the other countries we go to war with of course as we’d be less likely to engage in that criminal behavior).

3 Likes

adbusters!?
I have been hesitant to paste them here.
Thank you.

1 Like