Home | About | Donate

'Should Be Bigger News': Analysis Finds Nearly One Third of Owed Unemployment Benefits Have Not Been Paid

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/03/should-be-bigger-news-analysis-finds-nearly-one-third-owed-unemployment-benefits

2 Likes

The other pandemic that kills and disables the working people’s prospects for a recognizable path forward; the revelation that the system of getting assistance to people who need it, is antiquated and fractured into uncoordinated parts. It’s the old, " you take care of the things you deem are important, that are essential and life-saving in many instances, the rest as you can. " Our budgets, federal and state, reflects this truth. That’s depressing, right?
Our country has so many of these type of issues currently, we are backing into the future, hoping we quickly evolve and grow eyes in the back of our heads. We would be quite ugly if that happens. We don’t need more of ugly, imo.
It is what it is everywhere you turn right now, it’s not a good look, either.
" Hit me in the eye, maybe I can see better ".
Freddy King

1 Like

Maybe they ran out of ink and paper, lot of funny money being created.

It interesting that the current Space Program in the USA claims they do not have the technology to put a man on the moon and that it years away. They claim that the current state of technology only allows them to send a spacecraft into low earth orbit. Yet they put a man on the moon over 50 years ago!

With this unemployment crisis they had to hire people out of retirement to come in and try to correct all of the failings in the system because those were the only people who understood how that old technology worked. No one can code that stuff anymore.

This kind of stuff happens when an Empire in Collapse. The “dark ages” were called that because much of what was known and understood about engineering and science and medicine was lost when the Roman Empire collapsed.

3 Likes

I wonder if the dark age we are spiraling down into will last for many centuries like the last one did ?

More than 40 million Americans’ are just now getting their $1200 CARES stimulus checks after waiting until tens of thousands of deceased Americans got their $1200. Just like the 2008 crash $300 checks, the checks to the dead had a “deceased” notation on them, so it was no mistake…just a power trip typical of dark age oppression.

Mnuchin said that it would cost the gubmit too much money to require the checks to the deceased be returned.

1 Like

And meanwhile they PTB are pumping their precious stock market back up as the feudal serfs continue to work for scraps.

2 Likes

I just received my $1,200 from the feds May 18. I have not even submitted my unemployment application to the state yet, since the forms and instructions for contractors are gibberish, and the website keeps crashing. Others are still finding phone lines busy, and emails unanswered.

1 Like

Thats not true, the fact is we no longer “choose to go to the moon” and in fact rely more on the Russians (and their workhorse rockets) than most Americans realize.

The government, like many US corporations basically privatize everything and often that means globalizing the provision of it. As the various red tape barriers come down the percentage of jobs outsourced and offshored willl rise a great deal more. Both parties now are trying to get out of the US taking some responsibility for that situation. They likely intend to get out of their Social Security and Medicare responsibilities too. We’re also trying to coerce other countries into “liberalizing” their public services too. Which means ending them. How could we allow them to continue here when we’re trying to get other countries to dump them. Thats the reality, I’m afraid.

1 Like

~https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2015/12/11/how-we-lost-the-ability-to-travel-to-the-moon/#5c5aa3201f48

2 Likes

Thank you!
How very cool!

In many ways these new technologies are better, which is why they needed to get precise 3D models of the old engine. Once they had an accurate model it becomes very much easier to, for example, simulate the fluid dynamics within it. If they didn’t know its precise geometry that would be impossible.

Did you know that software to do this is free and its not very difficult to use at all. So now if you want a 3D model of something, say a statue, or a room in your house, go for it. Its fairly easy, at least if you are a geek, once you get the hang of it.

I don’t think the knowledge of the Roman Empire was lost from collapse, I think it was privatized by the Roman Catholic Church.
Knowledge is power and the king’s derived their power from the Popes. The Popes may have been reacting to the rise of Islam, Moors or less.
I’m a descendant of The Zoroastrian Empire. Our current foreign policy statement is, " We run softly at night and carry everything we own in a rucksack, tied to a big walking stick. "

2 Likes

I sure hope you saved your attempts to find work from the time you were laid off to when you actually file your claim. Those can really come in handy, I’ve heard.
Tell us all how that worked out regarding your claim. A friend of mine wants to know. Thanks.

2 Likes

Yet the collapse of Empires before led to that same regression in knowledge and there no Roman Catholic Church. Here I speak to the collapse of the Old Kingdom in Egypt, the collapse of the Olmec and Mayan Empires, the Collapse of various older dynasties in China and India and so forth. When subsequent generations claimed across ruins by their ancestors in many of these Countries they no longer had the knowledge to build the same things and claimed those old ruins and buildings built by Gods or giants.

2 Likes

Im all for supporting those in need but I would like an extra $600 a week for risking my families health and my own slaving away to make somebody else rich 10 hours a day through this whole pandemic!

2 Likes

May people now are too specialized, and dont know how or even that they should be tying all these different disciplines together to solve problems. They are graduating “professionals” that don’t know how to do the most basic things in their fields. And so much money has been spent getting them to that point, that nobody is willing to say “maybe we should be doing this differently”.

Good for you, I have yet to see a dime from the state or the feds yet.

1 Like

Just mentioning another employer dodge going on.
Send home most employees and when they start applying for unemployment bring them back with minimum hours. (not enough to live on.)
Throw them a line with no preserver on the end of it.

It never ceases to amaze: people laid off who were taking home $800-850+ a week and feeding themselves, because of nothing they had control of, got sacked. And, their state has a cap on UI benefits. It’s not rocket science why the Feds and Congress added in extra $$$. Sheeesh!
And, since you brought it up, why should I support you getting a tax credit for having those kids. No one made you have them, did they? No COVID made me do it defense, right?
Millions of hardworking adults don’t have kids, yet they support schools, etc. and OPs ( Other People’s ) children with their taxes. Let’s not go there, ok?
FYI- The happiest people in the U. S. right now are single working females with no kids.
" Some people love other people’s misery. And, this old dog can sing harmony. " JJ Cale ( something like that, anyway ). R U unhappy?

Cutting payroll taxes (FICA & Medicare) means setting your lifetime contributions lower & therefore your retirement check lower. IT ALSO MEANS THAT EMPLOYERS DON’T HAVE TO MATCH YOUR DEDUCTIONS FROM THE COMPANY COFFERS!!
Once again, the GOP is bailing out Big Business at the expense of workers!!

1 Like

Absolutely…my hsbsnd wld be making 2x as much if he wrnt working at all. AND he wldnt be putting himself, & therefore us at risk 5 days a week. I’m not trying to hate on anyone (aside from the president), it’s just SO backwards & very hard not to feel bitter about it. But hey…we have MUCH bigger problems atm.

1 Like