Home | About | Donate

Should I Stay or Should I Go? Brexit, Extortion, and the Path to Reform

Should I Stay or Should I Go? Brexit, Extortion, and the Path to Reform

Mark Weisbrot

There is a Mafia-like quality to the threats emanating from EU officials, who are acknowledged to be contemplating how much punishment they can mete out to the U.K. if the people should dare to vote the wrong way. "Vote remain, and nobody gets hurt," so to speak. Or, as The New York Times headline yesterday put it, "E.U. Countries Warn Britain on 'Brexit': You'll Pay if You Leave Us."

"Problem--Reaction--Solution" meets "The Shock Doctrine."

These Austerity Blueprints are being imposed on nation after nation:

"There is also a paper trail of thousands of pages of Article IV consultations between the EU governments and the International Monetary Fund (IMF). These show an elite consensus by the EU finance ministries — not just the eurozone governments who have been vulnerable or right-wing enough, or both — to implement these policies. This consensus includes cutting pensions, healthcare and other social spending, as well government employment, and spending generally; as well as reducing employment protections and instituting labor market "reforms" to reduce the bargaining power of workers, as is currently being resisted in France."

The centralization of power makes it easy to institute the same dire protocols in nation after nation.

The costs of war abroad create a pretext for austerity at home. That's why the "War on Terror" is being made to spread like a contagion. The more it spreads, the louder the elites argue for military (or armed guardian) solutions. Then, the money can be drained away from social institutions that actually better the lives of The People.

When truth is fully ON DISPLAY when does its utterance cease to be framed as mere "Conspiracy Theory"?

Here is Jeremy Corbyn discussing the Brexit issue:

http://www.democracynow.org/2016/6/21/jeremy_corbyn_why_i_am_voting?autostart=true

Globalization is the engine behind wealth inequality. It favors Capital and those that control Capital.

By design it disempowers the people at the local level so as to shift that power to the same 1 percent.

Iceland recently decided not to join the EU and to keep their own currency. Greece the UK and other nations should take heed and follow their lead.

Thank you for the head's up.

The battles are so intense and they are all over the planet BECAUSE the corporations have taken over with the intention of subsuming all human rights, suppressing the will of the people, criminalizing genuine liberties while all the while spreading war, weapons, anger, depression, agitation, poisons, and greater threats from a climate system that's as out of balance as are the systems of law, justice, and essential governance.

"The Center Cannot Hold..."

So Watch for falling debris!