Home | About | Donate

'Should Send Chills Down the Spine of Anyone With a Conscience': Trump Reportedly Considered Detaining Kids at Guantánamo

'Should Send Chills Down the Spine of Anyone With a Conscience': Trump Reportedly Considered Detaining Kids at Guantánamo

Jake Johnson, staff writer

The Trump administration earlier this year reportedly considered detaining migrant children at Guantánamo Bay, the 17-year-old U.S. prison in Cuba that human rights advocates have condemned as a horrific stain on American history.

When you scan the headlines here and across the web it becomes very clear how sick we are from everything we are. Headlines from across and around the globe describe chaos, a fall to ruin. This is my last, my friends, I can do no more but try to heal from this sickness. I no longer want chills down my spine. I wish you all well and I hope you to will try to heal. Be kind.

8 Likes

We need a nice LONG impeachment of Trump – he absolutely has
the instincts of a dictator. “Protect against all enemies domestic and foreign.”

Let’s get to the Trump taxes – the study has already been done by the NY Times –
Family underpaid taxes by more than $400 million, with penalties and interest that
would keep him in jail for the rest of his life.

3 Likes

Sorry but this has already happened: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_juveniles_held_at_the_Guantanamo_Bay_detention_camp

One of the juvenile detainees - Yasser Talal Al Zahrani - was likely murdered by US government agents in 2006. This murder of three detainees appears to have been covered up by the US government but was reported on in Harper’s magazine: https://harpers.org/blog/2010/01/the-guantanamo-suicides-a-camp-delta-sergeant-blows-the-whistle/ and in a book by Sergeant Joseph Hickman entitled Murder at Camp Delta: A Staff Sergeant’s Pursuit of the Truth About Guantánamo Bay .

This was all very, very troubling but in the brave new world of today’s United States doesn’t appear to have made a blip on the radar screen.

3 Likes

He is a crook and a liar. What else has he done?

1 Like

Remember Obama’s slogan - “Hope you can’t believe in.”

1 Like

reader –

You mean for impeachment? You can impeach for any reason – however,
did you not think that he did harm to asylum seekers and their families, children?

Or that he has done harm to the handicapped in America in destroying disability
benefits? Or that he has done harm to seniors in cutting Social Security? Or Medicare?

His future is a future of putting children of asylum seekers into Gitmo.

Tax cuts on the wealthy create ever more monopoly of power over the people … for
whom the government was allegedly created – and more corporate-fascism.

MIC – continuing building up of military – warmongering – support for Israel vs Palestine –
funding right wing government in Israel – Saudi Arabia and their war on Yemen.

Lying to the public – a pathological liar.

Are you really struggling to see harm coming from just those things?

Turning government agencies upside down – instead of putting them to work for the
welfare of the public – putting our agencies to use in helping corporations exploit the
public and destroy the environment.

3 Likes

Why would asylum seekers have been in a “dormitory facility” at Guantanamo?

The Trump administration’s proposal was first reported by the New York Times, which explained that Guantánamo "has a dormitory facility that has been used in the past to hold asylum-seekers."

Just how many POLITICAL PRISONERS does the US now have – and this goes back to
the days of Puerto Rico and their fight for independence!

Now – Chelsea Manning and Julian Assange and a free press threatened –

Meanwhile, authorities are struggling to identify new locations where migrants can be held in detention. The military awarded a $23 million contract in February to build a ‘contingency mass migration complex’ at Guantánamo, a plan that would expand the existing facility to house 13,000 migrants and 5,000 support staff in tents. That project appears intended primarily to accommodate a crush of migrants that might accompany a new crisis in the Caribbean, though it could theoretically be used to house Central Americans.

Physicians for Human Rights, an advocacy group that has long called for the closure of Guantánamo, called the Trump administration’s proposal “beyond appalling.”

1 Like

Yea, the list is long for this demon sitting in the oval office. All of this other stuff flows and intersects with his crookedness and deceitfulness. In some ways you can combine them into one term - evil.

2 Likes

It’s been a pleasure to read your posts. Wellness to you. peace.

If the next election goes badly I’ll be joining you.

“The idea of incarcerating children at Guantánamo should send chills down the spine of anyone with a conscience,” Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) tweeted Tuesday. “This is what happens when our president is so racist that he sees migrant children as an ‘invasion’ and not vulnerable children to be protected.”

Apparently, Senator Merkley didn’t have a problem with President George H.W. Bush, who imprisoned Haitian men, women, and children in Guantanamo when they were murderous government oppression:
. “He [former President George H. W. Bush] carried himself in the Oval Office with great seriousness, respect for the office, dignity, and that is sorely missing today,” (https://ktvl.com/news/local/senator-merkley-remembers-bush-as-a-man-of-dignity-and-respect).

Anyone with a memory will also recall that President Bill Clinton lied about ending the imprisonment of Haitians in Guantanamo and, instead, kept Haitians imprisoned there until forced, by court order, to end this practice.

Hi…it’s a pleasure to read yours as well…I came back to post on Chris Hedge’s new piece, I couldn’t help myself :slight_smile: I guess I be fading in and out or some such thing…Peace Bro :-)))