Home | About | Donate

Should You Be Afraid of the Fascists in Your Community?

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/11/02/should-you-be-afraid-fascists-your-community

1 Like

Yes. Very afraid.

3 Likes

Aware and wary is more apt. History has shown time and again that fascism empowers the local Napoleon Blown-Apart’s. And the quote in the piece from Oath Keeper’s is historically accurate in the sense that they are akin to the brainwashed poor Antebellum Southern whites that fought, bled, and died for those most responsible for their impoverishment – they are part of an ad hoc army that is outnumbered. However, those of us who would oppose them would be well advised to be ready as well. Bullies hate it when their intended victims put up a fight.

6 Likes

Why don’t we use the worlds most visible achievement platform for equality messages and means?

Hmm?
Sports has people from all races, religions and economic backgrounds.
Most of them don’t succeed without teamwork, and that includes austerely individual sports such as tennis.

But no, we have to use that to promote violence, divisiveness and war.

Guillotines now
Line up the oligarchs on the washington mall.

1 Like

There’s this little document that guides our government, and all civil officers and military personnel swear under oath to protect it. Obviously you’ve never heard of it, the Constitution, look it up, and read it. Use a dictionary, you’ll need it for the big words. Then take a long time pondering why you support a fascist loving, lying, con artist over that document. Your projection is just sad.

6 Likes

Trump has initiated a civil cold war that could escalate rapidly the way the Sarajevo assassination sparked World War One in 1914.

Like the Christian crusaders during the dark ages, as soon as Trump gives the command, many of his followers will not hesitate to start utilizing the arsenals they have assembled since Dubya ended the assault weapons ban 15 years ago.

1 Like

On occasional I feel a bit of relief from the pervasive hate fostered by this regime. Some friends who have always voted rparty are asking questions and becoming informed by reading and traveling and as a result of life experience becoming more tolerant. I just finished a 30 hour train ride and arrived in Chicago. What fun talking with fellow travelers and the people in chi town.
And yet there is so much hate to overcome. One of my biggest complaints is the fact that people who offer humanitarian assistance to refugees and migrants at the border are arrested for their actions. So I do agree that there is an urgent need to be awake and alert to the dangerous groups who are fearful of losing what they never had in the first place.

5 Likes

In the mid 20th century, the Communist Party, (CPUSA) was falsely prosecuted for threatening to overthrow our democracy by force and violence and the promotion of sedition. It was a lie aimed at American Reds and at organized labor. Today Trump can do it without any repression from the courts. This is because what he doesn’t threaten is the rule of the wealthiest and of corporations. Many took oaths, designed by red-scare ideology, to defend the country against enemies foreign and domestic. It was designed to mean us but, no domestic enemy has been as threatening, virulent or obvious as Trump and his nazified party and base. It’s time we demand they be arrested and held for threatening our nation with force and violence and the promotion of sedition. We need to be out in the streets demanding and end to threats of violence and to holding elected leaders legally accountable for their crimes.

5 Likes

An interesting article, but I think the author is confusing his labels, and such labels are exactly what cause the friction he describes. I get his point, but fascism is really just an economic theory that becomes reality sometimes.

Being conservative does not make one a racist, and being a liberal does not make one a communist.

It’s bad to feed the fire of hatred by placing so much emphasis on labels. Trump feeds the fire. If others participate, he gets what he wants.

Pony Boy, I refuse to live in fear, to all those fascists out there, in my area and elsewhere, all I will say is : Fuck them and the flat tired bike they rode into town on! I know the threat is real, and that it is out there, but I, and my family will not be intimidated!

4 Likes

One problem. If you keep trying to get people of color and immigrants to sign up for military training while announcing your mass gun purchases, do you really want to start a shooting war?
On the other hand: if identity politicals keep dissing people of traditional (however defined) culture, they may be surprised at how soft their recent pop culture support is when serious conflict arises.
Two known unknowns I hope populists of all persuasions keep in mind.

Denialism is not just a crisis in climate change issues. It is foundational to ‘centrist’ politics which denies its actual history while maintaining its ‘normality’ and domination. This blanket normalization deceives the populace daily, via mainstream media, distracting people with the details of particular dramas, while intentionally avoiding the big, necessary, synthetic questions - what does our recent history document about our political/economics, our culture, and its central role in producing racism, poverty and social violence? The correct answer is not allowed to appear nor inform our governance. Normalized ignorance and hate will destroy the culture that valorizes them.

1 Like

This “normalization” gave us Democrats Bill Clinton and Barack Obama whose track records put them to the right of Republican Richard Nixon…and it all happened within one generation, mostly during the Ronny Raygun Regime during the 1980s.

3 Likes

I agree RRR. But, it’s always good to have a little fear, if for nothing else, so that you know exactly who means you wrong.

No. I will not give them the satisfaction. I got a death threat on Reddit and I reported it to the FBI.

The frightening thing is that the police wiil side with these fascist thugs just as they did or do in Colombia and central American countries right wing death squads. So what would be the normal position of taking the moral high road and staying unarmed and depending on rule of law to deal with these violent thugs might not work…

2 Likes

If the fascists all have guns and we’re out there trying to fight them with strong words and protest signs I’m afraid we will be on the losing side of the civil war that they’re trying to start.
The left should consider getting armed and organized into local groups who will keep the peace should the fascists attempt to take over through violence when they lose the next election.
I know it’s not popular among those on the left, but history has repeatedly shown that those who are unarmed and unprepared in conflict situations tend to be the losers.
I’m sure I’ll get a ton of criticism for saying all this. Actually I’m not necessarily convinced about it, it’s just an idea.
Where I live, in Alaska, basically everyone, regardless of politics, has a gun or two for bear protection and for subsistence hunting deer.
The joke here is that in Alaska even the vegans go hunting.
At least around here our local fascists would think twice about starting an armed insurrection against the local government or civil society.

Yes they the maga’s are a bit mad. Lots of threats of violence on a lot of the local websites in red states. Websites that are not maga type sites. Just general sites. Some is “joking” not funny racism. Some is pretty serious organizing. They have to be talked down whenever Trump goads them into action again. One more reason to get rid of Trump as soon as possible.

1 Like

Digit, with respect, what “history has shown” is that the aftermath of violence to over throw tyrants, in this case trumpers, creates yet another tyrant, sometimes worse than the original. That said, Yunzer is correct that many in our police forces will either hide or join the fascist side so our hope has to be that the military does not support the fascists and/or not enough of them (fascists) actually resort to violence. Even knowing/believing that, I personally will respond to any threat of violence in kind. Isn’t it terrible that we have come to this. Eat the rich!

2 Likes

Your comment that in your state even the fascists would think twice about starting anything because everyone is armed is actually true. It is also true that people in Alaska know how to shoot a gun or are familiar with how to handle a gun. Despite the hype and hysteria about there being 350 million people and 375 million guns or whatever the math, the reality is that most people do not own guns. Many people own a weapon for self defense that they actually don’t know how to use very well if at all really. However violence prone people like those being discussed actually do own many and sometimes dozens of guns each and they know full well how to use them. The best defense against their violence is the preservation of a civil society that doesn’t pretend to play their ‘civil war’ game. Our protection is to not let them dictate our shared reality. People of non violence do not shoot up a bar or school. In a civil war our civil society loses. The dumb shit fascist neo brown shirts can’t really win anything but we sure can lose everything. They are just too dumb to realize that.

By the way, historically non violence always has time on its side. All fascist regimes eventually failed. The thing about fascistic goons is that they always fantasize about them being in control at the top but since when did that ever happen except temporarily and even that only on a small scale locally.