Home | About | Donate

Showing Fired-Up Small-Dollar Donors, Democratic Fundraising Platform ActBlue Says It Processed $420 Million in Contributions

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/07/17/showing-fired-small-dollar-donors-democratic-fundraising-platform-actblue-says-it

I have donated using ActBlue to Jay Inslee because his top priority is the current climate emergency. Probably little chance of the Democratic, nomination but I like to put my $ where my mouth is.

1 Like

Even more important than the money itself, this shows a LOT of people are engaged — and I doubt
that they’re backing Bought-Down Biden et al.  I’ve donated to Bernie, Liz, Merkley and other pro­gressives – and usually give a tip to ActBlue – but NOT ONE DIME to the DCCC, DNC or DSCC.

1 Like

We can do it. If that is true, and it seems affordable, have tax payers pay an extra $100 of tax to fund elections. That should include all donors. $100, one time, by anyone wanting to donate an extra $100. All money collected is split evenly among qualifying candidates. And no more self funding with millions of dodgy dollars.

1 Like

One of those dollars was from me. I finally gave in to the enthusiastic pleas of Mike Gravel supporters, and violated my very strict policy against giving money to Democrats, and gave a dollar to get Gravel in the debates. He made it, by the way. Now we’ll see if the Party finds a way to exclude him anyway.

3 Likes

Thank you. Do you remember the last time Mike was in the debates? Mike hardly ever got called on and said: " I FEEL LIKE A POTTED PLANT ON THIS STAGE".

2 Likes

Does anyone know if Act Blue (non–profit) also raise money for Green Party?

Usually, I send a check to Bernie once a month –
This time I tried “Act Blue” – maybe donations are coming in
so fast the website is frozen?
But I could put in my credit card # … but couldn’t be sure of the
card they were using as there was no confirmation.
Also they want dates, but the dates wouldn’t move … and not
sure if it is the date the card is good through, or what?

No, lol. I didn’t remember. I saw him in an interview recently - I forgot where, he’s been popping up in places like I think Jimmy Dore, Lee Camp, Consortium News. He said something about anticipating less than five minutes talking time, and he was practicing his short pitch.

I have donated to Bernie and will continue to do so. To me, he knows the issues and has a long track record of what he stands for. I do not think the other candidates can compare. I thank god there is the gentleman from Vermont and believe him to be a true statesman. Bernie 2020 ! By the way donated to common dreams too. Thanking god for their format as well.

1 Like

I always assumed the clue was in the name, but you made me look for it. Wikipedia says it is not affiliated with the Democratic Party, but “independently” raises money for Democrats and organizations. It’s not clear what organizations might qualify, but I doubt they would accept the Green Party.

1 Like

No doubt about it!

1 Like

The reason I hardly EVER give to organizations or candidates (I finally gave $1 to Mike Gravel) is because these donation companies have NO RESPECT FOR YOUR PRIVACY!! They want your name, they want your e-mail address (why do I need to give email address to contribute to a candidate?) they want your address (why do they need to know my address for me to donate money to a candidate?). They want to know your cell phone number. WHY WHY WHY??? Well, I say go to hell, you stupid donation companies!! I get enough junk mail and junk email already, thank you!! I want to donate money to someone or some organization, I DON’T donate money to get on some stupid list that is used for purposes I had no intention to be a part of…
And another thing, when you want to do something like contribute online, you need to give your credit card number. That’s what I did with this ActBlue company to contribute a measly dollar to Mike Gravel. So now, does ActBlue actually use that number to transfer money from my credit card account into their account, and then delete my credit card number??? Or do they store it somewhere for further use. I believe with ActBlue, I was FORCED to register with this site (a username and password) before i could make a bloody contribution. Now that I am registered, its quite probable that along with the record of my username and password and email address and actual address, they have my credit card number stored, thus to make it so much easier next time for me to contribute to some other candidate. But, that also means they are sitting their, a ripe target for some hacker to hack into their database and abscond with all these credit card numbers. Twice now my credit card has been used by people totally unknown to me, and the only reason it was detected was because my credit card company has someway to detect when things are bought that I wouldn’t buy! So that’s another reason not to use these companies. Are they storing your credit card number? I know that AMAZON does store your credit card number, and I think they should ban the practice completely. We should all do like Greenwich and send a check in the mail. There is NO REASON why we need a middle man company to be between your contribution and the person/organization you are contributing to, to make money off of you for doing that…

2 Likes

Did you see him on the consortium news podcast this past weekend? He’s been out maneuvered by the DNC again. He could have reached the donation criteria for the next debates, but the DNC added a criteria related to the polls. As Mike pointed out they reached that goal also, but not with polls the DNC recognizes (or controls possibly). If interested you can see in on the web site or on youtube.
I know he’s elderly now, but how did he get knocked out of Alaskan politics years ago?

1 Like

Never mind, a reading of minecritter’s post above, answered my question.

I’ve been a fan of Bernie’s for many years, and was thrilled when he was finally talked into running in 2016; only Liz (aka 'Beth) comes close – her CFPB was the real deal 'til it was gutted by TPTB – and
I also join you in supporting CD with a (small) monthly donation.

BERNIE & 'BETH (Or 'Beth & Bernie) in 2020!!

p.s.  I’d sure like to see a breakdown of where (to whom) all those small-dollar donations are going, but I’ll bet the DNC is doing everything it can to hide the fact that P’Loser and Biden et al are getting almost none of them . . .

Unfortunately, while Mike Gravel made the fundraising level, he did not make the polling criteria and will not be in the debates as a result.

How is it that a two-term Senator can’t make the debates, but a snot-nosed kid with no national creds (who’s only claim to fame – other than being a darling of the establishment – is that he’s a small-town mayor) skates in free?  Bernie and Liz have decades-long records that at least give us a good idea of who they really are & what they really believe; Mike Gravel has more than a decade of public service
we can scrutinize and evaluate.  The entire horse race (mostly between horse’s asses) is a joke!!

3 Likes

Agreed - for me the criteria about getting donations from 65,000 individual donors should be given more consideration than getting 1% in the polls (the DNC criteria made it so the polling criteria took precedence when a candidate had only one of the two satisfied). That’s very unfair to Gravel who wasn’t even given as an option in about half of the polls they used to set the criteria.

3 Likes

That is good question! I was too young to know Mike Gravel when he was an Alaskan Senator.

1 Like