Home | About | Donate

Showing How US Can Stand Up to Wall Street, Europe Advances 'Robin Hood Tax'

Showing How US Can Stand Up to Wall Street, Europe Advances 'Robin Hood Tax'

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

Ten European Union countries agreed on Tuesday to some aspects of a so-called "Robin Hood Tax" on financial transactions, offering a model for U.S. politicians who have thus far showed little resolve on standing up to Wall Street high-rollers.

"Now it's time for U.S. policymakers to also stand up to the Wall Street bullies."
—Sarah Anderson, Institute for Policy Studies

"Presidential candidates Bernie Sanders and Martin O'Malley both support such a tax—with Sanders making it a key plank of his Wall Street reform plan. Hillary Clinton has yet to announce a position on the issue."

Look for Hillary to rapidly get on the bandwagon with a penny tax on WS transactions.

Speaking of proverbial "Pennies from Heaven" represented by an FTT, I can't think of a better parody of - to me virtually made-for - the profligate whoring of Wall Street and politicians than Christopher Walken dancing strip tease for all its worth in... you guessed it ... "Pennies from Heaven" made, please note ...in 1981

Only politically feasible in USA way I can see to curb climate change is to buy fossil fuel as mineral rights ONLY from too big to fail fossil fuel firms. Maybe we can use whatever revenue comes of FTT for that.