Home | About | Donate

Showing Up at the Border for Our Shared Humanity

Showing Up at the Border for Our Shared Humanity

Sara LaWall

I can’t help but think what would happen to this migrant family and their brown-skinned baby at our southern border today. This child, Jesus, would likely be torn from his mother’s arms.

And the inn keeper said, we have no room for you, but there is a manger out back by the fence. The inn keeper (U.S. government) of today says it is full up, but offers no manger, only tear gas.

“I can’t help but think what would happen to this migrant family and their brown-skinned baby at our southern boarder today”
Thank you Rev. LaWall, that one sentence is sure to rankle white America’s senses, as well as the posers occupying Palestine, claiming to be direct descendants of the original Israelites.

Just when I think things couldn’t get any darker, I read something like this and a spark of hope emerges, once again. Thank you, Sara LaWall, for your bravery and your sacrifice and for giving this old gal the gift of hope.

Your statement presumes that if contemporary Jewish Israelis aren’t descended from the ancient Israelites, they don’t have a right to occupy Palestine. But if they can prove it via DNA testing, do they then have that right?

I live in Oregon but many of my ancestors were the original Israelites. The same is true of the current Israelis, whether you agree with their politics or not. (I don’t.) DNA testing will confirm that. It has also confirmed that many of the current residents of Jordan and Lebanon are descendants of the original Canaanites, although historians thought that the Canaanites had disappeared centuries ago. Also, certain black African tribes who follow a few Jewish traditions and claim to descend from the ancient Israelites in fact do–they are genetically related to the Kohanim, the Israelite priestly caste.

BTW, do you live in the US? Where did your ancestors come from? If you’re not Native American, what right do you have to occupy land here?

Your commentary, Rev. Sara LaWall, is a beautiful statement on our shared humanity and hope for a better world. Thank you for your witness.

Because of family commitments today, I don’t have time for a proper response. I will post a response to you’re comment as soon as I can.

Sorry for the late response.
History is rife with cultures stealing land from other cultures, this is a fact that I would hope you can’t deny.
My statement is based on the fact that the original Israelites were dark skinned people, considered today to be black or brown in color, (there are many religious scholars you can get this information from, and explain it better than I can, a simple search will reveal them), so if you’re skin color does not have this pigmentation, I’m sorry to say you are not descended from the original tribe. The overwhelming majority of Israelis today are from European descendants (Ashkenazi Jews), who converted to Judaism, and have no right to claim they are the descendants of the original Israelites. Sayin that doesn’t mean they should be denied living in Israel, but it does mean they shouldn’t consider themselves above the Palestine people, something I hope you agree with based on you post. My statement is also about the intentions of supposed (mostly right wing) Christians around the world, especially in the US who think they can speed-up the “end days” process by denning the above facts. These Christians also seem to find the “white washing” of Jesus and the original Israelites acceptable. Until the true descendants (who were scattered around the world and forced into slavery) return, the prophecies of the bible will not be fulfilled.
Since you seem to think my history is relevant to this discussion, I am a white male, 58 yrs. old living in the US. I am of German descent, my family members immigrated to the US sometime before 1840. I was raised with both Quaker and Protestant values, but don’t consider myself a highly religious person. I have no god given right to live here, and I am ashamed of the genocide perpetuated on the Native American people by the European settlers .This is exactly why I have such a problem with the genocide forced on the Palestine people. Using religion to subjugate any group of people today in any area of the world is wrong and should not be tolerated, IMHO. To me, I find it sad that so many wars were, and still are, based on religious beliefs. Hope this clears thing up about my above post, and that we can discuss issues in a civil manor in the future.

Brian,

I’ve done a lot of research into ancient Israel, including the history, archaeology, and science of those days. Your information is incorrect. The ancient Israelites described themselves as having skin “the color of boxwood,” which is not black or brown but kind of tan. You can see images of the wood itself if you do a search for “boxwood carpentry.” The complexion is rather like that of many Arabs today.

Ashkenazi Jews were not converts to Judaism; on the contrary, many of them converted to Christianity in order to save their lives during periods of pogrom and the Inquisition. Most remained Jewish but did mix with Europeans of Polish, Russian, German, etc. descent–sometimes by having affairs and other times through rape. That’s why a lot of the members of my family look like white Europeans while others (including myself) are darker skinned and look like Arabs.

I agree with you that this has nothing to do with where people have the right to live, and certainly ancestry doesn’t give one group the right to hold itself superior to another group. And yes, religion is and has always been a reliable excuse to murder other people. Sigh.

Martha